News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rest Area Parking

Started by Mergingtraffic, December 03, 2014, 12:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

CT is redoing their rest areas and one of the features is more parking. 
However, I just don't see an increase really.....because looking at the map of this recently redone rest area on I-95 NB in Darien....while there are a lot of spots, a lot of them are "specialty" spots such as "compact car parking" or "parking for car charging only" or some other provision. 

Plus trucks have to back in!?!?  There seems to be wasted space also. I think there could be more spots north of the gas pumps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Darien,+CT/@41.0804931,-73.4610878,356m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c2a01a5aba0461:0x800ae17fc1dae309
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

WashuOtaku

Could always do a parking deck.  Also good reconfigure the area by eliminating the front area into parking and incorporate the adjacent gravel lot.  At the extreme end, fill the lake.

Pete from Boston

Fortunately my truck is specially equipped to convert any of those arbitrary specialty spaces into gas-powered-truck spaces with very little trouble.

roadman

So Pete is the guy in the aerial photo who parked in the space clearly marked BUS
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

Quote from: doofy103 on December 03, 2014, 12:05:17 PM
Plus trucks have to back in!?!?
Conventional wisdom in government is that everyone is perfect at backing up and that therefore everyone should back in rather than out to eliminate the threat of not seeing a car coming down the lane (never mind that some people suck at backing up); it's even NYSDOT's regulation when using an official vehicle.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brian556

Truck drivers always back in. It's standard practice for them. Backing is a required skill for truck driving.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on December 03, 2014, 01:13:21 PM
So Pete is the guy in the aerial photo who parked in the space clearly marked BUS

I have indeed done that, but only at the small bathrooms-only rest areas where there are whole unused lots of bus parking.  I'm talking about constantly empty Tesla spaces in the front of a rest area was parking lot is jammed. I'm just not buying into that.  The spaces are clearly a private agreement between the private management company running the rest area and the private Tesla company.  If they can find the time to have me towed while I'm in there, I applaud their diligence.  Until then, I call bullshit.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 03, 2014, 02:31:13 PM

I have indeed done that, but only at the small bathrooms-only rest areas where there are whole unused lots of bus parking.  I'm talking about constantly empty Tesla spaces in the front of a rest area was parking lot is jammed. I'm just not buying into that.  The spaces are clearly a private agreement between the private management company running the rest area and the private Tesla company.  If they can find the time to have me towed while I'm in there, I applaud their diligence.  Until then, I call bullshit.
My comment was meant as a joke, but I understand your sentiment.  Especially given that there are probably no more than four or five Tesla owners in the country (of the approximately fifteen total) who would even think of traveling over 20 miles in their vehicles, let alone getting onto an Interstate with them.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

I got it, and I'm just confessing, sometimes it's me.

1995hoo

I view that as similar to when a store puts up a sign designating a space as for expectant mothers or for shoppers with small children. I'll usually respect the sign if there are other empty spaces reasonably close by or if the weather isn't bad, but in Virginia those sorts of signs do not have any legal force and I will go ahead and park in those spaces if the alternative is to park way the heck out at the far end or if it's raining.

I never, ever, park in a handicapped space, though, even just to pick someone up, unless my father is riding with me and he has his placard with him.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 03, 2014, 04:33:03 PM
I never, ever, park in a handicapped space, though, even just to pick someone up, unless my father is riding with me and he has his placard with him.

Of course not, the city or state can fine you if caught; it's the only sign you should adhere too.  The expecting mothers, U.S. solider, Employee of the Month and Security Police spaces are fair game.

roadman

I view that as similar to when a store puts up a sign designating a space as for expectant mothers or for shoppers with small children. I'll usually respect the sign if there are other empty spaces reasonably close by or if the weather isn't bad, but in Virginia those sorts of signs do not have any legal force and I will go ahead and park in those spaces if the alternative is to park way the heck out at the far end or if it's raining.

Many stores in Massachusetts have similar signs - they have no legal force under state or local laws.

QuoteI never, ever, park in a handicapped space, though, even just to pick someone up, unless my father is riding with me and he has his placard with him.

