News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What Corridors in tthe Rest of the Region Really need upgrades

Started by 3467, February 19, 2015, 02:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

To avoid fiction please limit to routes that the state DOT has under some sort of study and then let us know if you think it is worthwhile.
I will start Wisconsin as an example
http://www.dot.state.wi.us/business/econdev/corridors.htm
I think Wisconsin has done a great job of planning its corridors and I have nothing to add.
Maybe you do or have something to say about Wisconsin or plans in MI MN OH IN PA NY?

I-39

Wisconsin kicks Illinois's butt when it comes to corridor planning, it build their major routes the right way.

However, I do think Wisconsin is starting to get a little over ambitious with upgrading their routes to freeways/expressways. Other than upgrading U.S 151 to freeway between Fond Du Lac and Dubuque and finishing the U.S 12 corridor between Madison and the Dells, I think they should leave their system as it is. Focus on rebuilding and widening corridors such as I-39/90 between the state line and Madison, I-39/90/94 between Madison and the Dells, I-94 in the Milwaukee area, etc.

Some of the corridors WisDOT upgraded are not really necessary (such as U.S 10, WIS 29, etc)

Brandon

Quote from: adamlanfort on February 19, 2015, 03:07:09 PM
Wisconsin kicks Illinois's butt when it comes to corridor planning, it build their major routes the right way.

That's because Wisconsin has money and does not have the inmates running the asylum.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

I wrote it to avoid fictional highways . It comments ONLY on roads under study by a DOT .
Rauner wont  be around as long as your buddy Rick Scott

I-39

I'm not going to get political here, but I will say this one thing. Give Rauner some time, Illinois is in terrible shape because of reckless spending by BOTH sides, and frankly, it's alarming how bad the state is. I don't necessarily agree with everything he stands for, but drastic times call for drastic measures.

The real problem in Illinois is Speaker Mike Madigan, he is a corrupt scumbag running the state into the ground.

True on Madigan ........and hes been here for 40 years ...and Illinois lived of skipping its pension payments .....Its actually not that bad we have to extend the income tax and Teir 2 will eventually pay off part of the pension debt . We are far from Greece our total debt is less than a fifth of GSP Greece is 4 times its GDP  A small gax tax could fund the road program  certainly one the size Adam and I are talking about right now both Rauner and Madigan are talking unconstitutional fantasies Madigan on his millionaire tax which needs another vote in 2016 and Rauner on pensions. His cut of one third to the state universities wont go over in the suburbs

Looking at the state list here it is possible none of these other states have any corridors under study. I am pretty sure there are not any more ex the Illiana in northern Indiana . I know they pulled their 2030 plan. I know Ohio doesn't plan any more interstates.

I-39

Ok, so if I had to make a final road plan, here are the corridors that are ABSOLUTELY necessary for 4-laning (downstate only)

Freeways:
U.S 20: Galena bypass only
U.S 51 between Bloomington and Decatur (upgrade it into a southern leg of I-39 to both correct current expressway deficiencies and to give Decatur better access to points north, this would be a better use than a full U.S 20 freeway between Freeport and Galena)

Expressways:
U.S 51 from Assumption to Pana (Pana bypass will be freeway, I think)
U.S 67 between Monmouth and IL-255 (may have some freeway segments such as Jerseyville to IL-255 and Macomb bypass)

Passing lanes:
IL-13 and 29 corridors
U.S 20 between Galena and Freeport
U.S 24 between I-55 to Peoria and from Peoria to Rushville
U.S 30 between Monmouth and Iowa border (I'm torn over expressway or passing lanes for this one)
U.S 50 in southern Illinois
U.S 51 between Pana bypass and Centralia

Everything else is fine. Scrap the remaining four lane expressway projects

I-39

Quote from: 3467 on February 19, 2015, 11:21:16 PM
Both sides have been very bad in Illinois Former Dem State Rep Derrik Smith just got his sentence today The Illinois dem party is not progressive Obama is about as left as it gets and he isn't very liberal and he was a backbencher in the State Senate...

I am basically with you on that list

I looked at that MN I-37 thread I guess MN is looking at that I know they are looking at US 14 too Any other projects in the region

So you agree with the I-39 to Decatur? I'm surprised. I do think that would be a better use than U.S 20, and I'm not really sure why IDOT is not studying that.

And speaking of politics, it was because of it that I-39 didn't go to Decatur in the first place, Big Jim Thompson made a backroom deal to not let it happen.

