News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

HOV Lane Styles

Started by Riverside Frwy, March 20, 2010, 03:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on March 21, 2010, 01:31:51 PM
Anyone know why I-405(California) from Interstate 10 through the Sepulveda pass to US 101 the HOV lane is only for the southbound side?( Well, that's what I saw the last time I was there)

heading to LAX?  Gotta catch that plane!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

I think the long-term aim is to have continuous HOV lanes on I-405 in both directions.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

realjd

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on March 20, 2010, 06:13:01 PM
You completely missed the point, trying so hard to defend your friend from me. I am not going around calling it a "Rhombus lane". By "term" I meant that you can call the SHAPE used on an HOV lane either a diamond or rhombus. I was NOT talking about the actually term used for the lane itself. I wasn't trying to show disrepect to myosh_tino, just proving my point that the term "rhombus" exists.

No worries. I didn't actually see who posted first, or pay attention to who I was replying to. I wasn't defending anyone, or targeting you for anything. No disrespect was intended for anyone. I did miss your point though - I thought you were stating that "rhombus lane" was a common term.

It's just an internet forum; FWIW, I don't consider anyone here a "friend" or an "enemy". We're all here to learn something, and part of that is friendly debate.

PAHighways

The only HOV lanes in Pennsylvania are barrier-separated and located in the medians of the newest sections of I-279 and I-579.  They serve a dual purpose as they are also the North Hill Busway, which is the only one in Pittsburgh to allow personal vehicles and they're one of the reasons construction finally began on these long-awaited expressway segments.

I finally rode them this past Friday and have a few pictures from its prospective on my Tumblr page, or take the virtual drive of SR 6279 and SR 6579 on the VidLog.

Riverside Frwy

Quote from: realjd on March 21, 2010, 02:23:08 PM
You completely missed the point, trying so hard to defend your friend from me. I am not going around calling it a "Rhombus lane". By "term" I meant that you can call the SHAPE used on an HOV lane either a diamond or rhombus. I was NOT talking about the actually term used for the lane itself. I wasn't trying to show disrepect to myosh_tino, just proving my point that the term "rhombus" exists.
No worries. I didn't actually see who posted first, or pay attention to who I was replying to. I wasn't defending anyone, or targeting you for anything. No disrespect was intended for anyone. I did miss your point though - I thought you were stating that "rhombus lane" was a common term.

It's just an internet forum; FWIW, I don't consider anyone here a "friend" or an "enemy". We're all here to learn something, and part of that is friendly debate.

Very well, all good then.

I-110 in Los Angeles is the most fantastic display of HOV goodness I've ever seen.(Drove it today) Direct HOV access ramps directly to the Artesia transit center, also the soaring HOV ramps from I-105 directly to I-110. From there, you have 4 lanes(2 per direction) of HOV goodness. This fantastic stretch has bus stops in median, and of course to top it all off it is elevated some parts. To bad the elevated part abruptly ends just south of I-10. This has to be the most epic HOV lane in the world.

FreewayBrent made this video that shows it well, though nothing beats witnessing this beast of a HOV lane in person:(Skip to 2:35)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8SwidLRBg

froggie

Quote-On I-264 for a few miles in Virginia Beach (around Independence Blvd and possibly Witchduck and Rosemont Roads) between 6-8 AM and 4-6 PM the outside shoulder is also open to HOV traffic, and during busy times outside of this period, it is sometimes opened to all traffic, designated entirely by variable-message signs mounted over the lane. The shoulder is separated from traffic by a normal solid white line, but also has a white line along the very edge of the roadway, and the lane separating line changes to dashed a short distance before exit and after entrance ramps, accompanied by "Begin to Exit Here" signs.

This one is similar to a stretch of I-66 west of the DC Beltway.  The outside shoulder is not the HOV lane.  Instead, during the peak periods when HOV restrictions are in effect, the inside lane is the HOV lane and traffic is allowed to use the outside shoulder as a regular lane.  This was done because the HOV lane was added as a conversion, not an addition (the I-64 lanes were additions, as was I-264 west of 64 into downtown), and both VDOT and local officials wanted to maintain the same number of regular lanes during peak hours.  So what is normally 4 lanes each way on 264 becomes 4+1HOV during peak hours.

myosh_tino

First off, let me say that I don't know any of the other posters on a personal level.  Second, I didn't mean to say that calling that symbol a rhombus is wrong in my last post.  It's just that I hadn't heard the term "rhombus" since I was in grade school (many, many years ago) and up here in northern California, some people call that symbol a "diamond".  If that's the way I came across Riverside Frwy, I'm sorry. 

Instead of watching the NCAA basketball tournament (and seeing my bracket fall completely to pieces), I should have checked the boards so I could have diffused the situation.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Riverside Frwy

Well, it's fine now......however now I know never to call a diamond a Rhombus.

EDIT: Well, lets just end this now and continue with the topic, ok? I'm sorry I got a little pissed off, but it was irretating having 3 people down my throat just because I said rhombus.

Bickendan

Quote from: corco on March 20, 2010, 07:13:10 PM
QuoteIf an HOV is meant to be barrier separated and not reversible (I-5 in Seattle), I'd say it's almost better to go full on express-collector setup as on the ON 401. But that eats a very big ROW footprint.

Where is it barrier separated and not reversible on I-5 in Seattle? The Express Lanes are reversible and I can't think of anywhere else that's barrier separated.
Looks like my post wasn't clear: I didn't have an example of a barrier separated HOV but I did of a reversible. The only barrier separated HOV in Metropolitan Puget Sound is at the I-5/405/WA518 interchange -- and interchanges don't really count.

