News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions (sports edition)

Started by kenarmy, March 31, 2021, 01:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I disagree. The Browns team that moved to Baltimore is the same team regardless what happened to any of the records. If Art Modell wanted to move to Baltimore he should have sold the Browns and Baltimore should have been the city to get an expansion franchise not Cleveland. I mean seriously over a new stadium? It's not like moving into Memorial Stadium in Baltimore for a few years would have been much different than staying at Municipal Stadium for a few years, but then again the new stadium in Cleveland was built on the same property as the old stadium but still look at the White Sox, Mets, Yankees and other teams that have built new stadiums right next to the old one. If Cleveland still hates Art Modell I don't blame them.

texaskdog

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 08, 2021, 11:53:45 AM
I disagree. The Browns team that moved to Baltimore is the same team regardless what happened to any of the records. If Art Modell wanted to move to Baltimore he should have sold the Browns and Baltimore should have been the city to get an expansion franchise not Cleveland. I mean seriously over a new stadium? It's not like moving into Memorial Stadium in Baltimore for a few years would have been much different than staying at Municipal Stadium for a few years, but then again the new stadium in Cleveland was built on the same property as the old stadium but still look at the White Sox, Mets, Yankees and other teams that have built new stadiums right next to the old one. If Cleveland still hates Art Modell I don't blame them.

Exactly.  The Texans weren't allowed to have the Oilers name even though it wasn't being used.  Had they been allowed to, it's still not the same team.  The Browns history is in Baltimore with the winning team, the new team is a different team.  Cleveland fans can pretend all they want.

texaskdog

Quote from: 1 on April 08, 2021, 09:26:16 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2021, 09:24:44 AM
Now, being an out-of-region fan of a bad team, though...  That makes no sense.

When the Cubs got to the playoffs in 2015 and 2016, almost everyone wanted them to win.

Not me, still pissed about what they did to Steve Bartman.  That was ridiculous.

texaskdog

Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 11:04:11 AM
Quote from: thspfc on April 07, 2021, 07:43:11 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on April 05, 2021, 03:48:13 PM
I don't cheer for the Browns success.
Also agree. One wild card season and a victory over a slumping team in a game you almost legendarily choked away doesn’t elevate them off the bottom of the league. Sure, they have reasons to be optimistic, but the level of disillusionment from their fanbase is off the charts.

They're certainly elevated from the very bottom of the league. This the best season/offseason they've had in several decades. I'd say let the fans enjoy it.

Quote from: kenarmy on April 07, 2021, 10:52:48 AM
- Washington Football Team isn't the bad of a name.

That's not an unpopular take. If it was, they would have found a new name by now.

Washington FC   

hotdogPi

Quote from: texaskdog on April 08, 2021, 12:00:04 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 11:04:11 AM
Quote from: kenarmy on April 07, 2021, 10:52:48 AM
- Washington Football Team isn't the bad of a name.

That's not an unpopular take. If it was, they would have found a new name by now.

Washington FC

Virginia Woolves
Maryland Crabs
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

thspfc

Not sure if this is unpopular, but baseball has some terrible rules. The dropped third strike rule needs to be axed. The overcomplicated foul tip rule also needs to be simplified. If a player catches a ball after it touches the bat but before it touches the ground, the batter is out. Doesn't matter if the ball went forwards, backwards, or sideways, doesn't matter if he smashed it or barely hit it at all. It should be that simple. But no, baseball is so obsessed with tradition and trying to return to its glory days that it is going to be completely irrelevant in the American sports scene by 2050.

triplemultiplex

Unpopular sports opinion:
If sports teams want taxpayer money for stadiums, then in exchange, the city the team plays in gets 51% ownership of the team.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 08, 2021, 05:36:21 PM
If sports teams want taxpayer money for stadiums, then in exchange, the city the team plays in gets 51% ownership of the team.

Does that opinion extend to other, non-sports venues such as performing arts centers?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2021, 06:34:56 PM

Does that opinion extend to other, non-sports venues such as performing arts centers?

