AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 01:59:56 AM 
Started by Scott5114 - Last post by bugo
The north part of the Indian Nation Turnpike is useful in getting from Tulsa to Dallas and points south. The south part is less useful.

on: Today at 01:55:33 AM 
Started by adventurernumber1 - Last post by adventurernumber1
I just found out tonight that Dolores O'Riordan of the band The Cranberries passed away a few days ago. I am not as familiar with The Cranberries, but I really like the songs of their's that I do know. This is an incredibly tragic loss, and it was very unexpected. She was still very young when she died. I don't think the cause of her death has been released yet, so we have no idea what caused it. May she rest in peace...  :-(

on: Today at 01:54:58 AM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by relaxok

That sure is a good-looking sign.

on: Today at 01:52:14 AM 
Started by theroadwayone - Last post by sparker
Has anyone explored the "events chain" that resulted in the current situation that defines Breezewood?  Were all these businesses who admittedly would be affected by a direct I-70/Turnpike connection around when the exit was simply to provide local access or old PA 26?  Did a national chain such as Perkins decide to locate a restaurant near the original Breezewood exit pre-I-70 construction (I'm going to assume that McDonalds would have been there under any circumstances as is their normal saturation practice!).  In short -- looking around the country at, well, pretty much any other Interstate junction, why would any business elect to locate an outlet in Breezewood given the precedent that Interstate junctions under normative circumstances feature direct (if not always high-speed) connecting ramps that don't require exiting one limited-access facility before entering the next. 

I don't expect any of the parties involved to supply an answer here -- but the choices are (a) corporate management calculated that enough travelers would get on & off the turnpike, along with serving the local area, to make the location profitable (that in itself is something of a stretch) or (b) that same management had foreknowledge of the likelihood that the direct connection would never be made -- the fix was in!  Given the byzantine nature of PA, its agencies, and how they've functioned over the years, I'd give the edge to (b).  The whole situation is akin to the classic "circle jerk" in that the agencies involved (state DOT, turnpike authority, USDOT/BPR/FHWA) all point to each other as the promulgator of the situation.  It would sure be interesting to follow the money trail here through the Shuster clan donor base, the PTC membership over the years when I-70 was being planned and built, and corporate "contributions" to entities held dear by PA politicos -- local, state, and national.  I normally don't speculate on outlandish conspiracy theories -- but there's just too much "gray area" surrounding Breezewood and its decades of status quo defenders that clouds the basic facts of the matter.  The questions that must be asked are: what makes Breezewood unique -- and why?; why does PA stand alone among all states in their approach to the relationship between turnpikes and other intersecting highways?; and precisely who stands to gain the most by retaining the status quo?

on: Today at 01:48:57 AM 
Started by Hurricane Rex - Last post by Hurricane Rex
Portland is now 20 on most roads now. Another effect of the vision zero failure.
http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2018/01/portland_speed_limits_vote_20.html

What's the criteria for failure? Not enough vehicle-related fatalities and injuries on city streets that are teeming with people on foot? You don't need to be going any faster than 20 mph on residential back streets.
Believe it or not, I actually want people to slow down in neighborhoods but the problem is when a speed limit is lowered, most drivers don't change their habits. Also, Portland PD has come out saying they won't do any increased patrols or anything special to enforce the 20 mph limit.

Why vision zero will fail: If your goal was just as close to 0 as possible, that is reasonable. What most plans have done: 0 deaths on the road by 2030 (12 years). With distracted driving, drunk driving also prevalent causes, I don't see any money going to that and people will still do it. We all know a lot of drivers who don't pay attention to the road. This doesn't even include weather related traffic deaths.

The goal is zero preventable deaths related to traffic incidents. This means taking engineering actions to build safer roads for all users (forcing drivers to slow down, clearing sight lines, building bicycle facilities), stepping up much-needed enforcement, training better commercial drivers, and having reasonable transportation options for those who can't drive.

Portland's vision zero website says nothing about predictable that I could see, also it's 2025, not 2030 like I thought. Plus weather-related and distracted driving is predictable.

Vision Zero is the goal to eliminate traffic deaths and serious injuries by 2025.

on: Today at 01:17:24 AM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by roadguy2
The grooves have to be crosswise for it to make the whining sound. I-15 in Salt Lake City has that sound as well. I especially like driving over places where the pavement switches to crosswise-grooved concrete.

Unfortunately, new concrete freeways around here all have lengthwise grooves, so no whining noises. There are a few newer bridges that might have it, but UDOT has started paving over a lot of concrete bridges with blacktop.

on: Today at 01:07:24 AM 
Started by empirestate - Last post by chays
January 19, 2018
Alabama (next up: Alaska)
Courtesy of Alpsroads

on: Today at 01:06:22 AM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by jp the roadgeek
US 202 and several numbers along its route. The 202 corridor is circuitous, and 99% of people wouldn’t use it to get from DE to ME.   First of all, the DE 141 and I-95 concurrencies are totally unnecessary.  From Haverstraw, NY to Westfield, MA, about 80% of it is multiplexed, and from Hillsborough, NH to its northern terminus, it’s about 90% multiplexed.  The piece from Wilmington to Haverstraw should either become a rerouted US 13 (US 301 takes over Morrisville route) or have 301 goe to Haverstraw.  Eliminate the concurrences between Haverstraw and Westfield, and extend state routes over the standalone pieces. Demote the piece from Westfield to Belchertown, create a new state route, and extend MA 21 from Belchertown to Hillsborough (21 is available in NH).  Eliminate concurrent pieces north of there, and with a couple of short state route extensions, you’re pretty much done.

on: Today at 01:04:53 AM 
Started by agentsteel53 - Last post by Brian556
Is Google Maps running slow for you guys? It is painfully slow for me, to the point that its basically non-usable. The problem is not my computer because I just did a clean install of Windows on a new hard drive. I'm using Edge, which is really fast on other websites

on: Today at 01:02:05 AM 
Started by Flint1979 - Last post by Flint1979
Let me explain how this happened this afternoon coming home from Detroit.

It was about the tail end of the afternoon rush hour and I was traveling with the flow of traffic which at this point was about 80 mph on I-75 north of the Great Lakes Crossings area in Auburn Hills. A cop had a car pulled over all the way on the right shoulder blocking some of but not all of the right lane. Traffic in the middle lane and left lane decided they need to slow down to 45 mph passing this cop. I'm thinking to myself what is the reason to slow down, that cop is all the way over to the right not effecting the flow of traffic at all. It just irks me that people feel the need to slam on their brakes just because they see a cop. First of all, if you're speeding and a cop is occupied that cop isn't going to pull you over and 80 mph on I-75 in Michigan is a common speed. Second of all, it's pretty dangerous to suddenly drop 35 mph on the Interstate knowing that the flow of traffic behind you is coming at 75-80 mph.

Another thing that irks me is when people feel the need to slow down going up a hill on the Interstate. I know this isn't an Interstate but I see this happen on the Southfield Freeway in Detroit all the time because that freeway is indeed like riding a roller coaster with all the up and down movements since the freeway is at grade instead of an urban depressed freeway. Michigan has a lot of terrible drivers and I've seen enough of them to last me a lifetime.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.