News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Happy Halloween!

Started by Roadgeekteen, October 31, 2017, 06:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Eat any candy today? This is my first year not going trick or treating.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

I'm working. We have candy that we're giving out, but it's mostly the staff that have been eating it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Takumi on October 31, 2017, 06:49:24 PM
I'm working. We have candy that we're giving out, but it's mostly the staff that have been eating it.
What kind of candy?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

My wife was answering the door and I stood there next to her to scare the neighborhood kids. One girl dressed as Wonder Woman stared at me for a second before running away and hugging her mom in terror.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Delayed until Saturday. Apparently some people still don't have power.

I normally give out candy.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

adventurernumber1

Happy Halloween!   :cheers:

I have spent pretty much all of today doing the little schoolwork that was assigned at the moment, playing video games, browsing Google Maps Street View, and contributing to the end-of-the-month roundup in the "Daily Picture Challenge!" thread on this forum. I actually haven't participated that much in Halloween for the past few years. 6th Grade was the last year that I dressed up and went trick-or-treating, and 8th Grade was the last (and second) year that I gave out candy at my house. I've done nothing since then. I do usually eat a lot of candy still, but very strangely, I actually haven't gotten the chance to do it yet at all today (even though I did eat some yesterday and a few days ago). I'll get to it, though.  :)

Quote from: 1 on October 31, 2017, 09:51:05 PM
Delayed until Saturday. Apparently some people still don't have power.

I normally give out candy.

Dang, man. I hope you and all the other folks in your area get your power back soon!

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

We went with our three boys in my parents' neighborhood.  Three years ago, it was dead (no pun intended) up there for trick-or-treating, but a lot of families with kids have moved in since then, and now the streets are crawling with kids and pretty much every other house is open for trick-or-treating.  The boys wore the same costumes as last year, because we're broke and the costumes are awesome anyway (Star Wars characters).  A police officer stopped once, got out, squatted down to our kids' level, and gave them candy.  I have mixed feelings about that.  A few years ago, the officers were handing candy out of the patrol car window.  All I could keep thinking was, Why are the police teaching children to take candy from strangers in cars?  Anyway, we combine all the kids' candy soon after Halloween, and then we eat from the bucket for months to come.  There's always some left by the next Halloween–you know, things no one really cares for all that much.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 31, 2017, 06:38:18 PM

Eating some Rockets right now (and Snickers too) :)

Side note: Why is the centre one so much larger than the rest in this picture?

hotdogPi

Quote from: 7/8 on November 01, 2017, 06:03:41 PM

Side note: Why is the centre one so much larger than the rest in this picture?

Rockets? I've always known them as Smarties.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

7/8

Quote from: 1 on November 01, 2017, 06:52:13 PM

In Canada they're Rockets since we have a different candy called Smarties

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 7/8 on November 01, 2017, 07:02:52 PM
Quote from: 1 on November 01, 2017, 06:52:13 PM

In Canada they're Rockets since we have a different candy called Smarties
I remember my brother eating a lot of those from Canada given to us by a family friend. He used to be allergic to m & ms.  I also remember me and my family stopping in Moncton New Brunswick to get a ton of these.

Desert Man

My 666th registered forum post ...and 13th reply in a Halloween thread (WAHAHAHAHAHA).  :ded:

I had a wonderful time with my wife and 3 kids trick-or-treating, but Halloween today is before daylight savings time ends. When I was a child in the 1980s, daylight savings time ended in early and then late October before Halloween. It would make Halloween safer to children or they would have to carry a flashlight after sunset and dusk. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

bandit957

Anyone remember a brand of bubble gum called Swell? They used to give this out as a Halloween candy back in my day.