If it did, maybe Oklahoma City would have a functioning Stage Center rather than a vacant lot.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2021, 06:34:56 PM

[purple]
Take it to the Unpopular Opinions (performing arts) Thread
[/nurple]

hbelkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 07, 2021, 06:03:35 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 07, 2021, 05:43:16 PM
Quote from: thspfc on April 07, 2021, 05:37:30 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2021, 01:15:50 PM
I don't use that term to insult the team. I use it to insult their bandwagon fans who live in another team's geographical market but still root for them. Yes, there are other teams in all sports for which that happens, but Dallas fans are the most obnoxious, followed closely by Duke/North Carolina/Tennessee fans who live in Kentucky and have ties to none of those schools.
For what it's worth, the same could be said of Kentucky basketball fans who live outside of Kentucky . . .

Parts of Ohio and Indiana (the states, not the universities) are much closer to the University of Kentucky than areas like Paducah or even Owensboro.

I lived in Jeffersonville/New Albany, IN for 10 years and in that area, fans were split about 40/40/20 for Indiana/Kentucky/Louisville

I don't disagree about the out-of-territory people, and I know there have been a lot of bandwagon fans that have come along because Calipari's thick with Drake and LeBron and a bunch of other pop culture notables in the past few years.

Part of Kentucky's fandom can also probably be attributed to television markets. (SP Cook will know something about this.) The Louisville TV market encompasses a bunch of Indiana counties, so they're going to be exposed to outsized UK coverage. (And remember that years ago, before ESPN and the SEC Netowrk, schools had their own TV networks for showing non-conference games, and conferences had their own networks too, and it was common for UK games to be tape-delayed and shown at 11:30 p.m. if they weren't picked up for live conference network or national network TV.) The Cincinnati market covers a big swath of northern Kentucky so they had to provide UK coverage. And the Huntington/Charleston TV stations get a huge chunk of eastern Kentucky, from the upper Licking River valley and Pike County all the way to the Ohio River. Hoosiers, Buckeyes, and West Virginians were all exposed to UK basketball because stations in Louisville, Cincinnati, and Huntington/Charleston were UK network affiliates.

And consider this ... a former co-worker of mine graduated from UK, and like many others in the state, is a UK fan. Her son is a freshman at Baylor this year. So naturally she's going to root for Baylor.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: texaskdog on April 08, 2021, 11:59:10 AM
Quote from: 1 on April 08, 2021, 09:26:16 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2021, 09:24:44 AM
Now, being an out-of-region fan of a bad team, though...  That makes no sense.

When the Cubs got to the playoffs in 2015 and 2016, almost everyone wanted them to win.

Not me, still pissed about what they did to Steve Bartman.  That was ridiculous.
Really not much different than what Red Sox fans did to Bill Buckner.

SP Cook

Agree with everything HB said.  When I was a kid, the only live college sports we got regularly was UK and SEC syndication out of WSAZ in Huntington.  WVU (which is much further away than UK is) didn't produce games until the early 80s and then they were on PBS, it was later in the decade before they were on commercial TV.   If Ohio State/Big 10 had any TV deals, they were not on in Huntington.  People that got the Bluefield station got ACC syndication.

Side story.  Two WV related people were big in the early days of syndication of college sports.  One was a guy known as Dan Shoemaker, who was a local school teacher in Huntington.  He figured out that satellite uplinks made production and syndication of games much easier.  He started with Marshall and moved to a lot of schools around the upper south.  He called his company "Creative Sports" because he was creative in how to finance the deals, getting odd ball local sponsors and such.  He sold it to ESPN where it formed the basis of ESPN's college inventory.  He worked for Disney until he died a couple years ago.   The other guy was Bray Cary, who figured out about the same thing and worked with first WVU and then Virginia Tech and then some others.  He sold his company to Disney as well and went to work for NASCAR, where he rode the wave and got rich.  Returned to WV about 10 years ago and bought a bunch of TV stations, which he ran into the ground and had to sell.  Now is "senior advisor" to the governor and heir apparent.

thspfc

Quote from: SP Cook on April 02, 2021, 12:46:39 PM
SOCCER:
- Soccer is the sport of the next generation, four generations and counting.
Us missing out on the World Cup in 2018 killed that narrative. Strong performances in Qatar next year and on our turf in 2026 might change things though.

