News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest distance between county seats of adjoining counties?

Started by hbelkins, October 20, 2013, 03:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 21, 2013, 12:36:20 AM
I think intra-SD's longest is Sturgis to Bison at 124 miles, and intra-WY is Buffalo to Douglas.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I see your Buffalo to Douglas (161)  and raise you a Jackson to Cody (177)

Bigmikelakers

Quote from: JustDrive on October 21, 2013, 05:17:33 PM
I imagine Riverside, CA to Yuma also being up there.

Riverside County used to border Yuma County until 1983 when Northern Yuma County became La Paz County. The distance between Riverside and Parker (La Paz County Seat) is about 210 miles.

SD Mapman

Quote from: corco on October 21, 2013, 09:28:05 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on October 21, 2013, 12:36:20 AM
I think intra-SD's longest is Sturgis to Bison at 124 miles, and intra-WY is Buffalo to Douglas.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I see your Buffalo to Douglas (161)  and raise you a Jackson to Cody (177)
Blasted mountains! Going out of state, Cody to Bozeman is 206 miles.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: pianocello on October 20, 2013, 03:50:47 PM
San Bernardino to Las Vegas is 220 miles via I-15 and I-215.

San Bernardino to Kingman (Mohave County) is 275 miles.

oscar

For an extreme example in Canada, in the Northwest Territories the seats of the adjacent Inuvik and Sahtu regions (Inuvik and Norman Wells respectively) are about 280 miles apart as the crow flies, but the driving distance is over 1950 miles.  That trip requires going through the Yukon and northern British Columbia, before reentering NWT in the Dehcho region and then north into Sahtu.  The drive can currently be done only in the winter, since there's only a winter road between Wrigley and Norman Wells (there's not even a winter road between Norman Wells and Inuvik).  However, the first phases of the Mackenzie Highway extension will convert that road into an all-season highway, making the 1950+ mile drive possible in all seasons (except when four ferry/ice bridge crossings are closed around the beginning and end of winter).  A later phase of the extension will provide a direct road link between Norman Wells and Inuvik.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CentralCAroadgeek

The county seat of Monterey County (here in Salinas) is 126 miles to the county seat of San Luis Obispo County (in SLO), according to Google Maps.

jp the roadgeek

Presque Isle (Aroostock) and Skowhegan (Somerset) Maine are about 212 miles apart.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JMoses24

By comparison, mine seems rather tame...

Brooksville, KY in Bracken County to Georgetown, OH in Brown County: http://goo.gl/maps/wFlJQ

I used the County Clerk office for each under the presumption it'd be in or near the center of the city. So, I come out with 37.2 miles, or 38 miles if one follows a few county roads in Brown County. The catch: The goog doesn't allow you to take the Augusta, KY ferry close to the midpoint of the trip. I tried, but google forced me east along KY 8 to cross closer to Maysville.

NWI_Irish96

Longest I could get within Indiana was 45 miles between Brazil and Sullivan.  If we want to go the other way, the shortest is 6 miles between Jeffersonville and New Albany.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Chris737

Found a few longer than those that involve San Bernardino County:

St John's (Apache), AZ, to Monticello (San Juan), UT:  275 mi

Grangeville (Idaho), ID, to Salmon (Lemhi), ID: 287 mi

Panguitch (Garfield), UT, to Monticello (San Juan), UT:  300 mi

Kingman (Mohave), AZ, to Kanab (Kane), UT:  302 mi

Reno (Washoe), NV, to Burns (Harney), OR: 364 mi

tdindy88

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 12, 2013, 08:21:53 AM
Longest I could get within Indiana was 45 miles between Brazil and Sullivan.  If we want to go the other way, the shortest is 6 miles between Jeffersonville and New Albany.

There's at least one longer, Kentland to Crown Point: 51 miles. Concerning shortest distances I suppose Jeffersonville to Louisville is the shortest distance (when it's between an Indiana county and an adjacent out-of-state county.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.