News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signs that are incorrectly used

Started by Brian556, December 09, 2011, 12:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This topic is about signs that are incorrectly used. I would like this topic to exclude route marker/guide signs. The purpose of this topic is to see a variety of warning and regulatory sign misuse. Construction will go in a seperate topic.

Here's and example to get us started. A T-Intersection warning sign used in place of a double arrow sign:

Scott5114

There is an assembly I've been meaning to take a picture of in McClain County, OK where a stop sign is paired with a DEAD END sign, apparently to emphasize the message that there is nothing much to go to beyond the sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Brian556

QuoteThere is an assembly I've been meaning to take a picture of in McClain County, OK where a stop sign is paired with a DEAD END sign, apparently to emphasize the message that there is nothing much to go to beyond the sign.

I've seen a stop sign above a do not enter sign on an exit ramp on SR 153 in Chattanooga, Tn several years ago.

QuoteChevrons, anyone?

There is a similar situation on a rural road around here. There are two curve symbol signs and one DANGEROUS CURVE worded sign in advance of the curve, but no chevrons.

Street View:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Double+Oak,+TX&hl=en&ll=33.062953,-97.131071&spn=0.000072,0.038495&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.291089,78.837891&vpsrc=6&hnear=Double+Oak,+Denton,+Texas&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=33.061011,-97.131526&panoid=Kc4ooV_ADWF-B5kRYTnNLw&cbp=12,159.61,,0,0

kphoger

Oh wow, if only I had started a database of these!

Herrin, Illinois:  S. 7th Street where it dead-ends at the railroad spur to the (former) Maytag factory - There's a STOP sign at the end of the street, like if you kept driving past the dead end you'd run smack into it.

Fairfield, Illinois:  Heading into town from the north on Clay City Blacktop (county road #something or other), T-intersection at Maple Hill Cemetary - Just as in the case above, the T advance sign in place of a double arrow.

These are just from memory, I seem to recall southern Illinois having a LOT of sign mixups.

One of the most common I see all over the place is a lane reduction sign (you know, it looks like |\ sort of) when really it should be 'right lane must turn' sign.  Oh yeah, and let's count how many county road markers in Minnesota have a Jct placard when they don't need one?  Could it be in the billions?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.