How about a brand of bubble gum called Pal?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Desert Man on November 08, 2017, 11:19:31 PM
My 666th registered forum post ...and 13th reply in a Halloween thread (WAHAHAHAHAHA).  :ded:

I had a wonderful time with my wife and 3 kids trick-or-treating, but Halloween today is before daylight savings time ends. When I was a child in the 1980s, daylight savings time ended in early and then late October before Halloween. It would make Halloween safer to children or they would have to carry a flashlight after sunset and dusk.
Isn't the whole point of Halloween to is to go trick or treating in the dark?

PHLBOS

Quote from: bandit957 on November 09, 2017, 10:24:55 AMAnyone remember a brand of bubble gum called Swell?
Not the gum per say but rather the factory in Haverford Township (aka Havertown), Delaware County, PA.  I live about 10 miles from it.

Concord Confections Purchases Philadelphia Chewing Gum Corporation

Quote from: Vintageveggies.com linkCONCORD, ONTARIO–(June 27, 2003) – Concord Confections, Inc., manufacturers of the world's first bubble gum brand   Dubble Bubble, announce the purchase of the Philadelphia Chewing Gum Corporation, for an undisclosed sum. The Philadelphia Chewing Gum Corporation is a 55 year old business, headquartered in Havertown, Pennsylvania.  The purchase includes several popular and proprietary brands including Swell bubble gum, El Bubble gum cigars, Cry Baby extra sour bubble gum, Gold Rocks Nugget Bubble Gum, Joe Blo giant size bubble gum and many more.

Here's a couple pics of the old Swell Philadelphia Gum Factory building (back when it existed):

The factory closed in 2003 & the building was torn down circa 2011.  There's now a Y in its place.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Halloween today is before daylight savings time ends. When I was a child in the 1980s, daylight savings time ended in early and then late October before Halloween. It would make Halloween safer to children or they would have to carry a flashlight after sunset and dusk. 

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Trick or Treat in Manchester NH, where my grandmother lived. was held the Sunday afternoon prior to Halloween in the early to mid afternoon hours for precisely that reason - so the kids wouldn't be walking around in the dark.  When we were younger, we would bring our costumes and walk the block my grandmother lived on while my parents visited with her.  Nice way to score some extra candy.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 09, 2017, 10:59:57 AM

YES.  Thank you!

I can't imagine wanting to go trick-or-treating before dark.  Alas! there are some cities that actually prohibit trick-or-treating after dark.  Des Moines (may God have mercy) not only makes you trick-or-treat in the daytime, but makes you do it the day BEFORE.  This sort of thing sickens me.  Thank heavens I live in a city where people still walk around the streets after dark on October 31.

But Desert Man has his facts backwards.  At the end of DST, you set your clocks back an hour.  So, if the sun had been setting at 7 PM, then it would now be setting at 6 PM instead.  Ending DST after Halloween only serves to increase the amount of daylight trick-or-treaters get to enjoy/have to endure.  In other words, you were more likely to need a flashlight in the 1980s than you were last week.  This is, in fact, one of the arguments people employ in defense of the extended DST season.  I fart in their general direction.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2017, 03:53:03 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 09, 2017, 10:59:57 AM

YES.  Thank you!

I can't imagine wanting to go trick-or-treating before dark.  Alas! there are some cities that actually prohibit trick-or-treating after dark.  Des Moines (may God have mercy) not only makes you trick-or-treat in the daytime, but makes you do it the day BEFORE.  This sort of thing sickens me.  Thank heavens I live in a city where people still walk around the streets after dark on October 31.

But Desert Man has his facts backwards.  At the end of DST, you set your clocks back an hour.  So, if the sun had been setting at 7 PM, then it would now be setting at 6 PM instead.  Ending DST after Halloween only serves to increase the amount of daylight trick-or-treaters get to enjoy/have to endure.  In other words, you were more likely to need a flashlight in the 1980s than you were last week.  This is, in fact, one of the arguments people employ in defense of the extended DST season.  I fart in their general direction.
Many glow up things you associate with Halloween don't work during the day. Also, you don't want to ruin dinner with to much candy :spin:.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.