As far as Portland goes, it has a peak-hour HOV lane on the N Minnesota Ave portion of I-5 north. Solid stripe delineation, open to general traffic save from 3-6 PM M-F. There is a temporary barrier separation from Lombard St (US 30 Byp) to Marine Dr/MLK Blvd (OR 99E) for the freeway widening.

andytom

Quote from: Bickendan on March 22, 2010, 12:26:12 AM
Quote from: corco on March 20, 2010, 07:13:10 PM
QuoteIf an HOV is meant to be barrier separated and not reversible (I-5 in Seattle), I'd say it's almost better to go full on express-collector setup as on the ON 401. But that eats a very big ROW footprint.

Where is it barrier separated and not reversible on I-5 in Seattle? The Express Lanes are reversible and I can't think of anywhere else that's barrier separated.
Looks like my post wasn't clear: I didn't have an example of a barrier separated HOV but I did of a reversible.

From what I know, unless this has changed since the last time I went up there, the I-90 Express Lanes are HOV but the I-5 ones are not.  There is one lane, in the 4 lane section downtown, that is HOV, along with an exit or two, but the whole thing isn't (including the ramps to/from mainline I-5).

--Andy

haljackey

Around here HOV lanes are 2+ 24h, 7 days a week.
-They have a striped buffer zone to divide it from regular traffic lanes
-They have a paved shoulder to the left.
-If you're driving a green/environmentally friendly car, you can use HOV lanes if its just you in the car.

Pictures:

agentsteel53

how do you say "Two or More Persons" in French?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

"Deux personnes ou plus" (je pensais).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

This plan sheet comes from Caltrans project 11-2T0404 (I-5/I-805 HOV direct connector), and shows typical signing for Caltrans HOV lanes.  I am not sure Caltrans has any G-series (or even SG-series) specs which actually use the acronym "HOV."

11-2T0404 was advertised today.  In terms of signing it is pretty juicy, with 21 pattern-accurate sign design sheets.

Riverside Frwy

Canada is lucky. I wish LA had enough space to build a full 10 lane freeway plus HOV lane with a full left shoulder and wide buffer zone with space to spare.(AND keep it looking nice.)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: froggie on March 21, 2010, 09:05:20 PM
Quote-On I-264 for a few miles in Virginia Beach (around Independence Blvd and possibly Witchduck and Rosemont Roads) between 6-8 AM and 4-6 PM the outside shoulder is also open to HOV traffic, and during busy times outside of this period, it is sometimes opened to all traffic, designated entirely by variable-message signs mounted over the lane. The shoulder is separated from traffic by a normal solid white line, but also has a white line along the very edge of the roadway, and the lane separating line changes to dashed a short distance before exit and after entrance ramps, accompanied by "Begin to Exit Here" signs.

This one is similar to a stretch of I-66 west of the DC Beltway.  The outside shoulder is not the HOV lane.  Instead, during the peak periods when HOV restrictions are in effect, the inside lane is the HOV lane and traffic is allowed to use the outside shoulder as a regular lane.  This was done because the HOV lane was added as a conversion, not an addition (the I-64 lanes were additions, as was I-264 west of 64 into downtown), and both VDOT and local officials wanted to maintain the same number of regular lanes during peak hours.  So what is normally 4 lanes each way on 264 becomes 4+1HOV during peak hours.

Ah. I wasn't sure on this stretch, as I make it a point not to travel I-264 during rush hour. Makes sense though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Riverside Frwy

Question, is it standard on the intervals of the "diamond" painted on the lane? I find it is painted in closer intervals in Northern California, and like in Tennessee I think they were painted way farther apart.(From what I remember)

dude, give up the rhombus kvetching.  everyone but you knows what you mean.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on March 22, 2010, 10:51:05 PM
Question, is it standard on the intervals of the "diamond" painted on the lane? I find it is painted in closer intervals in Northern California, and like in Tennessee I think they were painted way farther apart.(From what I remember)
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if California is breaking another federal standard.  

I don't think this forum supports posting in different fonts
Take the road less traveled.

myosh_tino

I don't know of any standards but I think the road markings up here in Northern California are at 1/10th mile intervals.  Not sure what the interval is in other states.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadfro

The national MUTCD does not prescribe a set standard for the spacing of the diamond symbol in preferential lanes, but gives the guidance that engineering judgment considering the type of road and conditions should be used in determining the interval. Thus, I would imagine many states have developed their own guidelines on this.

While not a standard, the California MUTCD seems to suggest that the diamond symbol should be placed at about 500-foot intervals on freeways, which is roughly every 1/10th mile.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

haljackey

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on March 22, 2010, 09:32:37 PM
Canada is lucky. I wish LA had enough space to build a full 10 lane freeway plus HOV lane with a full left shoulder and wide buffer zone with space to spare.(AND keep it looking nice.)

Well that's because we don't build frontage roads next to highways, and design them intended for expansion.

Only the old routes are space constrained, and that's due to the frontage roads.  It takes huge construction projects to upgrade them. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: haljackey on March 23, 2010, 03:01:32 PM
Only the old routes are space constrained, and that's due to the frontage roads.

In other words, the QEW.

Riverside Frwy

EDIT: I decided to move it the "Road related illustrations" thread.

mightyace

Quote from: Annunciation70130 on March 21, 2010, 12:25:03 AM
Memphis
Contiguous - broken single white line

Nashville is the same.

Knoxville and Chattanooga have no HOV lanes.

The extent of the HOV lanes in Tennessee can be seen at:
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/smartcommute/docs/HOVLanes.pdf
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.