News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Monument Valley

Started by AsphaltPlanet, March 13, 2013, 01:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

I am considering a trip to Monument Valley Utah, and the Grand Canyon area of Arizona if I can find a cheap flight from Buffalo to either Pheonix, Salt Lake City, or Las Vegas at the end of next week.  I am wondering if anybody has taken to the time to explore this area and can recommend any good scenic roads in this part of the US.  This is new territory for me, and I am looking more for amazing scenery than interesting road signs or anything like that.

I am familiar with the US-89 failure in Page.

Suggestions?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

corco

If I were to prioritize, besides US-163.

1. UT-12. You simply must drive this. It's amazing.
2. UT-9. It's expensive to drive through Zion, but very cool and if you're coming all the way from Buffalo what's another $25. Plus you'll get access to the other national parks. Check out Bryce Canyon and Kodachrome State Park too
3. CO-141 from Delta to Cortez. It might be a bit off your beaten path, but that's a breathtaking road with little tourist traffic. If you can, do it southbound.

The Moki Dugway (UT-261) is an interesting novelty. It's a must for a roadgeek, I guess, but honestly the scenery isn't super amazing there, but if you're clinching US-163 do it just to do it.

If you fly into Phoenix, I'd take 93->89->89A up one way. That's also quite beautiful- the red rocks of Sedona and the interestingness that is Jerome.

US 89A is a nice drive, but it does get tricky with the 89A closure. Arizona 98 and US-160 out to Kayenta is fairly boring. The Navajo National Monument (AZ 564) has some nice scenery nearby though.

Then obviously there's Arches and Canyonlands and the whole Moab area, and that's amazing too.

agentsteel53

I would also add UT-95 as a recommendation, and you're likely to get onto UT-24 as well - if not on purpose, then by the necessity of getting to Point B.

also consider flying into Denver, and taking I-70 out. 

I'd also recommend Antelope Canyon.  it is a guided tour; information available here.  it may be a bear to get to Page because of the US-89 break, though.

https://www.aaroads.com/blog/2009/11/30/antelope-canyon-ii/
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

If the flight is going to be taken (rather than purchased) next week, it's probably too soon, but the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (accessible in-season from US Alt 89) is very different and less crowded, and I think better, than the South Rim.  Not that the South Rim is completely safe from winter storm closures.

I agree with Corco that AZ 98 and US 160 to Kayenta is pretty boring, though maybe unavoidable.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

texaskdog

Gotta hit Arches, Canyonlands, and Bryce Canyon, and Zion.  Monument Valley itself isn't very exciting.  Hit the Moki Dugway too and I-15 through AZ.  YOu can map a good route and I know of many good places to stay too if you message me once you decide.

AsphaltPlanet

I have been looking at flights, it is a fair bit cheaper to fly into Denver than it is to Pheonix.  My preference is Pheonix, as I wouldn't mind to drive a few freeways in the area and enjoy an In'n'Out burger while there.  I'll probably book later tonight.  I plan to fly in on Wednesday evening next week, and out late in the evening on the following Monday, so I don't have days to spend driving between the airport and destinations.

Maybe the south rim of the Grand Canyon is too ambitions if I fly into Denver?  It sounds like most of the really interesting roads are to the north and east of the Grand Canyon anyways.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

texaskdog

Fly into Vegas, it's much cheaper and you're much closer to GC & Utah

oscar

Quote from: texaskdog on March 13, 2013, 03:35:45 PMMonument Valley itself isn't very exciting.  Hit the Moki Dugway too and I-15 through AZ.

While the Dugway is unpaved, I wouldn't worry much about the rental car contract limit on driving unpaved roads.  It's in pretty good shape, and my Prius took it in stride in both directions (the 10% grade wasn't an issue uphill).

OTOH, I did I-15 in Arizona just a few weeks ago, and it was a letdown.  I-70 through Glenwood Canyon in Colorado is far better, and would be a logical part of a round-trip out of Denver.  But if you do I-15 in Arizona, it's not too far from segments of I-15 in Utah posted at 80mph.

I thought Monument Valley was really neat in sunny weather, not so much under overcast.

agentsteel53

Quote from: oscar on March 14, 2013, 11:36:14 AM

While the Dugway is unpaved, I wouldn't worry much about the rental car contract limit on driving unpaved roads.  It's in pretty good shape, and my Prius took it in stride in both directions (the 10% grade wasn't an issue uphill).

that's it!?  here I had thought it was something crazy like a 40% grade.  that's why I had never done it.

wow, I'm totally missing out.

