Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

The word "junction"  in front of a route shield on an interchange advance guide sign or interchange sequence sign is superfluous and should not be used.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on April 03, 2021, 08:48:00 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on April 03, 2021, 07:10:56 PM
There are circumstances where you should (cautiously) proceed through a rail crossing when the lights are flashing.
That sounds like a good way to get run over by a train.

That's necessary anyway. Sometimes lights malfunction. As long as you stop and look, it's OK to proceed if no train is in the area.

kernals12

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 04, 2021, 12:00:56 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 03, 2021, 11:44:32 PM
Left-hand ramps are a clever design that reduces costs and right of way requirements.

Do they really reduce costs?  I would think two overpasses are generally more expensive than one.

They allow for shorter ramps.

wanderer2575

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 02, 2021, 04:59:47 PM
I think we need to make it more acceptable to not make a right on red. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. It should be more like a choice and not an expectation, like going over the speed limit. I'm tired of getting honked at because I hesitated a little bit when visibility/sightlines were awful and pedestrians were walking around everywhere. I legally don't have the right of way, so don't force me into a dangerous situation where I could be at fault for anything that happens. Sometimes it makes things safer for everyone to simply wait until the light turns green.

And no, I'm not that driver. I just think people on the road need to have a little more patience.

Agreed; let 'em honk.  If I don't have a clear line of sight or otherwise don't feel comfortable, I'm not making a turn on red.

I'll note that a lot of the former comes from idiots stopping past the stop bar, into the crosswalk, even practically into the intersection.  Like that will make the light turn green faster.

vdeane

Left-hand ramps are a clever design that reduces costs and right of way requirements.

Do they really reduce costs?  I would think two overpasses are generally more expensive than one.
Given his talk of ROW, I can't help but wonder if he's thinking of the Pulaski Skyway configuration.

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on April 04, 2021, 01:16:57 AM
If a freeway carries the same or fewer vehicles than a nearby surface road, it is likely best that the freeway be removed. Yes, I seriously have an irrational hatred for the Central Scranton Expressway; 307 carries just as much traffic!
So you'd like to double the amount of traffic on 307 by removing the CSE?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on April 03, 2021, 07:10:56 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 02, 2021, 10:38:41 PM
I'd also like to note that HAWKs can be confusing because they change the meaning of a double alternating red-flashing signal. When you're approaching a railroad crossing, that signal means stop and wait until it's completely dark.

Actually, the wigwam lights at rail crossings still mean "come to a complete stop and proceed only when safe".

There are circumstances where you should (cautiously) proceed through a rail crossing when the lights are flashing.  However, driving around lowered barriers is (I think) universally illegal.
Not in my state. Grade crossing signals have always meant stop and remain stopped.

The only suggestion I could make would be to move towards dual-aspect signals similar to those used on railroads. Maybe "Stop then proceed" could be symbolized with a flashing red over a solid red and "stop and remain stopped" could be solid red over solid red.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: vdeane on April 04, 2021, 12:02:02 PM
Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on April 04, 2021, 01:16:57 AM
If a freeway carries the same or fewer vehicles than a nearby surface road, it is likely best that the freeway be removed. Yes, I seriously have an irrational hatred for the Central Scranton Expressway; 307 carries just as much traffic!
So you'd like to double the amount of traffic on 307 by removing the CSE?

Honestly, I flip-flop a lot on whether it's necessary or not.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

HighwayStar

Quote from: kernals12 on April 04, 2021, 09:06:47 AM

They allow for shorter ramps.

This one is going to be very context dependent. I am generally a fan of using them in urban areas where it will save land or cost or both, but putting them in rural areas is unlikly to save much and creates unnecessary driver confusion.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

RobbieL2415

Switch to dual-aspect signals.

For example:

Double solid red: stop and remain stopped
Flashing red over solid red: Stop and proceed only when intersection clear.

Flashing yellow over solid red: proceed towards signal with caution, prepare for next signal to show solid yellow over solid red
Solid yellow over solid red: slow down and stop, next signal phase double red.
Alternating flashing yellow: proceed with caution

Green arrow(s) over solid red: proceed in indicated direction, all other traffic stop and remain stopped
Yellow arrow(s) over solid red: slow down and stop or prepare to give way in indicated direction, all other traffic stop and remain stopped
Flashing red arrow(s) over solid red: stop and proceed in indicated direction, all other traffic stop and remain stopped

Solid green over solid green, flashing green over solid green: proceed, give way if turning
Solid green arrow over solid green: proceed in indicated direction, all other traffic proceed
Flashing yellow arrow over solid green: give way in indicated direction, all other traffic proceed

Dark over flashing blue: special signal, proceed unless phase changes

Alternating flashing orange: Work zone active

I-55

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 05, 2021, 02:57:21 PM

For example:

Flashing yellow over solid red: proceed towards signal with caution, prepare for next signal to show solid yellow over solid red

Green arrow(s) over solid red: proceed in indicated direction, all other traffic stop and remain stopped
Yellow arrow(s) over solid red: slow down and stop or prepare to give way in indicated direction, all other traffic stop and remain stopped
Flashing red arrow(s) over solid red: stop and proceed in indicated direction, all other traffic stop and remain stopped

Solid green over solid green, flashing green over solid green: proceed, give way if turning
Solid green arrow over solid green: proceed in indicated direction, all other traffic proceed
Flashing yellow arrow over solid green: give way in indicated direction, all other traffic proceed

Unless you're used to reading railroad signals this seems like it would confuse a lot of drivers. I understand how to read most 3 stack signals with 4 colors, but for all the different patterns given it would be confusing for the average motorist, many of whom are confused by our current traffic signal repertoire however that's possible granted we have signs with words next to almost all signals.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

SEWIGuy

For example:

People struggle with roundabouts, and you are making this suggestion?

