News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

February 2023 CA Storm

Started by TJS23, February 23, 2023, 12:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

A large amount of US 6 is closed due to blizzard conditions. Bishop to NV SR 360. Several crashes, many involving trucks.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

Seeing a lot more closures on the Nevada side today. The entire lengths of NV SRs 341 and 342 are closed due to blowing snow. SR 431 is closed over Mount Rose Summit and I-580/US 395 is closed between exits 16 and 24 (over the Galena Creek Bridge). A large segment of US 93 in northeastern Nevada was closed this morning and there is currently a closure on SR 229 east of Elko.

On the CA side, about half of SR 32 is closed, as are SRs 36/89 west of Chester. US 50 has been open intermittently; only real alternate right now is SR 44.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

roadfro

Quote from: cl94 on February 28, 2023, 03:52:50 PM
Seeing a lot more closures on the Nevada side today. The entire lengths of NV SRs 341 and 342 are closed due to blowing snow. SR 431 is closed over Mount Rose Summit and I-580/US 395 is closed between exits 16 and 24 (over the Galena Creek Bridge). A large segment of US 93 in northeastern Nevada was closed this morning and there is currently a closure on SR 229 east of Elko.

I was out last night and while headed home, I saw this chain sign on WB I-80 just past Keystone Ave (exit 12) flashing. I think I've seen that sign active once or twice in the last decade. Sure enough, when I got home, I saw that NDOT's 511 map was showing I-80 within the McCarran Loop in Reno/Sparks marked as chains/snow tires required last night–that's a fairly rare occurrence. And as I'm typing this, the map is showing those chain controls on again tonight.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jdbx

It's going to be a nightmare up in the Tahoe basin this weekend.  They are just starting to dig out from the blizzard, and as soon as I-80 and US-50 are open, people are going to be pouring in from the Bay Area thinking that they are going to be able to ski that fresh pow pow.  Nobody I have spoken to down here has any clue just how serious the situation up there is right now. I tried to talk a coworker out of taking the drive up tomorrow with his family to ski Palisades, I ended up showing him pictures from last night's avalanche. Who knows if he's actually going to listen, but with more storms coming in this weekend, the people stuck up there is going to become a major news story.

cl94

Per people in the area who ski (I don't despite working next to a ski resort), the ski conditions aren't even that good right now. Not like you can get to the resorts with the lack of plowing on local roads.

50 was fully open this morning and, as of now, is the only fully open road across the Sierra. 80 is open EB, but WB still has a soft closure (you're not getting through from Verdi unless you're a local, but apparently can get on in Truckee). Next storm hits...Saturday around noon, so anyone who comes up to ski may end up stuck there.

88 and 89 are still closed south of Tahoe and around Emerald Bay, as is 431 on the Nevada side. I'll be up there tomorrow (work) and will be able to report on ground conditions, but I doubt anything other than 50 will be decent. Avalanches and drifting have been a major concern with this storm and that Palisades avalanche is far from the only one.

Maybe your friends want to be the subject of the Ice Road Tahoe video?

bing101

cl94

Up at Tahoe for work right now and I can say from experience that the roads are BAD. 50 in Nevada has a lot of washboarded ice/dense snow and only one lane is plowed. Both US 50 and SR 207 continue to have R2 chain controls and they are probably necessary. Side streets (such as the one my office is on) are mostly one lane and rutted with high walls of snow on either side.

For the love of god, don't go to the Sierra right now unless you have damn good reason to be here. Roads are crap, there's no parking, and most rec facilities haven't been plowed yet (nor will they be before the next storm on Saturday).

gonealookin

Continuing this into March...in addition to multiple segments of US 395 being closed, US 95 also now has a closure near Walker Lake north of Hawthorne, so access between Reno and Las Vegas requires swinging even further out into central Nevada.

https://twitter.com/nevadadotreno/status/1634262500509388800

Max Rockatansky

I ended up stranded on Monterey due to flooding on CA 156 and CA 25 north of Hollister and US 101 near Gilroy.  My company paid for another hotel stay for the night, although it was a hell of a time getting back through Prunedale.  I'll reassess what routes are available tomorrow morning to get back to the Central Valley.  My bail out option seems to be CA 46. 

