News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on March 13, 2014, 12:01:02 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 12, 2014, 08:35:19 PM
So now the big brown gantries that Baltimore for I-95 and Chicagoland for I-290 have scrapped are now being added to the Union- Middlesex free section?  I remember seeing the NB Exit 140 bridge replaced a few years back, so I figure something was wrong with the old one then. 

Usually the GSP only replaces signs if in dyer need.  This is something new that they're doing a whole sign replacement over several miles without a road widening.  Wow!

A lot of those signs are in "dire" need. A lot of the old gantries are aluminum, and you can't replace signs on them because they aren't structurally sound enough for that. (I forget the details of why.) The new gantries are intentionally oxidized to fit the "character" of the Parkway by being brown instead of steel. Personally, I agree that a thin steel overhead is nicer than a big brown box, but it's not my decision.

I recall the brown stuff taking over as wood was phased out, because, you know — rust looks like wood, right?

roadman65

Oh do not get me wrong, I like the big brown signs.  In fact I am peeved at MDSHA for nixing them on I-95 in Baltimore as they looked great.  The ones we are talking about are over 30 years old and an constructed when the Parkway was widened in 1980.  It is a shame that further south at Keyport that the NB local lanes gantry is not replaced as it is a stand alone metal gantry. At least those from 129 to 140 had others to offset it.

It is just that the Parkway was always so conservative with its signs and everything, it just is surprising to hear. I am fascinated by Camden now being used for the NJ Turnpike instead of the previous Delaware Memorial Bridge.  I only hope NB they finally add NYC to the NJT panel for Exit 129 as it needs it badly.  BTW the NB gantry there was older than the others as that was erected during the tangle construction of the early 80's. In fact it was so old it was the last of the signs that got I-95 shields on them.  For years it just had NJ Turnpike on them as back in the 1970's the MUTDC was not as fickle as they are today.

Anyway then this sign is a historic figure now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: Alps on March 10, 2014, 06:32:24 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 09, 2014, 10:45:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 06, 2014, 06:38:59 PM
There are no plans I know of for anything at that interchange at the moment, but please enlighten me why you would find that a problem?
Eliminating an interchange and converting it into an at-grade intersection; You mean you don't see that as a problem?

Not if the traffic volumes don't warrant there being an interchange. You can coordinate with the Linwood signal easily.
Speaking of (a different) Linwood, interchanges, and the GSP, why can't we get a single proper interchange on the GSP in Atlantic County that isn't with the Atlantic City Expressway? All the others have at least some limitations on exits, entrances, or both. Exit 36 comes the closest, but:
1. No access to 40/322 from the southbound exit
2. No direct access to 40/322 from the northbound exit (must make a U-Turn from Fire Road)
3. No direct entrance onto Parkway South from 40/322 West
4. Only 563 (Tilton Road) south (not north) is accessible from the southbound exit
5. No direct access to thee Parkway from Tlton Road north (must make U-turn)
6. No direct access to Fire Road north from the southbound exit (must make a U-Turn from Tilton Road)

In summary, not a single road that is served by this interchange can be accessed in both directions from both directions, and the most important one (30/422) has no direct ramps at all except for a westbound to northbound entrance.

Is there really no need for a single proper interchange in Atlantic County?

civilmaher

NJTA isn't addressing all the missing movements that you're mentioning, but they are working on improvements for Interchanges 36, 37, and 38:

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/public-info-center-handout-36-37-38.pdf

Also, Interchanges 41 and 44:

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/Public-Info-Center-handout-41-44-August-2012.pdf

Better than nothin!
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

CrystalWalrein

Since the Cardiff Power Plaza is almost empty at this point (Forman Mills is on the way out after a disappointing stay, and the Pathmark is long gone), I say raze it, completely rebuild Exit 38 into a four-level stack, and combine exits 37 and 36 into a proper interchange using the land from the Plaza. Something like the ON 400-ON 407 interchange in Vaughan.

bzakharin

This is a good start. Though it doesn't address any of my points, it does help my commute in two ways (the 2-lane onramp at exit 38 and the acceleration lane at exit 36). However, does this mean that those entering onto the Parkway South at interchange 38 will not get access to exit 37 or will there be a separate exit from the new onramp?

civilmaher

Quote from: bzakharin on March 14, 2014, 08:10:42 AM
This is a good start. Though it doesn't address any of my points, it does help my commute in two ways (the 2-lane onramp at exit 38 and the acceleration lane at exit 36). However, does this mean that those entering onto the Parkway South at interchange 38 will not get access to exit 37 or will there be a separate exit from the new onramp?