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 14, 2013, 12:31:50 PMhere I had thought it was something crazy like a 40% grade.  that's why I had never done it.

You need to do FM 170 east of Presidio, Texas--there I think the grade gets up to 17%.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 14, 2013, 12:40:36 PM

You need to do FM 170 east of Presidio, Texas--there I think the grade gets up to 17%.

I've done that one.  but that road is paved, thus ostensibly better traction.  there's a couple of roads in the Sierras (CA-4, CA-108) that get to 26% or so, but again all paved.

I've done a 43% two-track in Iceland, and that needed every bit of four wheel drive we had.  I had thought the Dugway would be similar, which is why I never dared to go down it in a sedan.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Quotethat's it!?  here I had thought it was something crazy like a 40% grade.  that's why I had never done it.

I'd bet 100s of dollars you've driven things far more challenging than the Moki Dugway. It's really not a technically challenging drive at all.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on March 14, 2013, 12:54:21 PM
I'd bet 100s of dollars you've driven things far more challenging than the Moki Dugway. It's really not a technically challenging drive at all.

I sure have.

this photo which I just googled reminds me very much of an old US-64 alignment in New Mexico.

http://goo.gl/maps/ztWgo

Moki Dugway:

Arroyo Hondo bridge approach:

I did that one in a Prius, which is about as low a clearance a vehicle as exists on the road.  probably about 12% grade.

jake@aaroads.com

Grzrd

The Shafer Trail in Canyonlands N.P. got my adrenalin going (not my video):

texaskdog

Quote from: oscar on March 14, 2013, 11:36:14 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 13, 2013, 03:35:45 PMMonument Valley itself isn't very exciting.  Hit the Moki Dugway too and I-15 through AZ.

OTOH, I did I-15 in Arizona just a few weeks ago, and it was a letdown.  I-70 through Glenwood Canyon in Colorado is far better, and would be a logical part of a round-trip out of Denver.  But if you do I-15 in Arizona, it's not too far from segments of I-15 in Utah posted at 80mph.

I thought Monument Valley was really neat in sunny weather, not so much under overcast.

Dang, I didn't even think about the rental car unpaved roads rule when we were on it in 2011.  Oops.

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 11:06:33 PM

Forgot about the rental car rule when we went in 2011, oops!!! Moki does get pretty narrow but two cars can pass.  Worth the visit and not way out of the way.

AsphaltPlanet

I booked a flight out of Phonex for arriving on Wednesday.

This is my tentaive routing idea:
http://goo.gl/maps/ua8b2

Stay in Phoenix on Wednesday night

Thursday: Start in Phoenix, east along US-60 to Globe then northwest through Tonto National Park through to Camper Verde then west along I-40 staying the night in Kingman.

Friday: Start in Kingman, northwest towards the Hoover Dam towards with a quick stop in Temple Bar, and seeing the Hoover Dam from the new US-93 bridge.  Pretty well straight through Las Vegas and Stay the night in Washington or Bloomington Hills UT

Saturday: Utah, drive east through Zion, Bryce Canyon through to I-70 where I take that through the San Rafael Swell.  Follow I-70 east through to Grand Junction CO.

Sunday: South along US50/550 and CO 145 and then back north through Moab and then staying in Salina Sunday:

Monday:Southerly from Salina towards Page and then staying in Flagstaff.

Tusday: Grand Canyon area around Flagstaff and then return to Phoenix for overnight flight back to Buffalo for Wednesday

Anybody have any thoughts? is this too ambitious?  Am I missing anything obvious?  I wouldn't mind to get out of the car a couple of times to go for a hike for an hour.  Any recommendations in parks that aren't too far off my beaten path?

I appreciate any feedback.  While I have been to the Hoover Dam before, everything else is un trodden territory for me.

oscar

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 19, 2013, 02:11:20 AM
Friday: Start in Kingman, northwest towards the Hoover Dam towards with a quick stop in Temple Bar, and seeing the Hoover Dam from the new US-93 bridge. 

You won't be able to see Hoover Dam while driving across the bridge.  Plan on a short detour off US 93 to a parking area for the pedestrian walkway on the bridge, which will have clear views of the dam.

