News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on December 26, 2018, 08:22:11 PM
The reflective sheeting stays effective for a lot longer than you say. We have BGS's here on Long Island that are twenty-plus years old and still working well.
Yeah, but the ones in PA peel after 1 season.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on December 26, 2018, 10:35:34 PM
The reflective sheeting stays effective for a lot longer than you say. We have BGS's here on Long Island that are twenty-plus years old and still working well.
Same quality as the rest of the roadway.

ipeters61

Quote from: famartin on December 26, 2018, 10:50:09 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 26, 2018, 10:35:34 PM
Same quality as the rest of the roadway.
I remember these ones as a kid: https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/pa/i-84/wend.jpg
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

SignBridge

Well ipeters61, that's about par for a state that uses the wrong arrows or mounts the arrows upside down. From all these posts I'm seeing, I'll have to guess that New York DOT uses better quality sheeting than PennDOT or Oklahoma DOT

odditude

as of today, NJTA has yet to add the I-95 shields to the entrance from US 130 in Florence (6A) as shown here.

famartin

Quote from: odditude on December 27, 2018, 08:33:59 PM
as of today, NJTA has yet to add the I-95 shields to the entrance from US 130 in Florence (6A) as shown here.
At this point I'm going to guess the NJTA just forgot about all the places where the 95 shields are needed... or don't feel like spending the money for it.

DrSmith

Interestingly, when I went to get on the NJTP at Exit 3 to head back to Mass last evening, there were some detour signs on the Black Horse Pike near the Turnpike entrance. These signs had both I-95 and NJTP signs on them.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on December 27, 2018, 08:50:32 PM
At this point I'm going to guess the NJTA just forgot about all the places where the 95 shields are needed... or don't feel like spending the money for it.
Plus the panel on the left now has a misaligned NJ Turnpike shield as well as the misaligned I-276 shield on the right.

Hey at least NJ is acknowledging the PA interstate which was not done in the past except for a ground mount on the Turnpike mainline before the 6 to 9 widening.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadsguy

Quote from: roadman65 on December 29, 2018, 10:00:52 PM
Plus the panel on the left now has a misaligned NJ Turnpike shield as well as the misaligned I-276 shield on the right.

Hey at least NJ is acknowledging the PA interstate which was not done in the past except for a ground mount on the Turnpike mainline before the 6 to 9 widening.

Though they should have left the "To" for I-276 out from the blank overlay to not cause confusion about the PA Extension being I-276. I've been content just saying that the extension was "signed as I-276" even though I don't think that's what the NJTA was going for. Google agreed for a while, though the I-276 shields disappeared about a month or two before the flyovers opened.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 29, 2018, 10:54:08 PM

Though they should have left the "To" for I-276 out from the blank overlay to not cause confusion about the PA Extension being I-276. I've been content just saying that the extension was "signed as I-276" even though I don't think that's what the NJTA was going for. Google agreed for a while, though the I-276 shields disappeared about a month or two before the flyovers opened.

Google isn't an official source of anything. Basically, anyone can change whatever they want to what they feel is right.

qguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2018, 11:17:37 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on December 29, 2018, 10:54:08 PM

Google isn't an official source of anything. Basically, anyone can change whatever they want to what they feel is right.

Trust me, Roadsguy knows that.

Roadwarriors79

famartin

akotchi

Quote from: famartin on December 30, 2018, 08:32:10 PM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on December 30, 2018, 08:21:55 PM
Sorry if this has been answered before, but is this entrance sign a NJDOT installation or a NJTA installation?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1024638,-74.7927429,3a,75y,54.86h,80.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBNzfxkFYw8EZuEppJisiZA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
99% sure that that is NJDOT.
It is 100% NJDOT  :).  It was installed under the same contract that changed the signs along former I-95 around Trenton.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 15, 2018, 01:42:10 PM
Quote from: akotchi on October 15, 2018, 01:16:12 PMCurious as to whether the first reassurance marker WB/SB in Pennsylvania (just past the AET gantry) has since been corrected.  Last I saw, the incorrect "North" beneath the marker was taped over.  Too expensive to keep checking . . .
So that's what was taped over.  As of last night (Oct. 14), it's still there.
Update: when I last drove that stretch this past Dec. 27, a correct SOUTH banner replaced the taped-over/erroneous NORTH banner.

