News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstates Barely Part of a State's System

Started by OCGuy81, December 05, 2014, 10:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashuOtaku

jwolfer

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 05, 2014, 11:51:23 AM
84 in Mass
93 in Vermont
95 in New Hampshire
95 in Delaware
68 in West Virginia (31.5 miles—I cheated)
True the milage is short on each of these. But Delaware is well served by I-95. Delaware is tiny

jwolfer

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 05, 2014, 11:41:16 AM
QuoteAm I the only one who finds this idea for renaming US41 (but only a select portion of it) I-41 preposterous? Are they planning to do the same thing with US31 in Indiana?

Yeah, it's a bit unnecessary, IMO.  Kind of similar to I-39 being routed north, when US-51 was doing the job just fine. 

Not all freeways need a blue shield on em.
I have had the thought that a freeway us highway should be a blue shield like the classic FL US 90 shield. It would let the driver know its a freeway, but it would probably be only those of us on here that would know what the blue shield means

jwolfer

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 05, 2014, 08:24:08 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on December 05, 2014, 10:57:13 AM
I-95 in DC

Red flag on the field, DC isn't a state.
It is not a state true but for this question it functions as a quasi- state. A city-state if you will.  We could get all technical and exclude MA,PA,VA &KY since they are officially commonwealths

NE2

Quote from: jwolfer on December 05, 2014, 08:38:30 PM
It is not a state true but for this question it functions as a quasi- state. A city-state if you will.  We could get all technical and exclude MA,PA,VA &KY since they are officially commonwealths
No, they're commonwealths that are states. Your attempt to out-anal the anal fails.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on December 05, 2014, 09:15:22 PM
No, they're commonwealths that are states. Your attempt to out-anal the anal fails.
They are admitted as states unlike Puerto Rico which is a commonwealth but not admitted as a state. I wonder why they don't call PR an associated free state a direct translation from the Spanish.  DC was given by MD ( and VA) and VA got their part back, will MD ever want theirs back

1995hoo

It's the opposite–they are states that call themselves commonwealths. The term has no legal significance in their case, whereas in the cases of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands it does.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 05, 2014, 10:09:14 PM

It's the opposite–they are states that call themselves commonwealths. The term has no legal significance in their case, whereas in the cases of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands it does.
For PR. Estado libre associado is the official term

Zzonkmiles

Ummmm... I-73 everywhere? ;)

And did anyone mention I-59 in Georgia?

How about I-76 in Nebraska?

Several 3dis that serve border towns would probably qualify for this as well, though that probably goes against the spirit of this thread.

Here are two near misses:  ALMOST I-44 in Kansas and ALMOST I-65 in Florida.

SteveG1988

I-95 does run through the City-State of DC, but DC does not maintain any section of it, it is VA/MD maintained. SO therefore it is a MD/VA interstate there, not a DC interstate.

I-78 in NY if you consider it entering the city or not.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

NE2

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 05, 2014, 11:04:23 PM
I-95 does run through the City-State of DC, but DC does not maintain any section of it, it is VA/MD maintained. SO therefore it is a MD/VA interstate there, not a DC interstate.

Uh dude, I-78 in NY is maintained by PANYNJ. So by your rules it doesn't enter NY.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on December 05, 2014, 10:33:21 PM
Here are two near misses:  ALMOST I-44 in Kansas and ALMOST I-65 in Florida.

Almost I-84 in New Jersey too. Just barely misses the border... That would probably amount to less than a mile in New Jersey if it actually crossed it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SteveG1988

Quote from: NE2 on December 05, 2014, 11:34:24 PM

Uh dude, I-78 in NY is maintained by PANYNJ. So by your rules it doesn't enter NY.

Well, I would count I-95 in DC if DC also pitched in to maintain it. as I-78 uses a Bi-State agency funded tunnel, it counts since NY and NJ both take claim on the tunnel, DC doesn't claim that section of the bridge.

Additional...

According to Wikipedia, and it is referencing Scot Kozel's website when it says this for the source:

" The District of Columbia, a jurisdiction that once had ownership rights to the 1961 Wilson Bridge span, relinquished future ownership rights and responsibility for the new bridge. Additionally, the District granted a permanent easement to Maryland and Virginia for the portion of the bridge located within its boundaries."

Basically, DC doesn't want the bridge to be theirs any more.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Woodrow_Wilson_Bridge.html
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Buck87

rarnold

I-82 in Oregon
I-59 in Louisiana
I-26 in Tennessee
I-75 in West Virginia and Maryland
I-90 in Pennsylvania

kkt

Quote from: jwolfer on December 05, 2014, 08:35:05 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 05, 2014, 11:41:16 AM
QuoteAm I the only one who finds this idea for renaming US41 (but only a select portion of it) I-41 preposterous? Are they planning to do the same thing with US31 in Indiana?
Yeah, it's a bit unnecessary, IMO.  Kind of similar to I-39 being routed north, when US-51 was doing the job just fine. 

Not all freeways need a blue shield on em.
I have had the thought that a freeway us highway should be a blue shield like the classic FL US 90 shield. It would let the driver know its a freeway, but it would probably be only those of us on here that would know what the blue shield means

Are different shield colors needed?  Practically all road maps show freeways with a different color and/or weight of line than nonfreeways.

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

yanksfan6129

empirestate

It does, every bit as much as I-95 runs through DC. And yes, similarly to DC, it's maintained by something other than the "state" in which it's situated (in I-95's case, by another state; in I-78's, by a bi-state agency).

thenetwork

Probably on the aforementioned cheat sheet, but I-275 in Indiana.

I'd have to throw the flag on I-90 in PA.  It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 miles in length and is a major thoroughfare.  And with nearly half of it under a urban 55 MPH zone in the Erie Metropolitan Area (!?!?) and nearly another 1/2 of it seemingly under construction every year, it seems like an eternity driving through there.

A better choice is both sections of I-86 in PA as being barely in the state.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 06, 2014, 12:40:59 AM
Quote from: NE2 on December 05, 2014, 11:34:24 PM

Well, I would count I-95 in DC if DC also pitched in to maintain it. as I-78 uses a Bi-State agency funded tunnel, it counts since NY and NJ both take claim on the tunnel, DC doesn't claim that section of the bridge.

Additional...

According to Wikipedia, and it is referencing Scot Kozel's website when it says this for the source:

" The District of Columbia, a jurisdiction that once had ownership rights to the 1961 Wilson Bridge span, relinquished future ownership rights and responsibility for the new bridge. Additionally, the District granted a permanent easement to Maryland and Virginia for the portion of the bridge located within its boundaries."

Basically, DC doesn't want the bridge to be theirs any more.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Woodrow_Wilson_Bridge.html
Who cares who maintained it?  The bridge crosses the district just as I-78 enters NY.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alex4897

95 in Delaware

Um, I beg to differ.  I-95 is a major roadway for the northern part of the state.
👉😎👉

NE2

Quote from: Alex4897 on December 06, 2014, 07:11:00 PM
95 in Delaware

Um, I beg to differ.  I-95 is a major roadway for the northern part of the state.
When the topic is stupidly defined, you get answers like this.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WNYroadgeek

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.