News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North/south long distance roads that cross multiple time zones.

Started by SteveG1988, December 12, 2014, 07:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

For example I-65 runs mostly north/south with a little eastern to get over to Louisville OH and Nashville TN, but it mostly stays along a straight line, yet it crosses into and out of the central time zone, are there any other interstates that do this?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cl94

If I-69 doesn't yet, it will in the near future.

You could make a case for US 62, even though it is "officially" east-west, because it connects Mexico and Canada. It has stretches in eastern, central, and mountain. Pretty sure it's the only one (if we count it) to be in 3 time zones.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

adventurernumber1

@Steve, you said interstates in the first post, but you said roads (taking that to mean any north-south Interstate or US Highway) in the title. So assuming US Highways might be candidates:

US 287 goes from the Central time zone into the Mountain time zone and gets decently close to the Pacific time zone.

US 11 goes from the Central time zone into the Eastern time zone.

US 127 goes from the Eastern time zone to the Central time zone (I could be pretty certain it passes through it) and back into the Eastern time zone again. US 27 is pretty close to entering the Central time zone for a good bit of its route, but I could be pretty sure it never actually enters it.

Here's a very interesting one: US 41 goes from the Eastern time zone into the Central into the Eastern again then into the Central again then into the Eastern time zone again  :-D

As for interstates:

Once/if I-69 is ever completed, it'll pass through both the Central & Eastern time zones.

I-59 goes through the Central time zone and just barely enters the Eastern time zone before ending on I-24 in Georgia.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

vtk

US 62 is what came to my mind first. In my head it's a north south route. This is probably a common perception for people along the route north of the Ohio river.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

cl94

Quote from: vtk on December 12, 2014, 08:48:07 PM
US 62 is what came to my mind first. In my head it's a north south route. This is probably a common perception for people along the route north of the Ohio river.

Heck, I live just over a mile from it where it is signed north-south
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

dfwmapper

For the times of the year when DST is in effect, I-15 passes through 3 timezones in 30 miles. Nevada is on PDT, Arizona is on MST, and Utah is on MDT. Only 2 times, but 3 zones.

If we count non-Interstates, US 95 goes from Mountain in Arizona to Pacific in California/Nevada to Mountain in southern Idaho to Pacific in northern Idaho, and I believe it switches back to Mountain when it crosses the border and continues as BC 95.

cpzilliacus

U.S. 29 starts out in Central Time in the western part of the Florida Panhandle, then into Alabama, and then Georgia, where it stays on Eastern Time the rest of the way to Maryland.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SteveG1988

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 12, 2014, 08:23:23 PM
@Steve, you said interstates in the first post, but you said roads (taking that to mean any north-south Interstate or US Highway) in the title. So assuming US Highways might be candidates:

US 287 goes from the Central time zone into the Mountain time zone and gets decently close to the Pacific time zone.

US 11 goes from the Central time zone into the Eastern time zone.

US 127 goes from the Eastern time zone to the Central time zone (I could be pretty certain it passes through it) and back into the Eastern time zone again. US 27 is pretty close to entering the Central time zone for a good bit of its route, but I could be pretty sure it never actually enters it.

Here's a very interesting one: US 41 goes from the Eastern time zone into the Central into the Eastern again then into the Central again then into the Eastern time zone again  :-D

As for interstates:

Once/if I-69 is ever completed, it'll pass through both the Central & Eastern time zones.

I-59 goes through the Central time zone and just barely enters the Eastern time zone before ending on I-24 in Georgia.

Yeah i said interstates in the end without thinking about it, i meant long distance roads in general.

US31, Central/Eastern

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

lordsutch

Already does: Evansville is in the Central Time Zone.