HighwayStar

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 05, 2021, 04:32:07 PM

For example:

People struggle with roundabouts, and you are making this suggestion?

Roundabouts are difficult because its never clear if you have the right of way or not.

hbelkins

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 05, 2021, 04:42:37 PM

Roundabouts are difficult because its never clear if you have the right of way or not.

No, it's always clear. Vehicles in the circle have the right of way and drivers approaching the circle must yield.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

HighwayStar

Quote from: hbelkins on April 05, 2021, 04:48:38 PM

No, it's always clear. Vehicles in the circle have the right of way and drivers approaching the circle must yield.

Yeah but good luck deciding when a vehicle is going to be in the circle or not. Is the car coming going to exit or is it going to continue? In a world where people actually did what they were supposed to, used blinkers, etc. it would be fine, but in practice they are usually an accident waiting to happen.

1995hoo

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 05, 2021, 04:54:59 PM

Yeah but good luck deciding when a vehicle is going to be in the circle or not. Is the car coming going to exit or is it going to continue? In a world where people actually did what they were supposed to, used blinkers, etc. it would be fine, but in practice they are usually an accident waiting to happen.

If you don't know, you have to assume the vehicle will stay on the roundabout. It's unfortunate that so many buffoons think they're exempt from using their blinkers, but that's not an excuse for causing an accident.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Steve.S

C'mon...roundabouts are about as simple as you can get.  Yield to traffic from the left (or from the right in Commonwealth countries).  Why make it seem so difficult?
Semper ubi sub ubi.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Steve.S on April 05, 2021, 04:59:27 PM

C'mon...roundabouts are about as simple as you can get.  Yield to traffic from the left (or from the right in Commonwealth countries).  Why make it seem so difficult?

Yes, but that "traffic" is coming aground an (often) blind corner and may or may not turn, so it is difficult to say if it will be there or not.

hotdogPi

There's also the issue of whether something is a roundabout or not. I-95/US 1 (sequential exit 50) in Danvers, MA is somewhat in that gray area; while it leans toward not being one, there are others that are much more ambiguous.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hotdogPi

Here's how I see traffic signals:

Green = go
Solid yellow = still green, but it's going to end in a few seconds
Flashing yellow = basically treat it as if nothing is there. When continuing straight, this means you have priority (as flashing yellows are put on the main road). When turning, you have to yield to other movements as you would without a signal. If somehow a flashing yellow up arrow exists intended as a FYA, this would be a major violation and should not exist.
Red = stop and stay stopped. Turn on red (including ball/arrow, rightmost lane only, and LTOR) is a feature of the law, not of the signal itself.
Flashing red, including at a rail crossing = stop once, then continue when safe. (For railroad crossings, gates may prevent you from continuing, but that's a physical barrier, not part of the meaning of the signal.)
Dark = same as flashing red, usually caused by power outage.

An arrow overrides a ball for that particular direction. Arrows do nothing except indicate direction except for the states where turn on red arrow is not allowed; this includes flashing yellow.

HAWKs follow these rules for flashing reds but not the dark portion.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

interstatefan990

I'd say most people hate roundabouts not because of right-of-way confusion, but because it is the only type of roadway design that constantly requires you to be turning the steering wheel and following a curve. Focusing on that and looking for the correct exit is a stressful task for those people. It goes against what the average driver is used to.

Quote from: 1 on April 05, 2021, 05:53:37 PM

Dark signals aren't always the same as flashing reds. All dark signals are all-way stops, but not all flashing reds are all-way stops. Flashing reds are almost always posted at places where you have to yield to other traffic, whether that be someone who has stopped at the intersection before you, or non-stopping through traffic that may or may not have a flashing yellow.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 1 on April 05, 2021, 05:53:37 PM

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 05, 2021, 06:02:28 PM
Dark signals aren't always the same as flashing reds. All dark signals are all-way stops, but not all flashing reds are all-way stops. Flashing reds are almost always posted at places where you have to yield to other traffic, whether that be someone who has stopped at the intersection before you, or non-stopping through traffic that may or may not have a flashing yellow.

Indeed.  My son gets confused sometimes on his route home from school.  There are two back-to-back intersections with stop signs and flashing reds that are nearly identical.  Only one of them is marked "All Way Stop". 

jeffandnicole

Actually, in many state laws, the opposite is true. The laws generally state, when there's no control, motorists on the left must yield to those on the right.  In that case, traffic going into the roundabout would have the right of way; those within the circle must yield.

What makes the roundabouts work is that there's signage.  Yield signs posted for those entering the roundabout override that basic traffic rule.  Thus, traffic entering the roundabout must yield, and that yield sign now gives those within the roundabout the right of way. 

Steve.S

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 05, 2021, 06:02:28 PM
I'd say most people hate roundabouts not because of right-of-way confusion, but because it is the only type of roadway design that constantly requires you to be turning the steering wheel and following a curve. Focusing on that and looking for the correct exit is a stressful task for those people. It goes against what the average driver is used to.

Meh.  Just circle until you figure out which exit is yours.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Big John

wanderer2575

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 05, 2021, 05:01:05 PM
Quote from: Steve.S on April 05, 2021, 04:59:27 PM

Yes, but that "traffic" is coming aground an (often) blind corner and may or may not turn, so it is difficult to say if it will be there or not.

How is that any different than a standard intersection?  If I'm turning right at an intersection, I don't know if the approaching vehicle already on that road will turn so I wait until it turns or goes past me.  Even with its blinker on, I usually wait.  Too many idiots driving for miles oblivious to their blinkers being on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.