1995hoo

Makes me remember the NASL slogan: "Soccer–The Sport of the '80s."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gr8daynegb

Curious if this would be a popular opinion or not for NFL.  If your team wins the Superbowl you get to host the game for the following season(or two years after if feeling there needs to be a gap in-between to help city/state prepare).
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 13, 2021, 06:41:50 PM
Curious if this would be a popular opinion or not for NFL.  If your team wins the Superbowl you get to host the game for the following season(or two years after if feeling there needs to be a gap in-between to help city/state prepare).

The problem is the NFL has rules about who can host a Super Bowl based on climate (basically if you don't have a dome or don't play in CA or FL, you're out). They made an exception for NYC, but that's because they're NYC.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

^^ Also they have rules on minimum number of lodging rooms in the metro area.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2021, 06:45:18 PM

The problem is the NFL has rules about who can host a Super Bowl based on climate (basically if you don't have a dome or don't play in CA or FL, you're out). They made an exception for NYC, but that's because they're NYC.

Let's for the sake of this argument pretend that minimum hotel requirement isn't there. It's apples and oranges but let's treat in more in line with how MLB, NHL, and NBA treat championships without having the hotel requirement(yes I am aware of the winner take all vs best of format difference).
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Big John on April 13, 2021, 06:53:08 PM
^^ Also they have rules on minimum number of lodging rooms in the metro area.

Other than Green Bay, there isn't any NFL city that couldn't handle hosting a Super Bowl if it weren't for the weather, but aside for that one-time NYC exception, nobody really wants an outdoor Super Bowl in the cold.

I do think there should be a more equitable rotation of host cities though. Indy got one, and everybody seemed to like it there, but there have been several in Miami, New Orleans and Phoenix since then without going back to Indy.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

oscar

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 13, 2021, 07:19:52 PM

Let's for the sake of this argument pretend that minimum hotel requirement isn't there. It's apples and oranges but let's treat in more in line with how MLB, NHL, and NBA treat championships without having the hotel requirement(yes I am aware of the winner take all vs best of format difference).

That leaves you with the climate issue, which the other leagues sidestep by playing indoors and/or not in the winter. The Packers, Bills, Browns, Steelers, Broncos, Bears, and Patriots could have weather issues with hosting Super Bowls in the winter.

Similar issues with when they host conference championships, but those are one-day affairs vs. the week-long extravaganza the NFL wants for Super Bowls.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: oscar on April 13, 2021, 07:46:44 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 13, 2021, 07:19:52 PM

That leaves you with the climate issue, which the other leagues sidestep by playing indoors and/or not in the winter. The Packers, Bills, Browns, Steelers, Broncos, Bears, and Patriots could have weather issues with hosting Super Bowls in the winter.

Similar issues with when they host conference championships, but those are one-day affairs vs. the week-long extravaganza the NFL wants for Super Bowls.

Add Seahawks, Bengals, Football Team, Ravens, Eagles, Chiefs and maybe Titans to those where climate is going to be a problem.

The biggest difference between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl is that conference championship games are mainly attended by fans of the home team, and those fans will go regardless of weather. The Super Bowl is highly attended by corporate sponsors, and those people that drop hundreds of thousands on tickets, stadium suites, hotel suites, catered meals, etc, don't wan't to attend games in the cold.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

A Super Bowl in Buffalo would be wild. Buffalo and Green Bay are probably the top two worst winter climates for a Super Bowl host city.

hbelkins

I'm old enough to remember the Freezer Bowl that was the AFC Championship between the Bengals and the Chargers in January 1982. That was move-in day for the second semester of my junior year in college. I left home early enough to get my TV and most of my stuff packed up to my room and watched that game on TV in the dorm.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2021, 08:03:49 PM
A Super Bowl in Buffalo would be wild. Buffalo and Green Bay are probably the top two worst winter climates for a Super Bowl host city.
Chicago wouldn't be too pleasant either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.