There will be separate ramps from the ACE onramp and GSP SB for Exit 37, as well as an accompanying overpass, to eliminate weaving.
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CrystalWalrein on March 14, 2014, 12:02:07 AM
Since the Cardiff Power Plaza is almost empty at this point (Forman Mills is on the way out after a disappointing stay, and the Pathmark is long gone), I say raze it, completely rebuild Exit 38 into a four-level stack, and combine exits 37 and 36 into a proper interchange using the land from the Plaza. Something like the ON 400-ON 407 interchange in Vaughan.

I would like to see more of a stack or, at minimum, flyover ramps between the GSP and the ACX.

However, just because the shopping center is nearly empty doesn't mean it's available for the taking. I would imagine that property is worth a lot of money...more than either highway authority is willing to spend.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on March 13, 2014, 08:25:09 AM
Oh do not get me wrong, I like the big brown signs.  In fact I am peeved at MDSHA for nixing them on I-95 in Baltimore as they looked great.  The ones we are talking about are over 30 years old and an constructed when the Parkway was widened in 1980.  It is a shame that further south at Keyport that the NB local lanes gantry is not replaced as it is a stand alone metal gantry. At least those from 129 to 140 had others to offset it.

It is just that the Parkway was always so conservative with its signs and everything, it just is surprising to hear. I am fascinated by Camden now being used for the NJ Turnpike instead of the previous Delaware Memorial Bridge.  I only hope NB they finally add NYC to the NJT panel for Exit 129 as it needs it badly.  BTW the NB gantry there was older than the others as that was erected during the tangle construction of the early 80's. In fact it was so old it was the last of the signs that got I-95 shields on them.  For years it just had NJ Turnpike on them as back in the 1970's the MUTDC was not as fickle as they are today.

Anyway then this sign is a historic figure now.

IIRC, these sign bridges were installed in the early 90s when they built the ramp from GSP SB to Rt 1 NB. These used square gantries while the older NJDOT ones were triangular (which you can still see at 131A-B and by 135... for now)

roadman65

That is even a shorter life and surprising for the then NJ Highway Authority as in Cranford when the NEXT RIGHT guide for Exit 138 was replaced on the NB travel lanes back in the mid 80s, it was typical GSP brown rust lock type. 

This project was done rather recent and the NJHA or NJTA did not do it then is kind of unexpected.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Does anyone here know what use this sign may serve?

This is a mockup of what I saw today on US 1 south in Trenton. It was on a cantilever gantry that held an exit sign BGS (can't remember which exit...). Google Maps street view hasn't turned it up yet, making me think it's relatively new. The sign used this dark-red background that's not normally used (it looks like a darker red than the red used for BRS / STOP signs) and was FHWA spec'd with both the fonts and arrows. I'm not sure what 'DRAFTING ZONE' would refer to, or where the arrow was pointing to.

Also, there is a replacement of CR 623 signs in Somerset County (on CR 533). I don't have pictures, but they are horrible. They are non-cutout (white background, RIDOT style), with Arialveticverstesk '623' and that's it. No 'County', and no 'Somerset' where the county name would be. There's a lot of them too, and they are all this ugly. I'm not sure what prompted the sign replacements, but I wish they didn't do such a crap job.

Mockup of what they look like:

(Yes, the 623 is a bright ugly yellow, instead of the standard yellow that blends into the borders)

Sorry for the lack of real photos, but I'm not good at taking pictures while driving, especially when I least expect it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Mr. Matté

The CR 623 signs, aka the Manville Causeway, are probably related to the impending closure of the Causeway for repairs. Are you sure that the RIDOT-like signs are not detour signs? Pretty much all detour signs on county roads are in that style.