I just don't think it will happen just like I don't think the Monmouth Bypass will be upgraded

On Illinois its a nonidealogical state but a corrupt one Rauner is in trouble because he is very ideological. The irony is he made his fortune off the state pension fund. The money of the state workers he despises. He rants about the unions but would Illinois be  better if all the state workers were Madigans patronage workers

I-39

Quote from: 3467 on February 19, 2015, 11:30:11 PM
I just don't think it will happen just like I don't think the Monmouth Bypass will be upgraded

On Illinois its a nonidealogical state but a corrupt one Rauner is in trouble because he is very ideological. The irony is he made his fortune off the state pension fund. The money of the state workers he despises. He rants about the unions but would Illinois be  better if all the state workers were Madigans patronage workers

The problem is, the can has been kicked down the road for so long, now that Illinois has a governor that wants to do something, everyone is up in arms. I do like what he is doing with reviewing IDOT projects for cost-benefit, maybe that will lead to scaling back or eliminating unnecessary projects such as U.S 20 or IL-336.

The problem with Illinois is, IMO, the public employee unions. They have gotten too friendly with politicians (on both sides) and they are costing the state a lot of money with pensions and other benefits. I have no problems with unions in the private sector, we don't need to pass right to work laws, but I have a huge problem with public employee unions raiding taxpayers like they are an endless ATM machine. Even FDR didn't believe in public employee collective bargaining, it really is a conflict of interest when you think about it.

I believe in paying state employees a reasonable living wage and benefits, but not letting them hold the taxpayers hostage with their unions.

Anyway, back to roads.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

I-39

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 19, 2015, 11:48:14 PM
Please cut the political attacks and stay on topic

I apologize, it's just seems unavoidable when talking about highway funding and what needs to be done.

I-39

Getting back to roads, in your opinion 3467, IN the Chicagoland area, what needs to be done (upgrade wise)?

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2015, 03:58:55 PM
That's because Wisconsin has money and does not have the inmates running the asylum.
Quote from: SSOWorld on February 19, 2015, 11:48:14 PM
Please cut the political attacks and stay on topic
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SEWIGuy

Wisconsin:

US-12 between Elkhorn and Madison is going to need to be upgraded.  The stretch between Cambridge and Madison is already jam packed during rush hour with very few places to pass.  I would start by four laning this stretch and continuing plans for the rest.

US-51 between US-8 and Minoqua.  That stretch should be four lanes as well.  North of Minoqua it is fine at this point. 

WI-26 from north of the Watertown bypass to US-151 needs to be figured out too.

Really outside of that Wisconsin's system is just fine and should focus on expansion of existing corridors.  1. I-39/90 from Madison to the Illinois line is one.  (Getting done.)  2. I-94 between Waukesha and Madison.  3. I-94 just east of the Minnesota line.

I-39

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 20, 2015, 09:53:12 AM
Wisconsin:

US-12 between Elkhorn and Madison is going to need to be upgraded.  The stretch between Cambridge and Madison is already jam packed during rush hour with very few places to pass.  I would start by four laning this stretch and continuing plans for the rest.

US-51 between US-8 and Minoqua.  That stretch should be four lanes as well.  North of Minoqua it is fine at this point. 

Really outside of that Wisconsin's system is just fine and should focus on expansion of existing corridors.  1. I-39/90 from Madison to the Illinois line is one.  (Getting done.)  2. I-94 between Waukesha and Madison.  3. I-94 just east of the Minnesota line.

U.S 12 is only worth upgrading if Illinois continues it south to the IL-53 extension, but since we know that will never happen, you can forget about that. Plus, the Whitewater to Fort Atkinson segment was killed by local residents, and has been delayed indefinitely.

On U.S 51, they are going to reconstruct and add passing lanes to that segment, there really isn't enough room for four lanes without significant environmental impacts. But first, they need to covert the expressway segment between Merrill and Tomahawk to freeway.

I think U.S 12 between Madison and Wisconsin Dells is more important than WIS 26, but that is just my opinion.

But first, they need to finish the I-39/90 and I-94 expansion projects before doing anything else.

Based on what they are actually studying for Chicago of course. Well pretty much the arterials that are on the IDOT list . These are not exactly big projects -mostly adding a lane -Some are 4 lane expressway design in the outer area . The SRA plans -IDOT used to have a link for those plans but they seem gone -those were in many cases 6 lane arterials and lots of overpasses and other improvements. considering the nature of the Chicago area with the density few of those were practical Also they overestimated growth just like the supplemental freeway plan did. IL 23 was an SRA ...So I guess I will go with the routes IDOT is working on with some passing lanes in the outer areas like US 34 and IL 64
Mc Henry and Lake and Kane have their own local plans which are mostly the same as the IDOT routes. plus their local plans. I will look for those tonight
For the Mega Projects we are down to the 53 extension and the Elgin Ohare and the Illiana . The Tollway will get the first 2 done I hope ROW or corridor protection is kept for the Illinana Prarie Parkway corridor just in case

I-39

One thing I will add about Chicagoland is Randall Road needs to be widened to six lanes from Algonquin down to Batavia, and the interchange with I-90 needs to be reconstructed/reconfigured into something like an SPUI.