Other than that, I noticed no other sign-changes/updates along the NJTP south of Exit 9 during my post-Christmas trip.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2019, 03:53:53 PM
Quote from: akotchi on October 15, 2018, 01:16:12 PMCurious as to whether the first reassurance marker WB/SB in Pennsylvania (just past the AET gantry) has since been corrected.  Last I saw, the incorrect "North" beneath the marker was taped over.  Too expensive to keep checking . . .
Update: when I last drove that stretch this past Dec. 27, a correct SOUTH banner replaced the taped-over/erroneous NORTH banner.

Other than that, I noticed no other sign-changes/updates along the NJTP south of Exit 9 during my post-Christmas trip.

Is the new banner still below the shield or did they shift the shield down and put the banner on top?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 10, 2019, 04:33:32 PM

Is the new banner still below the shield or did they shift the shield down and put the banner on top?
Part of me wants to say that the new banner is still below the shield but I'm not 100% certain on that.  I just noticed the SOUTH letters instead of the tape-over.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2019, 04:37:51 PM

Part of me wants to say that the new banner is still below the shield but I'm not 100% certain on that.  I just noticed the SOUTH letters instead of the tape-over.
I passed it going the other way recently on the way to a meeting -- the cardinal direction is above the shield.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on January 10, 2019, 10:37:21 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2019, 04:37:51 PM

I passed it going the other way recently on the way to a meeting -- the cardinal direction is above the shield.
Good to know.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadwarriors79

At least one more I-95 shield is up on the NJ Turnpike. This on the EB (NB) Pearl Harbor Extension, just before Exit 6A. At 8:06 of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMbO9G_bz3c

famartin

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on February 03, 2019, 01:22:18 PM
At least one more I-95 shield is up on the NJ Turnpike. This on the EB (NB) Pearl Harbor Extension, just before Exit 6A. At 8:06 of this video.

My memory is getting foggier now but I'd swear that was there for a while (ie since near the time of completion)

akotchi

The westbound one at Exit 6A has been up for awhile, but this one has been changed relatively recently.  Are there any on the U.S. 130 ramps yet?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on February 03, 2019, 01:49:56 PM

My memory is getting foggier now but I’d swear that was there for a while (ie since near the time of completion)

GSV dated June 2018: It's not there yet. https://goo.gl/maps/4gqteAqgZ9B2

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 04, 2019, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: famartin on February 03, 2019, 01:49:56 PM

My memory is getting foggier now but I'd swear that was there for a while (ie since near the time of completion)

GSV dated June 2018: It's not there yet. https://goo.gl/maps/4gqteAqgZ9B2
Needless to say but that GSV predated the opening of the ramps.  When I drove through there last December; the I-95 shield was still not on that pull-through.

Personally I would've arranged that BGS a tad differently and sized/spaced it to allow for a NORTH cardinal to be placed above the I-95 shield.  Something like:

NORTH
      95    NJTP
      Camden
     New York
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 04, 2019, 10:24:05 AM
Personally I would've arranged that BGS a tad differently and sized/spaced it to allow for a NORTH cardinal to be placed above the I-95 shield.  Something like:

NORTH
      95    NJTP
      Camden
     New York

It's a bit muddled. It seems to be functioning as a pull-thru, not advance exit signage (Turnpike South seems to be treated as an exit now). It doesn't help that the PA extension doesn't have its own identity, and gets signed as "NJTP" on entrances just like the mainline. Had that not been the case, "NORTH 95 TO NJTP" (similar to the Westbound/Southbound sign minus the NJTP shield) would be the most appropriate here. As it is, it would have to be "NORTH I-95/NJTP TO SOUTH NJTP" or "SOUTH NJTP Camden 5 miles", though a five mile advance sign may be too early.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.