News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Just one of the more interesting byproducts of my research into county 6XX routes. Some counties post a nice list, and others make you hunt for the information. NJDOT's straight line diagrams for 6XX routes are wildly inaccurate or outdated for most counties.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on December 17, 2013, 08:28:52 PM
Look to the left of 'sample future construction'. There's another table of 'municipal roads'. The two entries for CR 55 fill in the missing distance.
AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

roadman65

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bloomfield,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.826703,-74.17501&spn=0.012372,0.022745&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=7.407541,11.645508&oq=bloomfi&t=h&hnear=Bloomfield,+Essex,+New+Jersey&z=15&layer=c&cbll=40.828669,-74.17643&panoid=MyiVYfaZmQiILqqZYpyqLQ&cbp=12,270,,0,0

I see that the NJTA is using the bridge designs they have been using on the New Jersey Turnpike for years now on the Garden State Parkway.  Interesting to see the NJTA keeping things uniform for both roadways they maintain.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Does NJ 47 now end at the Garden State Parkway in Rio Grande, NJ?  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rio+Grande,+Middle+Township,+NJ&hl=en&ll=39.007517,-74.864991&spn=0.000802,0.001422&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=7.407541,11.645508&oq=rio+grande,+n&t=h&hnear=Rio+Grande,+Middle+Township,+Cape+May,+New+Jersey&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.007517,-74.864991&panoid=sPN1cIcGEvOHfWdi8s54tA&cbp=12,56.63,,0,0

This sign has been this way even back in 96 showing that NJ 47 only goes north from Exit 4 on the GSP.  I do not even think the SB ramp (Exit 4B) is even signed at all, as the Exit 4A diverge is only marked with a ground sign of NJ 47 North and no overheads like you usually find at cloverleafs or two ramps in a row.

Then again this is normal for the GSP as the Toms River cloverleaf interchange for NJ 37 had ground mounted signs exclusively for decades just as to sign Exit 4A before Exit 4B as on SB roads, its supposed to be B before A and the fact most cloverleafs on the GSP are signed as the whole number plus the second (northernmost) exit as an "A" suffix.  For example the AC Expressway as Exits 38-38A or NJ 37 as Exits 82-82A, so you would figure the GSP would sign NJ 47 NB from the SB Lanes as Exit 4A with NJ 47 SB as plain Exit 4 instead of 4B.

Sheryl Crowe

Mr. Matté

To steal from Johnny Carson's old game show, who do you trust? The agency that put up this monstrosity or the agency that maintains the frickin' road?

roadman65

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 30, 2013, 03:47:03 PM
To steal from Johnny Carson's old game show, who do you trust? The agency that put up this monstrosity or the agency that maintains the frickin' road?
I know that part very well of whom to trust, but you never know these days.   If a 3 thousand page healthcare legislation can become law, then I could believe the NJTA deciding where NJ 47 ends. 

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

NJDOT maintains NJ-47 to the south end of the bridge into Wildwood. From there to Atlantic Ave., its county maintained as CR-661 (yes it is signed).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 30, 2013, 03:47:03 PM...The agency that put up this monstrosity or...

Hey, an Interstate 9 Shield! :-D  (Yes, I know...I'm very directly recalling this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9775.0)

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 30, 2013, 08:24:22 PM
NJDOT maintains NJ-47 to the south end of the bridge into Wildwood. From there to Atlantic Ave., its county maintained as CR-661 (yes it is signed).
Yesssss!  I remember my 1987 visit to Wildwood, and got messed up by NJ 47 being signed as CR 661 and not as NJ 47.  Luckily the GSP puts there shields up, so I was able to find it.   

NJ always had a strange way of signing things, which is what got me into roads in the first place.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I have an interesting question about the Truck ban on the EB NJ 3 to EB NJ 495 in North Bergen.  I noticed that both Trucks and JFK Boulevard Traffic are directed via the second ramp to NJ 495 EB instead of the main (left) ramp.

I realize that the JFK traffic exits on the right just after NJ 3 merges into NJ 495 ramp from the left.  Its evident that NJDOT is preventing weaving issues there, but with the Trucks I see nothing along the left ramp that would be a problem for truckers. 

That always was something I noticed over the years that I often wondered about.  I was wondering if someone knows what NJDOT's logic is in this as it seems right if they did let a truck on that particular ramp.

Sheryl Crowe

BrianP

Alps

Quote from: BrianP on January 23, 2014, 10:57:10 AM
South Jersey officials oppose toll road merger
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/south-jersey-officials-oppose-toll-rode-merger/article_460ba8e4-8188-11e3-a3a4-001a4bcf887a.html
And the reasons are entirely invalid. "We want to protect our ability to get South Jerseyans into these positions." NJTA is run very tightly and hires from all regions of the state. They are unquestionably the best stewards for a toll road this state has. How many agencies do we need, really? Every piece of the SJTA could theoretically be handed off to another agency.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

So, I ought to post this here...

MILE MARKERS
A few years ago, a project in several pieces repaved and re-signed I-295 north of Bellmawr. As part of that, several different styles of mile markers appeared. You had blue with a shield inside, and without, green with, and without. Different shapes, sizes, and layouts, sort of a test section as it were. (I would delete "sort of," but I do not know whether any test was actually done with these.) I hadn't seen anything larger than the traditional NJDOT mile markers (MILE over #, and tiny tenth-miles) before that time in this state.

