News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

The Final Environmental Impact Statement for the extension of NC-540 from NC-55 to I-87/I-540 in Knightdale has been signed.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14711

QuoteThe N.C. Turnpike Authority, the N.C. Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration have signed the final environmental impact statement (FEIS) for the project known as Complete 540. This is a key step toward constructing the final section of the Triangle Expressway from the N.C. 55 Bypass in Apex to U.S. 64/U.S. 264 in Knightdale.

Originally, the Turnpike Authority had anticipated having the document signed by the Federal Highway Administration in mid-2018.

"We know how important this project is to the communities involved and we are excited to have reached this major milestone in an accelerated and responsible manner,"  said NCTA executive director Beau Memory. "While this is not the final step, it is a critical point in moving this project to construction."

Next Steps

The FEIS document and updated information will be posted later today on the Complete 540 website.

The public now has the opportunity to review and comment on the document. For comments to be included as part of the public record for the Final EIS comment period, they must be received by February 1, 2018.

In the coming months, NCTA and NCDOT will then hold a set of public meetings to gather additional input on the design plans. This information will be used in the development of a Record of Decision, which is the final document needed to begin construction.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on December 21, 2017, 07:45:17 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 21, 2017, 06:29:43 PM
Quote from: HazMatt on December 20, 2017, 04:16:52 PM
Quote from: LM117 on December 19, 2017, 08:17:46 PM
Looks like some sign changes are coming to Greensboro. The Piedmont Triad International Airport is no more. It will now be known as Central North Carolina International Airport.

http://www.wfmynews2.com/mobile/article/news/local/pti-airport-to-be-renamed-central-north-carolina-international-airport/83-500613962

Quotesnip

Just name is Greensboro, jeez.  If you have to specify that much where you're located, noone wants to go there anyway.

As a Triangle resident, it doesn't matter to me what they call it. But I am surprised. "Piedmont Triad" is a brand name for the metropolitan area and a lot of effort and resources went into establishing that name. Why throw it away for a name that's more vague?

Sheer stupidity and I bet they'll end up regretting it later. The locals seem opposed to the change. There is a thread covering the name change on City-Data forum. Only one poster in that thread so far supports the change. The conversation is worth a read.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/greensboro-winston-salem-high-point/2861932-pti-airport-renamed.html

The proposed name change is dumb. I like PTI Airport better.

froggie

Locals may know it well as PTI/Piedmont Triad/what-have-you, but others out-of-state may not.  Someone from out of state will hear "Piedmont Triad" and likely not have a clue where it is...but hear "Central North Carolina" and they're more likely to at least know where it's generally located.

It's clear to me that it's a marketing plan aimed at attracting those out-of-state dollars.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on December 22, 2017, 11:13:40 AM
The Final Environmental Impact Statement for the extension of NC-540 from NC-55 to I-87/I-540 in Knightdale has been signed.

QuoteThe N.C. Turnpike Authority, the N.C. Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration have signed the final environmental impact statement (FEIS) for the project known as Complete 540. This is a key step toward constructing the final section of the Triangle Expressway from the N.C. 55 Bypass in Apex to U.S. 64/U.S. 264 in Knightdale.

Originally, the Turnpike Authority had anticipated having the document signed by the Federal Highway Administration in mid-2018.

"We know how important this project is to the communities involved and we are excited to have reached this major milestone in an accelerated and responsible manner,"  said NCTA executive director Beau Memory. "While this is not the final step, it is a critical point in moving this project to construction."

Next Steps

The FEIS document and updated information will be posted later today on the Complete 540 website.

The public now has the opportunity to review and comment on the document. For comments to be included as part of the public record for the Final EIS comment period, they must be received by February 1, 2018.

In the coming months, NCTA and NCDOT will then hold a set of public meetings to gather additional input on the design plans. This information will be used in the development of a Record of Decision, which is the final document needed to begin construction.

Since this is a toll-funded project, the early signing of the EIS might accelerate the start of construction by a similar amount. It's too soon to celebrate, but on TV tonight there was talk of public hearings in the spring: that's eight months early, more or less.

index

NC 28 could be closed for months after a recent rock slide.

http://wlos.com/news/local/ncdot-section-of-nc-28-to-close-for-months-after-rockslide

QuoteFONTANA DAM, N.C. (AP) –  More than 2500 dump truck loads of dirt, rocks and debris have fallen on a highway in the North Carolina mountains.

The state Department of Transportation said it will likely be the end of February before engineers can reopen NC-28 in Graham County west of the town of Fontana Dam.

