News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unusual I-70 Cantilever

Started by andrewkbrown, July 15, 2012, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkbrown

Does anyone have any ideas about this sign? Why is it off to the side and cantilevered over grass rather than the road? The many times I've passed it, it doesn't even look like it would be tall enough to go over the lanes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.933244,-82.83582&spn=0.000008,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.933239,-82.835517&panoid=5rPLvurlbF9msAxnjS-wPQ&cbp=12,304.19,,0,-3.7
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

Milepost61

There might be something in the ground they needed to avoid with a second post, a utility or something.

Was it put in by the airport instead of the DOT? Airports always kind of seem to be doing their own thing.

tdindy88

I can't say what the exact reason for that sign is, but it airport for Columbus is a little further to the northwest from that location, so it isn't an airport sign. The utility theory may be a better guess though.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

<shrugs shoulders> I guess that sign (in the photo link the OP posted) was errected in conjunction with I-670 east's (I-71 to I-270) completion in the early 90s.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

6a

I'll bet there's electric in the way.  Check out the alignment of the lights.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.933232,-82.835294&spn=0.003468,0.008256&t=h&layer=c&cbll=39.933227,-82.83506&panoid=bhnsayqlAoHa0nwqgKPbeQ&cbp=12,306.65,,0,7.82&z=18

e: I have a job that entails driving around central Ohio and I never noticed that.  Out-freaking-standing.

Central Avenue

Heh, I always kinda wondered about that one myself.

The sign itself seems to be slightly older than the other signs through that stretch, too, but not old enough to be button copy.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

My guess is the structure was positioned in anticipation of braiding between the Brice Rd and I-270 interchanges.  The sign itself looks like it dates to the 2003 sign replacement project along I-70; I have no idea if this cantilever structure is older than that, or if the '03 sign was moved to the (newer) structure sometime after.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Special K

Quote from: 6a on July 17, 2012, 08:33:26 PM
I'll bet there's electric in the way.  Check out the alignment of the lights.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.933232,-82.835294&spn=0.003468,0.008256&t=h&layer=c&cbll=39.933227,-82.83506&panoid=bhnsayqlAoHa0nwqgKPbeQ&cbp=12,306.65,,0,7.82&z=18

e: I have a job that entails driving around central Ohio and I never noticed that.  Out-freaking-standing.

As far as underground utilities go, electric is probably the easiest to relocate.  I doubt they'd change the position of the sign just for that.  Plus, notice that the sign is lit, so they'd be messing with the electric service anyway.

Central Avenue

Quote from: vtk on September 28, 2012, 02:26:12 AM
My guess is the structure was positioned in anticipation of braiding between the Brice Rd and I-270 interchanges.  The sign itself looks like it dates to the 2003 sign replacement project along I-70; I have no idea if this cantilever structure is older than that, or if the '03 sign was moved to the (newer) structure sometime after.

The age of the sign always confused me. It seems most likely that it was part of the 2003 replacement, but it and its eastbound counterpart don't match the style of the other signs through that stretch of I-70, which have the lighting above with blank space by the exit tab.

At the same time, it certainly couldn't be older than that because it would have been button copy...
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Special K

Quote from: Central Avenue on September 28, 2012, 05:20:44 PM

The age of the sign always confused me. It seems most likely that it was part of the 2003 replacement, but it and its eastbound counterpart don't match the style of the other signs through that stretch of I-70, which have the lighting above with blank space by the exit tab.

At the same time, it certainly couldn't be older than that because it would have been button copy...

The structure could be older than the sign.

agentsteel53

is it just me or are there two signs stacked on top of one another, there?

the implication is that there is a replacement sign, but the old sign was used as a backing.  (a common practice - why not, you've got a good stiff sheet of aluminum there, so you can use a thinner aluminum sheet for the new sign)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Special K

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 01, 2012, 10:45:05 AM
is it just me or are there two signs stacked on top of one another, there?

the implication is that there is a replacement sign, but the old sign was used as a backing.  (a common practice - why not, you've got a good stiff sheet of aluminum there, so you can use a thinner aluminum sheet for the new sign)

It looks to me like it's just one extruded aluminum sign. 

6a

Quote from: Special K on October 01, 2012, 10:40:02 AM
Quote from: Central Avenue on September 28, 2012, 05:20:44 PM

The structure could be older than the sign.

So, going back to my post, could it be possible the lights are depreciated with the new sign and the whole setup is where it is because of the electric for the lights?  I'm sincerely not trying to be an ass here, it just makes ODOT sense in my brain.

Special K

Quote from: 6a on October 01, 2012, 09:19:29 PM
So, going back to my post, could it be possible the lights are depreciated with the new sign and the whole setup is where it is because of the electric for the lights?  I'm sincerely not trying to be an ass here, it just makes ODOT sense in my brain.

Well, I'm certainly not going to argue with any hypothesis, because there doesn't seem to be any *logical* reason for this location.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.