SteveG1988

Quote from: lordsutch on December 13, 2014, 01:52:24 AM

But for how long? Indiana is always in a state of temporal flux :)

Roads Clinched

jwolfer

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 13, 2014, 10:56:42 AM

A rift in the space time continuum

Thing 342

US-93: Mountain (MT, ID) to Pacific (NV), then back to Mountain (AZ)
US-95: Pacific (Northern ID) to Mountain (Southern ID), then back to Pacific (OR, NV, CA), then back again to Mountain (AZ)

pianocello

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 12, 2014, 07:13:31 PM
For example I-65 runs mostly north/south with a little eastern to get over to Louisville OH KY and Nashville TN, but it mostly stays along a straight line, yet it crosses into and out of the central time zone, are there any other interstates that do this?

I-65 is the only north-south interstate that crosses the same time zone boundary twice. Actually, it might be the only interstate, regardless of direction, that does that.

FTFY, by the way.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

lepidopteran

Does the north end of I-95 ever enter the Atlantic time zone?

cl94

Quote from: lepidopteran on December 14, 2014, 10:25:17 PM

No. Ends at the Maine-New Brunswick border. NB is in Atlantic.

dfwmapper

Quote from: pianocello on December 14, 2014, 10:09:45 PM
I-65 is the only north-south interstate that crosses the same time zone boundary twice. Actually, it might be the only interstate, regardless of direction, that does that.
Depending on which map you believe, I-40 might as well. The Navajo Nation observes DST, while the rest of Arizona does not. Some maps show a small sliver of the nation covering the area of Navajo, AZ, with non-nation parts on both sides, and more of the nation (plus New Mexico) further east. Thus for 8 months of the year one could drive from MST to MDT to MST to MDT.

And for that matter, another one for the thread in general, AZ 87 goes from MST in the main part of AZ to MDT in the Navajo Nation back to MST in the Hopi Nation, as they do not observe DST. And AZ 264 also crosses both nations and therefore both timezones.

DandyDan

Then there's the part of US 83 in the Fort Pierre, SD area.  At least according to Rand McNally, going from Pierre to Fort Pierre, US 83 enters the Mountain Time Zone when it crosses the Missouri, but after it separates from US 14, and apparently before you get to Fort Pierre (or at least where the dot for Fort Pierre is), it is Central Time Zone again.

K-27, which goes north-south through the western tier of counties in Kansas, is in the CTZ for 2 counties, the MTZ for 4 counties, and then the CTZ for 1 county.  NE 27, the northward extension of K-27 in Nebraska that connects to US 34, is MTZ.

NE 97, which goes between North Platte and Valentine, begins and ends in the CTZ, but has a MTZ segment in between.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

SteveG1988

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 15, 2014, 03:19:25 AM
Depending on which map you believe, I-40 might as well. The Navajo Nation observes DST, while the rest of Arizona does not. Some maps show a small sliver of the nation covering the area of Navajo, AZ, with non-nation parts on both sides, and more of the nation (plus New Mexico) further east. Thus for 8 months of the year one could drive from MST to MDT to MST to MDT.

And for that matter, another one for the thread in general, AZ 87 goes from MST in the main part of AZ to MDT in the Navajo Nation back to MST in the Hopi Nation, as they do not observe DST. And AZ 264 also crosses both nations and therefore both timezones.

But are these roads signed N/S like I-65 is?
Roads Clinched

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on December 14, 2014, 10:46:22 PM

Just to clarify: the Atlantic time zone never enters the continental United States, period.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 15, 2014, 10:25:56 AM
Quote from: cl94 on December 14, 2014, 10:46:22 PM

Just to clarify: the Atlantic time zone never enters the continental United States, period.

Correct. ROUTE 95 enters the Atlantic time zone, as the road continues as New Brunswick Route 95 for a few kilometres until it reaches the Trans-Canada Highway. But that's obviously a separate matter from INTERSTATE 95.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dfwmapper

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 15, 2014, 09:07:19 AM
Quote from: dfwmapper on December 15, 2014, 03:19:25 AM

But are these roads signed N/S like I-65 is?
AZ 87 is signed N/S. I-40 is E/W of course, but it fits the "regardless of direction" criteria.

sbeaver44

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 13, 2014, 10:56:42 AM

So much so it gets its own Wikipedia article.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

agentsteel53

I don't believe any part of the US is in Atlantic time zone.  am I misremembering?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.