News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Speed Traps...

Started by Tomahawkin, August 02, 2009, 01:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eth

Yeah, 40mph is a bit excessive if on-street parking is present.  If it isn't, though, 40 seems reasonable, especially if it's divided.

SidS1045

Quote from: connroadgeek on April 01, 2011, 06:20:59 PM
the Connecticut State Police generally have a hands off approach on highways other than the very rural areas or during targeted campaigns regarding traffic enforcement.

Problem is, those targeted campaigns in CT are generally zero tolerance.  If the posted limit is 55 and you're doing 56, you'll be stopped and cited.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

mjb2002

Ridgeland, the county seat of Jasper County, South Carolina, has been in the news lately over their use of speed traps along Interstate 95, which runs through the eastern part of the town limits.

The state wants to make it illegal for towns and cities to use speed traps or speed cams in the way that Ridgeland is currently doing.

ftballfan

In Michigan, very few people actually follow the speed limits. On I-196 just east of US-131, I was doing 80+ and not catching the cars in front of me (65 mph zone). Back when US-131 through Grand Rapids was 55 mph, everyone usually went at least 70-75 mph. Now the speed limit on that stretch of road is 70 outside of the S-Curve and 50 within it.

Here's an interesting speed limit set (M-45 from I-196 to Grand Valley State University):

I-196 to Oakleigh Ave (five-lane undivided): 35 mph, everyone goes at least 45-50 through here

Oakleigh Ave to Sunset Hills Ave (five-lane undivided): 45 mph, average speed: 55+

Sunset Hills Ave to Wilson Ave (M-11) (five-lane undivided): 35 mph, no one hardly ever slows down

Wilson Ave (M-11) to Ferndale Ave (five-lane undivided): 45 mph

Ferndale Ave to 24th Ave (five-lane undivided): 55 mph, average speed closer to 65

24th Ave to GVSU entrance (four-lane divided with limited access): 55 mph, most people go 70 or more through this stretch

The tiny village of Eastmanville along 68th Ave in Ottawa County (which, IMHO, should be a state highway) includes a short 45 mph section and a stoplight. 68th is 55 mph on both sides of Eastmanville.

Brandon

Quote from: mjb2002 on April 05, 2011, 07:28:13 PM
Ridgeland, the county seat of Jasper County, South Carolina, has been in the news lately over their use of speed traps along Interstate 95, which runs through the eastern part of the town limits.

The state wants to make it illegal for towns and cities to use speed traps or speed cams in the way that Ridgeland is currently doing.

As well they should.  Illinois solved this problem years ago by mandating that revenue from speed patrols goes to the state first then a percentage goes to the municipality.  Stops most of the funny business.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Quillz

I just came back from a trip to Mammoth and I swear, some of the small towns along US-395 are virtual speed traps. Like in Independence, the speed limit drops from 65 down to 25 in about a quarter mile, and there is always a cop waiting there. I nearly got pulled over because I was still in the 50's when entering the town limits. I didn't get a ticket... This year. But in past years, my family has gotten tickets on many random stretches of 395, usually for doing as little as 5-10 mph over the speed limit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.