Southern Lake Erie / Ontario Travel Tips?

Started by AsphaltPlanet, February 01, 2012, 03:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

i am getting a bit of a case of the Winter blah's and seeing as its supposed to be a nice weekend coming up, I was thinking of a short road trip.  I haven't got any real destination in mind, but I have considered traveling to Western New York, Northeast Pennsylvania, or Northeast Ohio for perhaps an overnighter.  I don't want to venture too far afield (I live in Toronto), but I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for some interesting things to see?  I like photography, and I generally like to photograph city skylines, bridges, and highways with beautiful natural scenery.  Lately I have been into long exposure night photos, and wouldn't mind trying to find some interesting vantage points for that.

Does anybody have any suggestions for interesting areas within a few hours of the Canada / US border in Niagara?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

JREwing78

Ashtabula County in Ohio is well-known for its covered bridges.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

empirestate

Assuming Pittsburgh is a little too far (a good 5 hours from the border), then Buffalo is going to be your best shot for bridges and skyline. Unfortunately it's the wrong time of year for natural scenery in Upstate NY, but the best shots are probably southern Erie into Cattaraugus counties (using the new US 219 extension, perhaps) or else the westernmost Finger Lakes (Conesus, Hemlock, Canadice have some nice drives nearby).

How about Letchworth State Park? I'd figure an hour from Buffalo by the direct route. Impressive gorge on the Genesee River, with the dizzying Portage (railroad) Bridge to boot. You can (note I don't say "may") get up onto it, but be aware it is active! Lest you suffer a heart-stopping Stand By Me moment...

AsphaltPlanet

Pittsburgh really isn't too far, but I was there for a Pirates game in September, so its kind of already trodden territory.

I am curious to drive the new US-219 extension.  I haven't driven it yet. I photographed it just before it was opened to traffic back in 2009 iirc.

Thanks for the advice.

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on February 02, 2012, 05:27:36 PM
Assuming Pittsburgh is a little too far (a good 5 hours from the border), then Buffalo is going to be your best shot for bridges and skyline. Unfortunately it's the wrong time of year for natural scenery in Upstate NY, but the best shots are probably southern Erie into Cattaraugus counties (using the new US 219 extension, perhaps) or else the westernmost Finger Lakes (Conesus, Hemlock, Canadice have some nice drives nearby).

How about Letchworth State Park? I'd figure an hour from Buffalo by the direct route. Impressive gorge on the Genesee River, with the dizzying Portage (railroad) Bridge to boot. You can (note I don't say "may") get up onto it, but be aware it is active! Lest you suffer a heart-stopping Stand By Me moment...
I've been on that bridge; it's a nice view.  They've installed fences near the bridge since then though, so it's a longer walk than it was.  The trains don't move too fast in that area but you do need to be careful as they travel through there frequently, at least in the summer.  I'm pretty sure I've seen one go by every time I've been to the park.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I've only been there in warm weather, but enjoyed the views of Lake Erie from Rondeau Provincial Park.  The nearby town of Blenheim was pleasant, but the best part of it was hitting an open breakfast at the fire station–kind of hard to plan on that one, especially in the winter!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AsphaltPlanet

Thanks for all of the advice.  I think I have settled on going skiing at Holiday Valley in Elicottville tomorrow.  Final question, does anybody know of any good skyline vantage points for Buffalo?  Particularly ones that are accessible (and safe) at night?

thenetwork

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 04, 2012, 02:24:56 PM
Thanks for all of the advice.  I think I have settled on going skiing at Holiday Valley in Elicottville tomorrow.  Final question, does anybody know of any good skyline vantage points for Buffalo?  Particularly ones that are accessible (and safe) at night?

NY-5 from the west, coming over the Skyway...  Usually if the Skyway is dangerous to drive due to snow or wind, NYDOT has advance signs alerting that the Skyway is closed.

Then if you really have the time (and a passport), the view of downtown from Fort Erie, ON and coming back on the Peace Bridge is pretty decent as well.

AsphaltPlanet

^I am a Canadian, so in order to get to the southern shore of Lake Erie I need a passport.  Yesterday, I crossed to and from New York State at the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie.  On my way back through, I did end up on the Skyway on the way back.

This is one of a few photos that I took:

One of the things that surprised me (I have never noticed it before) was how far away you can see Buffalo's skyline approaching the city along US-219.  Between the hills, I could make out the HSBC tower for probably 30 miles heading north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.