News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida Road Trip

Started by leroys73, December 07, 2015, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroys73

My special needs daughter and I gave my wife a break over T-day.  We took a 2800 mile motorcycle trip from Dallas to south Florida to visit my very special aunt who had been sick. 

It was mostly an interstate or interstate like highway trip.  :sleep:.  I-20 to Jackson, MS the US 49 and 98 to Mobile to pick up I-10.  We did drop down to Apalachicola to ride 98.  We stopped near Carrabelle where during WW II our soldiers trained for the D-Day invasion on Dog Island. We cruised over to Perry, then 19 into St. Pete, Desoto State Park, and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge connecting with 75 to Nokomis/Venice.

Aunt was doing fine.  Her son and his wife were in from south Georgia so I got to visit with them.  I haven't seen them in 10 years.  We also visited a couple of other relatives in Tampa and Plant City. 

After three days in Nokomis we headed back home.  Back roads to Tallahassee then I-10, I-12, I-10 to I-49 then I-20 to Big D.  We did make the trip across the Lake Pontchartrain Bridge.  That was the first time by motorcycle we had crossed it. 

When my daughter goes with me on a motorcycle trip it makes for a slow journey.  Each stop take 3 or 4 times longer.  By car it is not such an ordeal since not so many clothes must be worn and removed for RR stops.  But she did well and it was a good trip. I needed another road trip by motorcycle before it gets too cold so this was a good one.

I had some pictures but I had trouble retrieving them.

'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.