Max Rockatansky

RZF

Quote from: gonealookin on March 10, 2023, 02:11:22 PM
Continuing this into March...in addition to multiple segments of US 395 being closed, US 95 also now has a closure near Walker Lake north of Hawthorne, so access between Reno and Las Vegas requires swinging even further out into central Nevada.

https://twitter.com/nevadadotreno/status/1634262500509388800

Yet another example showing why we need an interstate connection from Reno to Las Vegas to Phoenix. I-11's complete route is long overdue.

Max Rockatansky

Because some miniscule segment of US 95 in the middle of the Great Basin Desert had a minor problem that could also easily happen to an Interstate?  Tell me, how often does the likes of Interstate 70 close in Glenwood Canyon compared to anything along US 95 in the Great Basin?

pderocco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 10, 2023, 10:50:35 PM
Because some miniscule segment of US 95 in the middle of the Great Basin Desert had a minor problem that could also easily happen to an Interstate?  Tell me, how often does the likes of Interstate 70 close in Glenwood Canyon compared to anything along US 95 in the Great Basin?

They'd never build an interstate on the west side of the lake like that, where the cliffs would have to come right down to the edge of the road. This isn't Glenwood Canyon; there are alternate routes they could take.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on March 10, 2023, 11:38:46 PM

They'd never build an interstate on the west side of the lake like that, where the cliffs would have to come right down to the edge of the road. This isn't Glenwood Canyon; there are alternate routes they could take.

Yes, the west shore of Walker Lake is known for being slide prone in wet weather.  That said, the  fact we have so many on this forum who seriously think I-11 is needed north of Las Vegas is vexing to me.  AADTs and actual critique from  US 95 corridor users seems to be something that doesn't resonate with anyone.  I'm really trying to understand the rationale but it's only one of several things with I-11 that don't make much logical sense.

cl94

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 10, 2023, 11:44:16 PM
Quote from: pderocco on March 10, 2023, 11:38:46 PM

Yes, the west shore of Walker Lake is known for being slide prone in wet weather.  That said, the  fact we have so many on this forum who seriously think I-11 is needed north of Las Vegas is vexing to me.  AADTs and actual critique from  US 95 corridor users seems to be something that doesn't resonate with anyone.  I'm really trying to understand the rationale but it's only one of several things with I-11 that don't make much logical sense.

That region in general is very slide prone. But unlike many parts of the west, there are two excellent detours in the form of NV 361 and NV 376. For through traffic between Fallon and Tonopah, US 50 to NV 361 has a nearly-identical travel time. Any I-11 alignment would likely have a slide-prone location and the slide issue along US 95 could be remedied at much lower cost than building a full freeway. If NDOT was that concerned, they'd build a reroute just in that area.

I don't see people claiming the slides US 395 has been plagued with this year mean that needs an Interstate corridor, and those have been far more disruptive than the Walker Lake stuff. US 395 has had multiple extended closures in Mono County this winter due to slides and there is no good alternate that is remotely local.

In other news, NV SR 431 has been blocked near Mount Rose Summit by a large avalanche. No ETO at this time.

US 89

This warm and wet storm is causing issues much further inland, too. US 189 is going to be closed for at least a day between Provo and Heber City, Utah after a huge avalanche in Provo Canyon buried the road under 10-15 feet of high density snow.

https://twitter.com/uthighwaypatrol/status/1634368828024188928

Oh, and just now seeing that US 40 is closed over Daniels Pass due to an avalanche on the highway. Avalanches have happened many times before on 189, but I have never heard of avalanche issues on that part of 40.

pderocco

I entirely agree. I think US-95 will evolve the way US-395 has, fourlaning it little by little as traffic demands, building the occasional bypass, etc. Maybe 40 years from now, a freeway will be warranted. Or maybe we'll have flying cars before then...

cl94

Quote from: pderocco on March 13, 2023, 02:54:24 AM

I entirely agree. I think US-95 will evolve the way US-395 has, fourlaning it little by little as traffic demands, building the occasional bypass, etc. Maybe 40 years from now, a freeway will be warranted. Or maybe we'll have flying cars before then...

Even the official I-11 reports acknowledge that's the most likely outcome. NDOT isn't hiding that I-11 won't be built anytime soon unless the feds front 100% of the cost. No use in building it without demand and they are actively doing spot improvements where necessary.