Thereafter, you can also drive to the dam, for excellent views of the bridge.

dfilpus

US 89 between Page and Flagstaff is closed indefinitely due to a landslide. If you don't want to see the Glen Canyon dam, take US 89A from Kanab to US 89. If you want to see the dam, then you will be detouring east along AZ 98 to US 160 and US 160 back to US 89.

corco

QuoteThursday: Start in Phoenix, east along US-60 to Globe then northwest through Tonto National Park through to Camper Verde then west along I-40 staying the night in Kingman.

Friday: Start in Kingman, northwest towards the Hoover Dam towards with a quick stop in Temple Bar, and seeing the Hoover Dam from the new US-93 bridge.  Pretty well straight through Las Vegas and Stay the night in Washington or Bloomington Hills UT

If you can, I'd stay on 260 to Cottonwood, then 89A south to 89 to I-40. That would easily be one of the most scenic stretches on your entire trip.

On your way through the Tonto National Forest, definitely stop at Tonto Natural Bridge State Park if you like to get outside.

I'm not sure what your Friday plans are, but if it were me I'd try to spend the night in Williams or Ash Fork and then tack the rest of that I-40 driving onto Friday, since your Friday is pretty light on driving and that area, besides Hoover Dam, has a lot less to see.

Alternatively, if there's a way to do less driving on Saturday and spread out your Vegas-Grand Junction stretch, that would be ideal too. Especially if you want to get outside- you're going to want to go for your hikes and things around Escalante. I don't know what your Salina->Page plans are, but if it's just US 89- that is a scenic stretch of road, but piddly compared to some of the other stuff you'll be seeing, so maybe get more into that day.

agentsteel53

Quote from: oscar on March 19, 2013, 06:07:30 AM

You won't be able to see Hoover Dam while driving across the bridge.  Plan on a short detour off US 93 to a parking area for the pedestrian walkway on the bridge, which will have clear views of the dam.

there might be TSA there.  fuck the Hoover Dam.

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 19, 2013, 12:09:34 PM
Quote from: oscar on March 19, 2013, 06:07:30 AM

there might be TSA there.  fuck the Hoover Dam.

Nobody messed with me when I took lots of bridge photos from the dam.  Once heavy trucks were banned from the dam, and diverted to the bridge, the concern level dropped a lot.

texaskdog

I booked a flight out of Phonex for arriving on Wednesday.

This is my tentaive routing idea:
http://goo.gl/maps/ua8b2

Stay in Phoenix on Wednesday night

Thursday: Start in Phoenix, east along US-60 to Globe then northwest through Tonto National Park through to Camper Verde then west along I-40 staying the night in Kingman.

Saturday: Utah, drive east through Zion, Bryce Canyon through to I-70 where I take that through the San Rafael Swell.  Follow I-70 east through to Grand Junction CO.

Sunday: South along US50/550 and CO 145 and then back north through Moab and then staying in Salina Sunday:

Tusday: Grand Canyon area around Flagstaff and then return to Phoenix for overnight flight back to Buffalo for Wednesday

Anybody have any thoughts? is this too ambitious?  Am I missing anything obvious?  I wouldn't mind to get out of the car a couple of times to go for a hike for an hour.  Any recommendations in parks that aren't too far off my beaten path?

I appreciate any feedback.  While I have been to the Hoover Dam before, everything else is un trodden territory for me.

I wouldn't do both Zion & Bryce along with a lot of other driving in one day.  Spend a day in each if possible.  70 isn't that interesting west of the swell, which can be easily accessed from 24 from the east.  Utah 12 east of Bryce is not to be missed...take that to Torrey, hit capitol reef if you have time, head NE to Hanksville and go a few miles west when you get to 70 to see the swell.    I would do Moab after the Swell and then jump back to I-70 east rather than double back.

texaskdog

and for all these parks, spend the $80 on the annual park pass.  You'll likely already come out ahead and have it to use for a full year.

Sonic99

Quote from: corco on March 19, 2013, 11:49:41 AM
I'm not sure what your Friday plans are, but if it were me I'd try to spend the night in Williams or Ash Fork and then tack the rest of that I-40 driving onto Friday, since your Friday is pretty light on driving and that area, besides Hoover Dam, has a lot less to see.

I live in Williams and would be happy to give advice on the local area if you decide to stay near here.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

AsphaltPlanet

Well, despite Delta's best efforts I made it to Phoenix this morning.  Arizona is amazing.  I was blown away in Tonto National Park, and that was just day one.

US-60 east of Superior:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.