Randall is in the Kane plan. I will look for that tonight if you don't find it first

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: adamlanfort on February 20, 2015, 10:17:25 AM
Wisconsin:

U.S 12 is only worth upgrading if Illinois continues it south to the IL-53 extension, but since we know that will never happen, you can forget about that. Plus, the Whitewater to Fort Atkinson segment was killed by local residents, and has been delayed indefinitely.

On U.S 51, they are going to reconstruct and add passing lanes to that segment, there really isn't enough room for four lanes without significant environmental impacts. But first, they need to covert the expressway segment between Merrill and Tomahawk to freeway.

I think U.S 12 between Madison and Wisconsin Dells is more important than WIS 26, but that is just my opinion.

But first, they need to finish the I-39/90 and I-94 expansion projects before doing anything else.

I agree with the above statements. 

I've been surprised how well US 51 functions between Heafford Jct and Hazelhurst, but some more passing lanes would be nice. 

I keep hoping that the Lake County Parkway/IL 53 extension will make it beyond the planning stage, however, even with a Richmond bypass, it will not provide a continuous 4-lane corridor north of the IL 120 corridor for US 12.  In spite of that, I still think US 12 from Elkhorn to County Trunk N near Cottage Grove merits upgrading regardless.

No one mentions WI 21 between Oshkosh and Tomah?  I'm surprised at the traffic it carries on the weekends, for going through some of the most unpopulated portions of the state.  Some passing lanes would be nice as would a Wautoma/Silver Lake bypass to the south.

Lastly, into the future, six-laning I-90/94 to Tomah would be helpful, as would six-laning I-94 from Hudson to US 12/WI 312 at Eau Claire.  Traffic counts may not warrant expansion now, but it most likely will be warranted at some point. 

I-39

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on February 20, 2015, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: adamlanfort on February 20, 2015, 10:17:25 AM
Wisconsin:

I agree with the above statements. 

I've been surprised how well US 51 functions between Heafford Jct and Hazelhurst, but some more passing lanes would be nice. 

I keep hoping that the Lake County Parkway/IL 53 extension will make it beyond the planning stage, however, even with a Richmond bypass, it will not provide a continuous 4-lane corridor north of the IL 120 corridor for US 12.  In spite of that, I still think US 12 from Elkhorn to County Trunk N near Cottage Grove merits upgrading regardless.

No one mentions WI 21 between Oshkosh and Tomah?  I'm surprised at the traffic it carries on the weekends, for going through some of the most unpopulated portions of the state.  Some passing lanes would be nice as would a Wautoma/Silver Lake bypass to the south.

Lastly, into the future, six-laning I-90/94 to Tomah would be helpful, as would six-laning I-94 from Hudson to US 12/WI 312 at Eau Claire.  Traffic counts may not warrant expansion now, but it most likely will be warranted at some point. 

As I said, I do think Wisconsin is getting a little over ambitious with building freeways/expressways and they ought to scale back a little and focus on priority routes, like the backbone routes in the Corridors 2030.

GeekJedi

Wisconsin:

Honestly 12 is crowded from Madison to Cambridge with commuters, but often that stretch from Ft. Atkinson to WI 67 is pretty barren during the week (I often go from Mukwonago to my Middleton office via CTH J -> WI 20 -> US 12 -> CTH N -> WI 59 -> I 90, or I'll stay on 12 all the way to the Beltline). I see the potential of a 39/90 upgrade (and a 70MPH limit) fixing some of the issues on 12 - I think that should be the priority.  I just don't see it as the "pressure cooker" that others see it as.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Rick Powell

Quote from: 3467 on February 20, 2015, 12:20:50 PMThe SRA plans -IDOT used to have a link for those plans but they seem gone -those were in many cases 6 lane arterials and lots of overpasses and other improvements. considering the nature of the Chicago area with the density few of those were practical Also they overestimated growth just like the supplemental freeway plan did. IL 23 was an SRA ...So I guess I will go with the routes IDOT is working on with some passing lanes in the outer areas like US 34 and IL 64

Hard to find but they are still there.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/transportation-system/Network-Overview/highway-system/sra-reports-and-resources

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 20, 2015, 07:45:14 PM
Quote from: 3467 on February 20, 2015, 12:20:50 PMThe SRA plans -IDOT used to have a link for those plans but they seem gone -those were in many cases 6 lane arterials and lots of overpasses and other improvements. considering the nature of the Chicago area with the density few of those were practical Also they overestimated growth just like the supplemental freeway plan did. IL 23 was an SRA ...So I guess I will go with the routes IDOT is working on with some passing lanes in the outer areas like US 34 and IL 64

Hard to find but they are still there.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/transportation-system/Network-Overview/highway-system/sra-reports-and-resources

Rick, I'm curious, do you know if IDOT owns any ROW just to the north of the ghost ramps (for the FAP 412/I-39 connection) in Decatur? I see some faint grading in the land right between I-72 and W Hickory Point Road outlining the ramps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.