News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving plans

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 18, 2017, 09:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

What are you doing for Thanksgiving? I am seeing family.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Sealing myself away on a comfortable couch with all day football and beer.  Hoping to do a distance run a little before sunrise maybe also.

bulldog1979

I'll be at work from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. that day, and then I should be spending the rest of the afternoon and evening with family enjoying a second Thanksgiving meal. (I'll get a first at work.)

jwolfer

I work Wednesday and Friday.. driving from Orlando to Jacksonville to eat dinner at my parents with my kids

Z981

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bulldog1979 on November 18, 2017, 10:14:57 PM
I'll be at work from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. that day, and then I should be spending the rest of the afternoon and evening with family enjoying a second Thanksgiving meal. (I'll get a first at work.)
You work on Thanksgiving?!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 18, 2017, 10:39:17 PM

There are a few restaurants like Denny's that are open on Thanksgiving.  Plus you have a few NFL teams that are playing as well, so there's people working at those stadiums.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 18, 2017, 09:58:40 PM
Sealing myself away on a comfortable couch with all day football and beer.

This, absolutely, especially since my team plays Thursday (SKOL Vikings!). Turkey (and all the other food I could ever eat) later in the evening, too, which is nice.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 18, 2017, 10:39:17 PM

Someone has to take the money of all those goblins that show up to drool over a $9 off sale on a shoddy television.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 19, 2017, 06:31:10 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 18, 2017, 09:58:40 PM
Sealing myself away on a comfortable couch with all day football and beer.

This, absolutely, especially since my team plays Thursday (SKOL Vikings!). Turkey (and all the other food I could ever eat) later in the evening, too, which is nice.

This year they play the Lions which just happens to be my team since I'm from Detroit originally.  I used to go to the game with my Dad, Uncle, and Grandpa somewhat regularly.  My Uncle is still a season ticket holder after all these years.  He keeps saying he's going to stop getting season tickets every year because the Lions never do anything.

TheHighwayMan3561

Work 8-2 then a bunch of family stuff. I'm not getting much slack at all from my job next week from Thursday onward.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

My parents live in Fairfax and they're hosting this year. We will bring sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce (ask me if you want the recipe....super-easy), and pecan pie. (I have a better pie recipe that doesn't include liquor, but it takes longer to make and includes a ton more sugar, which is a problem for my father.  If anyone wants that recipe, let me know and I'll post it–I'm off work all week.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I'm off Thursday and Friday, in addition to the weekend, unless there is some sort of major incident that impacts traffic in my area. We're just going to have a small dinner here at home for my wife and me on Thursday.

If I'm lucky, I won't have to venture off of my place between the time I get home on Wednesday evening until I have to go to work on Monday. My primary goal is to avoid crowds and traffic jams -- which is my primary goal the other 361 days of the year.  :bigass:

I'll be watching the UK-Louisville football game on Saturday.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

noelbotevera

I've already had my Thanksgiving dinner, and all of the family is together, so no need to visit family. Time to start Christmas plans.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2017, 08:18:13 PM
I'm off Thursday and Friday, in addition to the weekend, unless there is some sort of major incident that impacts traffic in my area. We're just going to have a small dinner here at home for my wife and me on Thursday.

If I'm lucky, I won't have to venture off of my place between the time I get home on Wednesday evening until I have to go to work on Monday.

I have similar intentions, except for me Thanksgiving with family will be on the other side of the D.C. metro area, so just a little bit of travel.

I also plan to wait out Black Friday, though I might venture out locally for Small Business Saturday.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 19, 2017, 08:21:39 PM
I've already had my Thanksgiving dinner, and all of the family is together, so no need to visit family. Time to start Christmas plans.
Why did you have an early thanksgiving?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 19, 2017, 10:27:55 PM

I wouldn't pester everybody about their personal life, as it's considered extremely rude.  They don't have to explain everything to you about what they do..

US 89

I'm driving to Albuquerque for a family reunion, and I plan to clinch US 491 on the way.  :sombrero:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 19, 2017, 11:13:52 PM
I'm driving to Albuquerque for a family reunion, and I plan to clinch US 491 on the way.  :sombrero:
Be careful.

epzik8

Parade, cooking, eating, football
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Henry

Surprise! I'm staying home, with my wife's family flying up from San Diego.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman

Spending Thanksgiving with my brother and his family.  They live only about 25 minutes away, so it's an easy drive on back roads.  The drive is just long enough so I can honor another family Thanksgiving tradition - listening to Alice's Restaurant on the way (got to keep that membership current, you know).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Also, people forget that TV stations don't operate themselves.  If you're watching TV, there's hundreds of people working to make sure those shows are on the air.

So, if people are against shopping on Thanksgiving because people should be home with their families, why aren't they the least bit concerned about the people they're watching on TV, or the many people behind the scenes that allow those TV stations to operate on a holiday?  They aren't home with their families either.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 20, 2017, 09:55:16 AM
Also, people forget that TV stations don't operate themselves.  If you're watching TV, there's hundreds of people working to make sure those shows are on the air.

So, if people are against shopping on Thanksgiving because people should be home with their families, why aren't they the least bit concerned about the people they're watching on TV, or the many people behind the scenes that allow those TV stations to operate on a holiday?  They aren't home with their families either.

And then you have police officers, firefighters, hospital employees, and others who have to work on Thanksgiving and other major holidays.

And don't forget highway department employees who may get called out in an emergency. It's not likely we'll have accumulating snows here on Thanksgiving, but our crews have had to get out on Christmas to plow and salt the roads.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 19, 2017, 10:35:12 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 19, 2017, 10:27:55 PM

I wouldn't pester everybody about their personal life, as it's considered extremely rude.  They don't have to explain everything to you about what they do..

I took the liberty of changing this admonition to "admin purple" because it really should have been posted as a directive instead of just a suggestion.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

index

Planning to binge watch a show for the five days I won't be at school.

On the holiday, I will be putting up with my father's annoying Thanksgiving habit of playing reggae music during dinner, to everybody's displeasure, (it's a festivity so apparently it needs music, according to him... if anyone complains, he pitches a fit) as everyone awkwardly eats in silence while it blasts in the background... Maybe this time he'll figure that the awkward silence comes from loud, out-of-place music during a holiday gathering this time?

After dinner I'll feed my cat because they always try to lock her in the garage during dinner and I feel sorry, then I'll go to my room and angrily mind my own business.

After the holiday, dinner will not be cooked for a week. We'll have to eat nasty leftovers - nasty because the way my parents store it usually makes all the stuff congeal and get all mashed and/or mixed together, and it turns all nasty and watery when you reheat it, with chunks of ice still in there even though you've microwaved it for two minutes...

I suppose this is better than those who don't have much to eat on Thanksgiving at all. I know, I'm a bit of a complainer.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 20, 2017, 09:55:16 AM

Because providing coverage of Thanksgiving events like the Macy's parade and football games actually enhances the holiday for people.  Blatant consumerism such as pre-pre-pre Black Friday "line up at 2 in the morning to get a minimal discount on cheaply made disposable junk" nonsense for Christmas is totally needless at Thanksgiving (one holiday at a time please), especially when you usually can get the same stuff at the same or greater discount a week or two later.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.