News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Duplexes where both highway numbers are Fibonacci numbers

Started by bugo, November 13, 2014, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

US 1/US 2
US 2/US 3
US 1/US 13
US 2/US 89
(I think this is it for US routes)

US 377/OK 1 (has 377 been rerouted onto the Ada bypass?)
US 377/OK 3
OK 1/OK 2

I'm sure there are plenty more. I couldn't find any examples where both highways were interstates, but there have to be a bunch of US route/state route or interstate/state route. There are also examples of highways with 2 numbers in the Fibonacci sequence that meet but don't duplex. Are there any stretches of highway with 3 Fibonacci numbers?

hotdogPi

MA 2 / US 3
US 2 / ME 5
NY 5 / NY 13

Unfortunately, I-89 does not multiplex with US 2, even though it parallels it for a while.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

okc1

377 & OK 1 are concurrent in ADA from the JCT of Arlington & Mississippi to the bypass.  377 has not been rerouted
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

formulanone

US 1 / FL 5, although the latter is the "secret" SR number for most of its length.

CNGL-Leudimin

Any route numbered 1 is the overlap of two Fibonacci numbers :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

You have to add the previous number of the system to get to your next number.  One plus Zero is one, which is why there is two number ones, then the second one to the first one added gives you two, then add two the previous number one, which gives you three, and then add the three to the two to get your next number of five and so on and so on.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

Now this is cool:

The number of syllables in each phrase in the verses correspond to a number in the Fibonacci sequence:

1 "Black"
1 "and"
2 "white are"
3 "all I see"
5 "in my infancy"
8 "red and yellow then came to me"
5 "reaching out to me"
3 "lets me see"

The song references spirals and recommends the listener to "spiral out" (experience new things, learn new things, etc.) The Fibonacci sequence looks like a spiral when mapped out.

This one is a little more blatant:

DandyDan

Only one I can find in Nebraska is US 34 and NE 2 in and near Grand Island.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on November 13, 2014, 02:24:50 PM
US 377/OK 1 (has 377 been rerouted onto the Ada bypass?)

Depends on what you mean by "Ada bypass". If you mean the Richardson Loop that OK-3 and OK-1 follow around the south and west sides of town, no; US-377 (and OK-99 of course) still leaves the freeway and proceeds north to Lonnie Abbott Boulevard and follows it west until it meets up with the freeway again. North of Lonnie Abbott US-377 follows the expressway that was built in the mid-2000s and bypasses Byng.

The Richardson Loop is the only good thing about Ada since it allows you to avoid experiencing the sad, sad little town that is Ada.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WNYroadgeek

NY 5 and NY 21 in Canandaigua.
NY 13 and NY 34 in Ithaca.

kurumi

In a pinch, adjacent Fibonacci numbers are an approximate conversion between miles and km (within 1% for higher numbers). If your number isn't in the sequence, you can always fall back to (1 + sqrt(5))/2 :)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Darkchylde

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.