News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Also regions have been told not to use by MUTCD for more specific places. Yes, The Islands is like New Jersey and Delaware using Shore Points for all beach destinations or NYC using Eastern LI instead of Riverhead.

I'm not against using regions nor bridges as I grew up with them as control places. Just that guide signs are for tourists not familiar with the area.

Oh yes, MA 28 should be mentioned on guides at eastern end of MA 25. Having Bourne Bridge signed without route number or US 6 signed solo without MA 28 West is bad. I agree with Shadyjay on that one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2024, 10:50:03 PMAlso regions have been told not to use by MUTCD for more specific places. Yes, The Islands is like New Jersey and Delaware using Shore Points for all beach destinations or NYC using Eastern LI instead of Riverhead.

I'm not against using regions nor bridges as I grew up with them as control places. Just that guide signs are for tourists not familiar with the area.

Oh yes, MA 28 should be mentioned on guides at eastern end of MA 25. Having Bourne Bridge signed without route number or US 6 signed solo without MA 28 West is bad. I agree with Shadyjay on that one.

A big chunk of those tourists will be headed to The Islands, anyway, and will know what the sign means.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Just drop it. You have your beliefs and I have mine. Massachusetts has the final say anyway and they own the signs and they'll keep whatever they want on it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 30, 2024, 12:34:38 AMJust drop it. You have your beliefs and I have mine. Massachusetts has the final say anyway and they own the signs and they'll keep whatever they want on it.

Telling me to drop it when you don't have to respond to my comments yourself is a one-sided take.  This is a forum.  We have rules for moderation and for inappropriate responses, but telling someone they shouldn't respond to a post in a forum like this doesn't seem right, either. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2024, 10:50:03 PMAlso regions have been told not to use by MUTCD for more specific places. Yes, The Islands is like New Jersey and Delaware using Shore Points for all beach destinations or NYC using Eastern LI instead of Riverhead.

I have been going to the cape for 27 years. I guarantee you no tourist is going to be intently looking for where MA 28 pops up. The Bourne Bridge is an obvious landmark and and easy choice to direct folks headed on-Cape.

shadyjay

A few years ago when the signs on the MassPike were replaced, they took "CAPE COD" off the primary for (former Exit 11-A) and replaced it with Taunton.  This was the only case where this happened, as signs on I-95 that were replaced after those on I-90 retained "Cape Cod".  So I'm not 100% buying they're trying to make it easier for tourists.  The MUTCD wants actual cities/towns as control cities, but it should be on a case-by-case basis. 

Elsewhere in the region, "Eastern Long Island" makes more sense than Riverhead.  I see nothing wrong with Shore Points on the Garden State Parkway south of the New Jersey Turnpike.  And "To All Maine Points" or just simply "Maine" makes perfect sense on I-95 in Portsmouth, as its the only interstate to Maine. 

seicer

This is why most (?) states have supplemental MUTCD's.

pderocco

I have a vague memory of seeing POINTS NORTH on some BGS in Massachusetts when I was young, probably in Boston.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: pderocco on April 30, 2024, 11:07:35 PMI have a vague memory of seeing POINTS NORTH on some BGS in Massachusetts when I was young, probably in Boston.

I do as well. There also used to be POINTS WEST signs on entrances to the Mass. Pike.

shadyjay

Having control cities on a beltway is kind of tricky.  The signs from the Mass Pike to I-95/128 in Newton did used to say "POINTS NORTH" and "SOUTH SHORE".  Honestly, it made sense.  I-95/128 controls have been Braintree, Dedham, Waltham, Peabody, Gloucester.  Braintree was mostly phased out in favor of Boston, which may make sense from an interstate standpoint, but that's not necessarily where everyone's going.  "Mass Pike Points West" signs didn't even have I-90 shields way back when, so that was more of your directional.

Then there's the signs modified for a sense of consistency between directions.  Like the ones heading east on the pike for I-84 that say "Hartford/NY City".  Noone in their right mind would be going east and looking for NY City.  But because the westbound signs say that, they were changed.  Same goes for heading west on the pike and getting off at I-495, where "Portsmouth NH" is used.  Would'nt Lowell make more sense?