EDIT: I found the location of the "Drafting Site" sign on US 1, just south of the Olden Avenue onramp: https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.231856,-74.751856&spn=0.003186,0.013937&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.231858,-74.751857&panoid=V899cmaqpABuwstSVvbucw&cbp=11,251.02,,2,8.37 Based on a quick search, I believe it has to do with a fire fighting technique where a hose connected to the truck collects water from a stream (in this case, the underground Delaware & Raritan Canal).

Zeffy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 16, 2014, 03:41:23 PM
The CR 623 signs, aka the Manville Causeway, are probably related to the impending closure of the Causeway for repairs. Are you sure that the RIDOT-like signs are not detour signs? Pretty much all detour signs on county roads are in that style.

There are no orange construction signs of any type in that area. There are covered up signs on that road as well, but I'm not sure for what they are for. They are around Black Mills Rd / CR 623 and on Amwell Road / CR 514 at the intersection with CR 533 BYP / SPUR (which is it?).

Also,  :thumbsup:  for finding the sign. I knew it was around Olden Avenue, but I was looking for gantries, not luminaries. Oh well. Also, my mockup is wrong because it's site, not zone. Derp.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on March 16, 2014, 11:59:08 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 16, 2014, 03:41:23 PM

There are no orange construction signs of any type in that area. There are covered up signs on that road as well, but I'm not sure for what they are for. They are around Black Mills Rd / CR 623 and on Amwell Road / CR 514 at the intersection with CR 533 BYP / SPUR (which is it?).

Also,  :thumbsup:  for finding the sign. I knew it was around Olden Avenue, but I was looking for gantries, not luminaries. Oh well. Also, my mockup is wrong because it's site, not zone. Derp.
Also, looks like FHWA red to me, not darker.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on March 17, 2014, 06:52:08 PM
Also, looks like FHWA red to me, not darker.

Idk. Maybe because it was the way the light hit the sign or something, but when I physically drove past it, it looked dark red. I will agree that the GMSV shows a normal FHWA red.

CrystalWalrein

At the risk of possibly steering this toward something worthy of the Fictional Highways forum, has New Jersey actually petitioned for US 9 to be moved onto the Garden State Parkway from Shore Road since the Beesley's Point Bridge is being demolished?

jeffandnicole

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2014, 11:58:04 AM
Want to own one of those old Neon signs?  I'm guessing that's what #60 & #61 is on this: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/List_of_surplus_sale_items.pdf

More Info:

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/ADVISORY_sur_REVISED.pdf

Holy shit, I wish I could make it out to Hightstown on my own accord... I wonder how much some of those will go for?

Alps

I wonder how you'd get them out of there. Bring your own pickup truck, hope they'll hoist it on for you?

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on March 26, 2014, 07:02:31 PM
I wonder how you'd get them out of there. Bring your own pickup truck, hope they'll hoist it on for you?

It couldn't be that heavy... could it? In any case, I bet Mr. Matte would love one of those signs.  :sombrero:

Flyer78

I bet those are much heavier "than they look"... The glass neon tubes alone would be hefty...

Pete from Boston

Yes, and make sure your pickup truck has a 19-foot bed.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 26, 2014, 07:46:11 PM

Yes, and make sure your pickup truck has a 19-foot bed.
Some disassembly required.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Zeffy on March 26, 2014, 07:08:22 PM

It couldn't be that heavy... could it? In any case, I bet Mr. Matte would love one of those signs.  :sombrero:

So little want, so much room in the house.

Wait a minute, strike that, reverse it.

bzakharin

I've been wondering about this since I took the written test in NJ. The manual (still, I checked the latest) says that a speed limit of 65 is limited to "Certain interstate highways (as posted)". Does that mean I shouldn't be going 65 on the Atlantic City Expressway or NJ 18 or any other state freeway where 65 is posted? Or does NJ define "interstate highways" differently from everyone else (note that interstate is not capitalized)? The only definition that's consistent with what is actually posted in the field is "any highway that eventually connects to something that allows you to leave the state" at which point they might as well remove "interstate" from that sentence.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.