The DOT will spend $1.3 million to remove the debris and stabilize the mountain so another rockslide won't happen.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Henry

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 22, 2017, 06:27:55 PM

“We know how important this project is to the communities involved and we are excited to have reached this major milestone in an accelerated and responsible manner,” said NCTA executive director Beau Memory. “While this is not the final step, it is a critical point in moving this project to construction.”

Next Steps

Since this is a toll-funded project, the early signing of the EIS might accelerate the start of construction by a similar amount. It's too soon to celebrate, but on TV tonight there was talk of public hearings in the spring: that's eight months early, more or less.
While this is certainly welcome news for those who want a complete outer loop around Raleigh, maybe it could revive talks of an eventual I-640/NC 640 application, like it should've happened in the first place. I-185 and I-195 were rejected for I-285 and I-295, respectively, so it's surprising that they got away with the 540s here.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bob7374

Quote from: Henry on December 26, 2017, 09:27:33 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 22, 2017, 06:27:55 PM

“We know how important this project is to the communities involved and we are excited to have reached this major milestone in an accelerated and responsible manner,” said NCTA executive director Beau Memory. “While this is not the final step, it is a critical point in moving this project to construction.”

Next Steps

While this is certainly welcome news for those who want a complete outer loop around Raleigh, maybe it could revive talks of an eventual I-640/NC 640 application, like it should've happened in the first place. I-185 and I-195 were rejected for I-285 and I-295, respectively, so it's surprising that they got away with the 540s here.
I think its too late to change numbers for the Outer Loop, its been 540 for so long that changing it would cause more confusion than anything else. That being said, I advocated for a long time the use of both numbers to help differentiate the free from the toll routes. Designating the free route as I-640, while keeping the NC 540 designation for the Triangle Expressway would provide 2 distinct differences to help drivers tell the routes apart. Looks like just the adding of toll banners to NC 540 signage though will have to be adequate for drivers who can't tell the difference between the routes marked by state or interstate shields.

sparker

Quote from: bob7374 on December 26, 2017, 12:55:28 PM
I think its too late to change numbers for the Outer Loop, its been 540 for so long that changing it would cause more confusion than anything else. That being said, I advocated for a long time the use of both numbers to help differentiate the free from the toll routes. Designating the free route as I-640, while keeping the NC 540 designation for the Triangle Expressway would provide 2 distinct differences to help drivers tell the routes apart. Looks like just the adding of toll banners to NC 540 signage though will have to be adequate for drivers who can't tell the difference between the routes marked by state or interstate shields.

That is one of the better ideas regarding the loop numbering.  However, given NCDOT's spotty (and I'm being generous here!) record regarding assignation of Interstate numbers, it'll be an idea that won't see the light of day. 

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on December 26, 2017, 04:22:16 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 26, 2017, 12:55:28 PM

That is one of the better ideas regarding the loop numbering.  However, given NCDOT's spotty (and I'm being generous here!) record regarding assignation of Interstate numbers, it'll be an idea that won't see the light of day.

There's an assumption by some forum users that NC wants to put interstate shields on every road that could possibly qualify for them, but that is not actually the case. In Raleigh, the public distinguishes between "I-540," which is the beltway on the north, and "Toll 540," which is the developing beltway on the south. IMHO this is a stable situation not likely to change when Toll 540 is completed.

index

A bit late on this, but it hasn't been posted here (At least I think):

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us64improvements/

U.S. 64 in the Albemarle-Pamlico Peninsula is expected to undergo improvements, and the swing bridge across the Alligator River may be replaced. It was deemed structurally deficient and has a posted weight limit. It was closed earlier in December for repairs, which created a lengthy detour. U.S. 64 also may become a four lane divided highway.

Quote from: NCDOTThe N.C. Department of Transportation proposes widening a 27.3-mile segment of U.S. 64 — from Columbia in Tyrrell County to U.S. 264 near Manns Harbor in Dare County — and to replace the Lindsay C. Warren Bridge across the Alligator River in Dare County, which is nearing the end of its service life.

The Lindsay C. Warren Bridge has been deemed structurally deficient, meaning the bridge is still safe to use but has a posted weight limit for vehicles.

As a primary evacuation route for the Outer Banks and northeastern North Carolina, work on this stretch of U.S. 64 would help improve emergency evacuation times.

