News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Rest areas that are not associated with freeways

Started by Laura, November 25, 2014, 09:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

The Nebraska highway map shows one on US 6/34 east of McCook.  There's also the Corps of Discovery Welcome Center on US 81 going south from Yankton, SD and the Lewis and Clark Center on N-2 at Nebraska City.  I'm not sure either of those are true rest areas, though and I thought the one at Nebraska City closed after a certain time each day.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

doorknob60

Quote from: BloonsTDFan360 on November 25, 2014, 07:52:02 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on November 25, 2014, 07:48:18 PM
US-26 also has one at Government Camp.

There is one on US 26 just several miles east of the junction with OR 103.

You beat me to it! I literally drove by that one last night, was gonna come here and add it to my list.

To add another one though, there's one on US-26 just east of Mt. Vernon (near John Day). I don't remember if this one is signed as a Rest Area (it's an Oregon State Park), but if not, it might as well be: it looks the same as any other rest area.

Oh, and here's a pretty definitive list for Oregon: http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RAentry.asp Not all of these are signed as rest areas, so this list could actually be useful to look at while you're driving (well, let the passenger do that), to find a place to stop that may not be signed as a rest area.

bugo

There's a rest area on US 71 at the southern end of AR 23 north of Waldron. There's also one on US 70 east of Glenwood.

Duke87

Quote from: briantroutman on November 25, 2014, 07:10:05 PM
I don't think that Pennsylvania has any full rest areas off of freeways–at least not anymore. Lesser highways across the state are peppered with occasional wayside parking lots featuring picnic tables but no bathrooms, vending machines, or tourist information–"NO COMFORT FACILITIES"  in PennDOT parlance.

Pennsylvania still has a bunch of rest areas in the northern woods part of the state. There are several along US 6, I've used one myself along PA 120. The bathrooms at these rest areas are just portapotties, though. They lack running water and they close during the winter. I'm not sure that PennDOT is responsible for these, though.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteUS 13 has two at the VA- MD border in each respected state.  Both are Information/ Welcome Centers for the state that each enters, but accessible from both N and S on US 13.

It should be noted that only the Virginia one has direct access from both directions of US 13.  The Maryland center is along northbound US 13...if you're southbound, it requires U-turns at nearby intersections in order to access it.

kkt

US 199 in California has the Collier Tunnel Rest Area, at the southern portal of the tunnel.  It's a particularly pretty rest area and worth a stop if you're going along 199.

US 97 in California has Grass Lake Rest Area, that has nice scenery and good birding.

NE2

Quote from: kkt on December 10, 2014, 07:26:15 PM
US 97 in California has Grass Lake Rest Area, that has nice scenery and good birding.
Good place to stop once you're out of Weed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rarnold

US 54 in Kansas has two rest areas east of Liberal. The first is 12 miles east, near Samson on the Cimarron. The other is 66 miles from Liberal, just east of unincorporated Bloom, which is between Minneola and Bucklin.

US 12 in Idaho also has two rest areas, at Lenore, which is 28 miles east of Lewiston, and at the top of Lolo Pass. There are also a few vault toilet facilities along that highway between Kooskia and Lolo Pass.

TheHighwayMan3561

There are four on the 150-mile stretch of MN 61: Grand Portage, Cutface Creek, Tettegouche State Park, Gooseberry Falls State Park. I believe Cutface Creek is only seasonal though; it was closed when I left Grand Marais after a three-week vacation in October.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.