I consider parking in a handicap space when you don't have a disability that qualifies you for a plate or plaque to be one of the lowest things a driver can do.  Most parking enforcement tactics around here remind me of Barney Fife, but aggressively ticketing and towing cars that are illegally in handicap spaces is an enforcement measure I support 100%.

Pete from Boston

I want to clarify that I am not an amoral person, which is why I expressed disregard for such "arbitrary" designations, meaning NOT handicapped spaces.

The Home Depot near me recently designated six spaces as "online order pickup" spaces.  I go to Home Depot a lot.  They're kidding themselves about the need for these spaces.  Fortunately they're always empty and right by the entrance.

Closer to the topic, when the Darien Whole Foods opened right off a Connecticut Turnpike ramp, I started using it like a rest area (clean bathrooms, good coffee, free samples).  Their best spaces are reserved for "fuel efficient vehicles." I appreciate this, because very rarely else do I get recognition when I squeeze over 19 mpg out of my truck, which is quite an accomplishment.  Thanks, Whole Foods!

seicer

I do that too, but with my 28 MPG Subaru Outback. For its class and AWD capability, it's the most fuel efficient. I would probably get towed, but it's Whole Foods, and it's a Subaru.

mtantillo

I'm always amused when I see a Hummer parked in the "fuel efficient vehicle" spots.

realjd

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 03, 2014, 05:48:21 PM

Of course not, the city or state can fine you if caught; it's the only sign you should adhere too.  The expecting mothers, U.S. solider, Employee of the Month and Security Police spaces are fair game.

You may not get a fine for parking in non-handicapped designated parking but it is fair game to tow your ass. Don't be a douche and park in spaces that aren't for you.

Duke87

If it's a private lot the owner can impose whatever parking restrictions they want and has every right to tow anyone who fails to comply at their expense. But in the case of "online order pickup" or such they likely would not since it would get them bad press and cost them business.

Public parking lots, on the other hand...

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

spooky

One of the local supermarket chains does the expectant mother space with a sign attached to a concrete base, but not anchored in the pavement. I once watched someone park in the space, get out of their car, and with much effort move the sign to the next space over. I lol'ed.

formulanone

Most of the "expectant mother" signs also mention "newborns". I've parked there once, when my daughter and son (a 4-month-old) went along with me to run errands. Nobody threatened to remove or tow my car, but I think it's entirely fair to not to discriminate.

I've parked in a handicap space once, but only because there was no other parking spaces in a tiny lot, and two blue spots remained. I was back in my car within five minutes.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Brian556 on December 03, 2014, 01:54:36 PM
Truck drivers always back in. It's standard practice for them. Backing is a required skill for truck driving.

It may be a required skill, but at a rest area it is stupid. you will have trucks waiting in line to back in while someone else is backing in, and what if you are there just to take a rest stop? you spend 10 minutes waiting for a spot...just to do your business.

I perfer pull through parking, where you don't have to wait for someone to get their truck in or out of a space, and you just pull forward to depart, allowing for a more natural flow.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mtantillo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 15, 2014, 09:32:11 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on December 03, 2014, 01:54:36 PM

It may be a required skill, but at a rest area it is stupid. you will have trucks waiting in line to back in while someone else is backing in, and what if you are there just to take a rest stop? you spend 10 minutes waiting for a spot...just to do your business.

I perfer pull through parking, where you don't have to wait for someone to get their truck in or out of a space, and you just pull forward to depart, allowing for a more natural flow.

Trucks generally do not use rest areas the same way car drivers do...in and out. Trucks are generally resting for their DOT mandated break, and will be there for quite a while.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on December 03, 2014, 01:26:16 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on December 03, 2014, 12:05:17 PM
Plus trucks have to back in!?!?
Conventional wisdom in government is that everyone is perfect at backing up and that therefore everyone should back in rather than out to eliminate the threat of not seeing a car coming down the lane (never mind that some people suck at backing up); it's even NYSDOT's regulation when using an official vehicle.

Virginia DOT staff are supposed to back all state vehicles into parking spaces as well.

Not sure about Maryland DOT.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.