This article from 2015 explains some of the drawbacks to an expansion of Highway 64.

https://www.coastalreview.org/2015/02/plans-u-s-64-hold/

QuoteIn fact, until about 1½ years ago, residents had fought the initial proposal that had the highway cutting right through their community, taking out 12 homes, churches and historic cemeteries and the 1936 fire tower.

Environmental groups, including the N.C. Coastal Federation, question the need for the project, citing environmental damage to the refuge and overall lack of traffic on the existing two-lane highway. In response, the state said that U.S. 64 is important as a hurricane evacuation route, and that the bridge over Alligator River is overdue for replacement.

Aaand, additionally, here is a PDF I found.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us64improvements/download/PreferredAltMapsTypicalSections.pdf

Counties traveled

wdcrft63

Quote from: index on January 02, 2018, 11:08:06 AM
A bit late on this, but it hasn't been posted here (At least I think):

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us64improvements/

U.S. 64 in the Albemarle-Pamlico Peninsula is expected to undergo improvements, and the swing bridge across the Alligator River may be replaced. It was deemed structurally deficient and has a posted weight limit. It was closed earlier in December for repairs, which created a lengthy detour. U.S. 64 also may become a four lane divided highway.

Quote from: NCDOTThe N.C. Department of Transportation proposes widening a 27.3-mile segment of U.S. 64 — from Columbia in Tyrrell County to U.S. 264 near Manns Harbor in Dare County — and to replace the Lindsay C. Warren Bridge across the Alligator River in Dare County, which is nearing the end of its service life.

The Lindsay C. Warren Bridge has been deemed structurally deficient, meaning the bridge is still safe to use but has a posted weight limit for vehicles.

As a primary evacuation route for the Outer Banks and northeastern North Carolina, work on this stretch of U.S. 64 would help improve emergency evacuation times.

This article from 2015 explains some of the drawbacks to an expansion of Highway 64.

https://www.coastalreview.org/2015/02/plans-u-s-64-hold/

QuoteIn fact, until about 1½ years ago, residents had fought the initial proposal that had the highway cutting right through their community, taking out 12 homes, churches and historic cemeteries and the 1936 fire tower.

Environmental groups, including the N.C. Coastal Federation, question the need for the project, citing environmental damage to the refuge and overall lack of traffic on the existing two-lane highway. In response, the state said that U.S. 64 is important as a hurricane evacuation route, and that the bridge over Alligator River is overdue for replacement.

I'm 50-50 on widening US 64 to four lanes, but without a doubt the bridge needs to be replaced. It turns 68 years old this year.

michealbond

I definitely think it should be widened. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 70 mph interstate level highway, but 64 is traveled pretty heavily in the warmer months. Widening would also assist with hurricane evacuation. The last remaining portion to be widened is roughly 30 miles between Columbia and Manns Harbor. I don't see why you'd leave out the last 30 miles of this road as 2 lanes.

LM117

Quote from: michealbond on January 03, 2018, 12:24:05 PM
I definitely think it should be widened. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 70 mph interstate level highway, but 64 is traveled pretty heavily in the warmer months. Widening would also assist with hurricane evacuation. The last remaining portion to be widened is roughly 30 miles between Columbia and Manns Harbor. I don't see why you'd leave out the last 30 miles of this road as 2 lanes.

I agree that a 4-lane expressway would be ideal due to it being a hurricane evacuation route, but that 2-lane section goes through two national wildlife refuges (Pocosin Lakes and Alligator River). Jumping through those hurdles would be very difficult, IMO. The Army Corps of Engineers will need a lot of convincing.

froggie

Going with a narrow median (except for turn lanes) would minimize the amount of wetland needed, and an aggressive wetland mitigation program (i.e. building/replacing more wetland acreage than what is taken out for the project) will probably mollify the ACoE.

LM117

Two bridges over I-95 in Johnston County are getting replaced.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14727

QuoteCrews will be replacing two bridges over Interstate 95 in Johnston County as part of a $53.1 million contract for improving the freeway.

Contract crews for the N.C. Department of Transportation will close the Bizzell Grove Church Road bridge in Micro on Monday, Jan. 8. Then, on Monday, Jan. 22, they are scheduled to close the Lizzie Mill Road bridge north of Exit 98 in Selma. Both bridges are more than 58 years old and, although they have remained safe, they have become functionally obsolete, which means they no longer meet the needs of today's traffic.

The new bridges, which will open in summer 2019, will be long enough to accommodate plans to widen the interstate to eight lanes, starting in 2026, between mile markers 81 and 71.

