News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New AHTD Rest Areas

Started by US71, July 21, 2017, 09:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

AHTD has been spending a lot of money to upgrade their Interstate rest areas into "self service" info centers with info kiosks. Of course, no of it is working yet though the new restroom are clean with the latest "conveniences" like self-flushing commodes.

There used to be a small vending area outside for snacks and soft drinks, but those have been moved inside. In the latest technological upgrade, the vending machines have been equipped with credit card swipes in case you don't have $2.75 in cash for the vending machine.  There are no water fountains, so I opted to try to get a bottle of water from the vending machine with no success.  Contacting AHTD, I was told the credit card scanners don't work because they can't send a signal through the metal roof.
No one though of this?
Well, OK, it's not totally AHTD's fault since it's an independent vendor who owns the machines. Still, I'm surprised no one considered this.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on July 21, 2017, 09:59:12 AM
...There are no water fountains....

All rest areas should have water fountains. I'm not going to spend $2.75 for a 20oz soda when I can probably exit at a nearby town and get something much cheaper at a Love's or Valero.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

compdude787

Seriously?! The rest areas have NO water fountains? What idiot thought that that was a good idea?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: compdude787 on July 21, 2017, 11:22:55 AM
Seriously?! The rest areas have NO water fountains? What idiot thought that that was a good idea?

The idiot that decided to save the state and its taxpayers thousands of dollars on water fountains used mostly by out-of-state travelers when a bottle of water could be purchased instead.

bjrush

Water fountains cost thousands of dollars? I'm thinking maybe a few hundred. And since water is $2/1000 gallons, I doubt the expense of keeping it running is worth consideration. Neither of those expenses are comparable to a rest area renovation budget with seven figures.

Water fountains should've been included
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on July 21, 2017, 01:14:04 PM
Water fountains cost thousands of dollars? I'm thinking maybe a few hundred. And since water is $2/1000 gallons, I doubt the expense of keeping it running is worth consideration. Neither of those expenses are comparable to a rest area renovation budget with seven figures.

$400+
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on July 21, 2017, 06:55:05 PM
Quote from: bjrush on July 21, 2017, 01:14:04 PM

$400+

And that is for a stripped down version. 

http://www.restroomdirect.com/elkay.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MFR:%20Elkay&utm_term=+elkay%20+water%20+fountains&utm_content=elkay%20water%20fountains

However, that is not an excuse for AHTD to put at least one in each rest area. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.