Short- to medium-term, I could maybe see a more official Yerington bypass to replace the unofficial one along farm roads (key being that unofficial bypasses here and near Silver Springs already exist), but beyond that? Hawthorne already has a bypass and Tonopah's entire economy is based on US 95 through traffic. You can't bypass Tonopah without a ton of land taking or going well to the west, neither of which would fly unless traffic counts dramatically increase.

rschen7754

Quillz

I just came back from a trip to the Eastern Sierra. My plans to visit Mono Lake and Panum Crater did not pan out. US-395 was closed at Lee Vining and the parking lot to Mono Lake was buried under snow. I was able to walk a little bit towards the lake and at least got some photos. Looks like it froze over. I've only been to Mono Lake in the summer so I'm not sure how commonly that happens.

On the other hand, Panum Crater was a disaster. CA-120 was absolutely buried under tons of snow, to the point the highway was closed about a mile from US-395. Theoretically with snowshoes I might have been able to walk the 4+ miles to the crater, but simply was not worth it. The best I could do was take a short walk on the highway and get some photographs of the crater.

US-395 was insane north of Bishop. Drove it yesterday and the moment I hit the 6,000' level, heavy snow started falling. On the way back, the entire road was covered in snow. I did an Alaska trip back in January and the snowfall was rivaling that.

And yet somehow I didn't think to go there to snowboard.

cl94

Quote from: Quillz on March 20, 2023, 04:28:01 PM
I just came back from a trip to the Eastern Sierra. My plans to visit Mono Lake and Panum Crater did not pan out. US-395 was closed at Lee Vining and the parking lot to Mono Lake was buried under snow. I was able to walk a little bit towards the lake and at least got some photos. Looks like it froze over. I've only been to Mono Lake in the summer so I'm not sure how commonly that happens.

On the other hand, Panum Crater was a disaster. CA-120 was absolutely buried under tons of snow, to the point the highway was closed about a mile from US-395. Theoretically with snowshoes I might have been able to walk the 4+ miles to the crater, but simply was not worth it. The best I could do was take a short walk on the highway and get some photographs of the crater.

US-395 was insane north of Bishop. Drove it yesterday and the moment I hit the 6,000' level, heavy snow started falling. On the way back, the entire road was covered in snow. I did an Alaska trip back in January and the snowfall was rivaling that.

And yet somehow I didn't think to go there to snowboard.

SR 120 between US 395 and Benton Crossing Road is in winter closure. Nobody lives along it and the only business is that quarry a mile east of 395, so they just plow to the quarry and don't bother with the rest. It tops out over 8,000 feet, so even on the dry side of the mountain it gets a decent amount of snow. Usually reopens April-May, though who knows with how this year has been.

395 north of Lee Vining has been closed for over 3 weeks due to a series of avalanches and rockslides. Going to be at least another week or two until they can get that thing open in any capacity, and that's assuming the storm hitting tomorrow doesn't cause more damage.

https://twitter.com/Caltrans9/status/1631446815546679296
https://twitter.com/Caltrans9/status/1635713109255163905

gonealookin

The always-treacherous stretch of CA 89 around Emerald Bay has been closed far more than not this winter, and I believe it has been closed continuously since around February 20.  Caltrans continues to struggle with it.

https://twitter.com/CaltransDist3/status/1638680013594853377

jdbx

The effects of this winter are going to be with is for a long time. The snowpack in the Southern Sierra is so deep that they are already beginning large releases from the reservoirs in the San Joaquin River watershed. This is relevant because there is likely to be extensive flooding through at least June, and that is probably going to result in numerous road closures and washouts throughout the Central Valley. The snow in the mountains is so deep that many of the typically "closed for winter" roads are unlikely to be open before June, possibly July as well.

Max Rockatansky

A couple of us are anxiously awaiting the return of Tulare Lake.  It certainly will spur me to revisit places like Kettleman City, Alpaugh and Corcoran. 

jdbx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2023, 02:57:17 PM
A couple of us are anxiously awaiting the return of Tulare Lake.  It certainly will spur me to revisit places like Kettleman City, Alpaugh and Corcoran. 

I have been reading about the water wars already happening, between people trying to manage flood control and farmers trying to keep their fields from being flooded. https://sjvwater.org/boswell-poso-creek-stand-off-continues-as-flood-waters-build/  Mother Nature always gets the upper-hand eventually.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.