When the bridges close, the following detours will be implemented:

For Bizzell Grove Church Road, motorists should use Lowell Mill Road, Micro Road and East Main Street in Micro; and
For Lizzie Mill Road, traffic will take Batten, Campground and Myrtle roads into downtown Selma.
The bridge replacements are part of a contract that NCDOT awarded in November to Fred Smith Co. of Raleigh to resurface I-95 between mile markers 100 and 107. The project includes replacing about 80 sections of concrete below the asphalt surface. The work will continue to require periodic lane closures overnight through next spring.

LM117

The Alligator River bridge on US-64 will be closed for a few days beginning Jan. 10.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14740

QuoteThe North Carolina Department of Transportation is reminding motorists that the Alligator River Bridge between Tyrrell and Dare counties will be closed to all vehicle traffic and boat navigation from 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 10 through Tuesday, Jan. 16.

The closure will allow crews to perform major renovation work on the bridge's swing-span drawbridge. Workers will be repairing and replacing electrical and mechanical components located beneath the swing span.

The work is part of an extensive renovation project designed to extend the life of the 58-year-old bridge. The $16.7 million contract was awarded to Flatiron Constructors of Morrisville, NC back in March 2017.

During the closure, NCDOT will have detour signage and variable message signs in place to guide motorists through the following detour routes:

Motorists traveling east from Columbia should use N.C. 94 South to U.S. 264 East to U.S. 64.

Motorists traveling west from Dare County to Columbia should use U.S. 264 West to N.C. 94 North to U.S. 64.

Motorists traveling to the Outer Banks from areas west of Williamston should use U.S. 17 North to U.S. 158 East.

Motorists traveling from the Outer Banks to points west of Williamston should use U.S. 158 West to U.S. 17 South to U.S. 64 West.

The project will require another week-long closure for the bridge in March 2018. The dates for that closure have not been determined at this time.

Beltway

Quote from: michealbond on January 03, 2018, 12:24:05 PM

If nothing else and they want to restrict the cross-section width as much as possible, they could utilize an urban cross-section with a narrow median and curb-and-gutter.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

D-Dey65

Quote from: LM117 on January 05, 2018, 05:45:05 PM
Two bridges over I-95 in Johnston County are getting replaced.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14727
I take it the low bridges of the Dunn region will be next.

LM117

Access improvement coming to Concord Mills.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14744

QuoteAccess to Concord Mills Mall will soon improve for visitors, thanks to a $10.2 million contract awarded to Blythe Development Co. of Charlotte.

The contract calls for a two-lane flyover bridge to connect from Interstate 85 at Concord Mils Boulevard to Kings Grant Pavilion, the first main entrance to the mall complex. The bridge will replace the existing left turn lanes at the intersection, improving traffic flow on Concord Mills Boulevard.

Work can begin as early as May 1. The roadway portion of the project should be completed by June 15, 2020, with landscaping work ongoing through the end of the year.

This was one of eight road and bridge projects recently awarded by the department. They were worth about $110.6 million, about $20.2 million under engineer estimates.

HazMatt

Quote from: LM117 on January 09, 2018, 10:45:36 AM

Haven't been there in forever, but I have to think that will be a big help with traffic coming from I-85.  Image from WBTV article:

index

Quote from: HazMatt on January 09, 2018, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: LM117 on January 09, 2018, 10:45:36 AM

Haven't been there in forever, but I have to think that will be a big help with traffic coming from I-85.  Image from WBTV article:

Absolutely. I've been to this mall a few times (the last time was years ago though) and pretty much every time, traffic was abysmal. I don't know if we have any of these left turn flyovers that eliminate left turns in NC, this might be a first for us. No idea though.

Counties traveled

LM117

There's a similar setup in the Ballantyne area at Johnston Road/I-485.

https://goo.gl/maps/6uncyXCmwUC2

ARMOURERERIC

I was there about 6 weeks ago.  First time there.  Traffic from 85 NB turning left on Concord Mills Blvd had backed into the 85 NB mainline.  They really need a direct interchange into the parking lot from 85.

index

Quote from: LM117 on January 09, 2018, 05:48:43 PM
There's a similar setup in the Ballantyne area at Johnston Road/I-485.

https://goo.gl/maps/6uncyXCmwUC2

Hmm, I was thinking more like the ones that lead from an arterial to an arterial, both with no controlled or limited access.

Link

Counties traveled

rickmastfan67

I thought they had plans to convert that interchange to a DDI to help out with traffic on race weekends.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.