Heck, we could discuss control city follies until the cows come home, but, heck, that would just be "udder"ly ridiculous. 
 :)  :)  :)

SectorZ

Quote from: shadyjay on May 01, 2024, 04:02:55 PMHaving control cities on a beltway is kind of tricky.  The signs from the Mass Pike to I-95/128 in Newton did used to say "POINTS NORTH" and "SOUTH SHORE".  Honestly, it made sense.  I-95/128 controls have been Braintree, Dedham, Waltham, Peabody, Gloucester.  Braintree was mostly phased out in favor of Boston, which may make sense from an interstate standpoint, but that's not necessarily where everyone's going.  "Mass Pike Points West" signs didn't even have I-90 shields way back when, so that was more of your directional.

Then there's the signs modified for a sense of consistency between directions.  Like the ones heading east on the pike for I-84 that say "Hartford/NY City".  Noone in their right mind would be going east and looking for NY City.  But because the westbound signs say that, they were changed.  Same goes for heading west on the pike and getting off at I-495, where "Portsmouth NH" is used.  Would'nt Lowell make more sense?

Heck, we could discuss control city follies until the cows come home, but, heck, that would just be "udder"ly ridiculous. 

The same control city in each direction that MassDOT has now enabled has even more ridiculous control cities that the NYC example on the Pike. Going northbound on 495 in Amesbury, the MA 150 exit suggests Seabrook NH as a control city. As illogical as that is, the southbound side also having it when you likely just left Seabrook is a tad misdirected.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on May 01, 2024, 05:59:43 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on May 01, 2024, 04:02:55 PMHaving control cities on a beltway is kind of tricky.  The signs from the Mass Pike to I-95/128 in Newton did used to say "POINTS NORTH" and "SOUTH SHORE".  Honestly, it made sense.  I-95/128 controls have been Braintree, Dedham, Waltham, Peabody, Gloucester.  Braintree was mostly phased out in favor of Boston, which may make sense from an interstate standpoint, but that's not necessarily where everyone's going.  "Mass Pike Points West" signs didn't even have I-90 shields way back when, so that was more of your directional.

The same control city in each direction that MassDOT has now enabled has even more ridiculous control cities that the NYC example on the Pike. Going northbound on 495 in Amesbury, the MA 150 exit suggests Seabrook NH as a control city. As illogical as that is, the southbound side also having it when you likely just left Seabrook is a tad misdirected.

Although I shrug at NYC being a control city for I-84 coming from I-90 EB, the MA 150 example may be the very first control city criticism on this entire forum that I agree with.

RobbieL2415

If I get on the Pike from MA 32 in Palmer, that's right in between I-91 and I-84. If I decide to use I-84 to head back west on I-84 to reach my destination, what should the control cities be? My answer would be Hartford at the very least.

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 02, 2024, 07:38:15 AM

If I get on the Pike from MA 32 in Palmer, that's right in between I-91 and I-84. If I decide to use I-84 to head back west on I-84 to reach my destination, what should the control cities be? My answer would be Hartford at the very least.

And locals would think you're silly for taking the long way 'round.

kramie13

Looking at Google Street View, I've noticed multiple sign changes along I-195 East in Fall River in a short amount of (recent) time.

In July 2021, the sign for 24 North from 195 East is an "old-style" sign with a "1/2" exit tab and no white horizontal line below "exit 14B".

In October 2022, a new sign was installed replacing the old one, and includes a yellow "LEFT" tab.

In October 2023, the "LEFT" tab has been removed, and exposes the fact that the sign was fabricated with its old sequential number (8B), despite being installed AFTER the exit numbers were switched over to mileage-based ones!  Who dropped the ball here?  This has the exit sign presentation looking really ugly.

bob7374

Quote from: kramie13 on May 03, 2024, 01:38:36 PMLooking at Google Street View, I've noticed multiple sign changes along I-195 East in Fall River in a short amount of (recent) time.

In July 2021, the sign for 24 North from 195 East is an "old-style" sign with a "1/2" exit tab and no white horizontal line below "exit 14B".

In October 2022, a new sign was installed replacing the old one, and includes a yellow "LEFT" tab.

In October 2023, the "LEFT" tab has been removed, and exposes the fact that the sign was fabricated with its old sequential number (8B), despite being installed AFTER the exit numbers were switched over to mileage-based ones!  Who dropped the ball here?  This has the exit sign presentation looking really ugly.
Guess they had the same potential problem with the exit tab bracket that caused MassDOT to remove them from signs on I-93, I-95 and elsewhere. New ones have only gone up in a few places, but I haven't seen them south of Boston yet. The overhead signs were designed prior to the exit renumbering in 2017 but were not put up until 2022 since they discovered problems with the soil around the MA 24/I-195 interchange during the initial sign contract that was to install them in 2019-2020.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.