Nor, for that matter, since - until this year. Suddenly, new MUTCD-compliant mile markers with shields inside have gone up on I-80 between I-287 and I-280, along the outside of the local roadways. They're still under construction, but clearly the outsides of them have been completed, and the work is now along the insides. (NJDOT, if you're reading, PLEASE widen the locals to three lanes between the 280/46 merge and 287.) The western few miles of I-280 don't have shields inside, but they are full-size green mile markers with the number on top, decimal on bottom, and a white line between them. (The white line I do not believe to be MUTCD standard, but I haven't checked in awhile / am lazy.)

Are these appearing anywhere else in the state? If NJDOT is reading this, please get an account and let us know if this is the new normal! (And I have SO MANY THINGS I want to talk to you about. Please sign up!)

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on February 03, 2014, 06:54:58 PM
If NJDOT is reading this, please get an account and let us know if this is the new normal! (And I have SO MANY THINGS I want to talk to you about. Please sign up!)

Yes, please. Someone should shoot NJDOT an email and see if they would be interested in joining.

Also, two new intersections in Hillsborough now have what I believe are called protected left-turns (left on green arrow only) - these are the US 206 / CR 514 (Amwell Rd) intersection, and the US 206 / Triangle Rd intersection. I haven't figured out the reasoning for the second one yet.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Those mileposts appeared on 295 around NJ 73 and extended about a mile north, including some of the ramps with 73 & 295. Unless they've been hit and knocked down, they are still there.

akotchi

So, I ought to post this here...

MILE MARKERS
A few years ago, a project in several pieces repaved and re-signed I-295 north of Bellmawr. As part of that, several different styles of mile markers appeared. You had blue with a shield inside, and without, green with, and without. Different shapes, sizes, and layouts, sort of a test section as it were. (I would delete "sort of," but I do not know whether any test was actually done with these.) I hadn't seen anything larger than the traditional NJDOT mile markers (MILE over #, and tiny tenth-miles) before that time in this state.

Nor, for that matter, since - until this year. Suddenly, new MUTCD-compliant mile markers with shields inside have gone up on I-80 between I-287 and I-280, along the outside of the local roadways. They're still under construction, but clearly the outsides of them have been completed, and the work is now along the insides. (NJDOT, if you're reading, PLEASE widen the locals to three lanes between the 280/46 merge and 287.) The western few miles of I-280 don't have shields inside, but they are full-size green mile markers with the number on top, decimal on bottom, and a white line between them. (The white line I do not believe to be MUTCD standard, but I haven't checked in awhile / am lazy.)

Are these appearing anywhere else in the state? If NJDOT is reading this, please get an account and let us know if this is the new normal! (And I have SO MANY THINGS I want to talk to you about. Please sign up!)
Generally between Mile 2 and Mile 1 on I-95 in Mercer County, there are enhanced mile markers (white on green), with the message "South/(95)/Mile/1/-/3," for example.  They are posted every tenth mile on the right side (southbound is all I saw).  Every two tenths, one on the opposite side (i.e. far shoulder of northbound) is visible (back to back, probably).  I only rode the highway southbound lately, so I am not sure whether this is consistent on the other side as well.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

NE2

If NJDOT is reading this, please get an account and let us know if this is the new normal!
And let us know if DOT accounts are the new normal :bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NJRoadfan

US-22 in Hillside at the Liberty Ave. viaduct has one of those new style larger TMMs marking mile 57.5 (same size as the ones on I-295, not quite full MUTCD sized). No shield on it though.

roadman65

I was noticing that at the Manasquan River Bridge on NJ 35 there is a county line sign there which is very unusual for New Jersey.  Usually NJDOT signs county borders as municipal boundaries instead and thought this is interesting to point out.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Brielle,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.102363,-74.052004&spn=0.001793,0.003819&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.494959,15.644531&oq=brie&t=h&hnear=Brielle,+Monmouth,+New+Jersey&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.102843,-74.052349&panoid=NWm92TndQ1Tg5qeAwfAARg&cbp=12,80.39,,0,0.2 
Its even profile style erected where its not seen by the driver.  It can only be seen by observers looking to the side or pedestrians.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

I've seen town line signs which are similar to those in Vermont, but without the arrows.

roadman65

The Holland and Lincoln Tunnels mark the state line in this matter.  Also the NJ Turnpike and PA Turnpike Delaware River Bridge also marks New Jersey and Pennsylvania the same, but like in Vermont without the arrows.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Quote from: roadman65 on February 16, 2014, 01:51:32 PM
I was noticing that at the Manasquan River Bridge on NJ 35 there is a county line sign there which is very unusual for New Jersey.  Usually NJDOT signs county borders as municipal boundaries instead and thought this is interesting to point out.

They have been doing it for years, but the signs aren't all that common.
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/us_22/suc.jpg
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/nj_47/ncg.jpg

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 17, 2014, 02:18:46 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 16, 2014, 01:51:32 PM

They have been doing it for years, but the signs aren't all that common.
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/us_22/suc.jpg
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/nj_47/ncg.jpg

I remember vaguely those types of signs when I was younger.  I do, very vividly remember the one for Union and Somerset that Steve has for US 22 as those were on the Blue Brook bridge near the infamous Blue Star Shopping Center.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.