News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on January 07, 2019, 11:30:39 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 07, 2019, 09:55:29 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 07, 2019, 09:12:15 AMIs anyone going to see the (old) Tappan Zee Bridge being exploded on January 12 at 9:30 AM? Remember to take photos!
If a weather system hits the area this Saturday as predicted; such might be postponed.
Fingers crossed.
Postponed, no new date set as of yet.

Quote from: lohud.com Article"The sustained winds caused delays to the preparatory work of the planned demolition operation," read a statement from Tappan Zee Constructors. "We appreciate the patience of the local community, and once we have rescheduled the operation we will provide an update."

Update: Tuesday Jan. 15 is now the rescheduled date; however, the time has not yet been determined.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2019, 05:02:19 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 07, 2019, 11:30:39 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 07, 2019, 09:55:29 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 07, 2019, 09:12:15 AMIs anyone going to see the (old) Tappan Zee Bridge being exploded on January 12 at 9:30 AM? Remember to take photos!
If a weather system hits the area this Saturday as predicted; such might be postponed.
Fingers crossed.
Postponed, no new date set as of yet.

Quote from: lohud.com Article"The sustained winds caused delays to the preparatory work of the planned demolition operation," read a statement from Tappan Zee Constructors. "We appreciate the patience of the local community, and once we have rescheduled the operation we will provide an update."

Update: Tuesday Jan. 15 is now the rescheduled date; however, the time has not yet been determined.

10:00 AM.

iPhone

D-Dey65

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 11, 2018, 05:04:17 PM
I have never heard of this junction (never been to LI), but judging by the aerial photos, it looks like a mess with that double merge.

It is interesting to see that all options are on the table in those cutaways. I doubt 75% of them will be considered.
It's a total disaster that NYSDOT knows they could've avoided, but they wanted to build it in a way that didn't piss off the environmental lobby. Plan V-3 is the best of them, but even that needs some modifications. One of which is to have the west end of Montauk Highway and the entrance to Connetquot River State Park in an intersection with the service roads. The other is to reduce the number of on and off ramps between Connetquot Avenue and Locust Avenue. NY 27A/Connetquot River State Park and Suffolk CR 85 should strictly be Exit 47. There should be no Exit 46A, no Exit 47A, and no unnumbered exits to minor roads and local businesses.

Mergingtraffic

And all the button copy remaining at the I-684, I-84 JCT has now been replaced.  So this is gone.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Buffaboy

One thing that has always amazed me is that 3 unique "French Roads" intersect with Transit Road (NY 78) in Erie County. There's French Road in Depew, French Road in Cheektowaga, and North French Road in Amherst.

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Michael

One of my friends posted this video on Facebook from 1939 of snowplowing in the Tug Hill area and a couple of towns east of Syracuse:

route17fan

Awesome video! Even a cast iron marker for New Boston on NY 177!  :awesomeface:
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

empirestate

So that's why they call them snow plow "riders"!

Mergingtraffic

I never realized this sign was that old going back to the non-reflective days.
Yonkers, NY

Michael

Yesterday, one of my friends posted this video of a mast arm in Oswego bouncing in the wind.  Based on the fact that the signal head is 3 feet tall, I'd say the end of the mast arm is moving at least 6 feet.  I'm surprised it didn't break off!

A few days ago, I also saw this video of a set of lights falling off a span wire in Williamsville.

seicer

I am seeing a movement to what I thought were over-engineered mast-arm lights around this district in upstate, but after seeing the winds batter them yesterday (and seeing them flex more than 3 feet), they seem to be doing the job well. I wonder what the tolerance is? (Steve may know?)

Buffaboy

Apparently $100k has been put towards a design competition for a Buffalo Skyway replacement.

I have no idea what this would entail or how they will pull it off. Are they really going to funnel all of these cars onto Main Street with a drawbridge?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

seicer

Perhaps. The Buffalo River just doesn't see that much traffic anymore, with most of the mills long abandoned. (Is there such a page to view the number of openings of a bridge per year?) And I suspect the bridge will still be elevated to allow for pleasure craft to still move about without having to open the drawbridge for most instances.

cl94

Ah, yes, replace the deck and perform major maintenance, then announce a replacement a few months later. This is political more than anything. If it was intended to be more of a band-aid fix, they'd have used modular deck panels that could be used elsewhere like was done with Tappan Zee.

As far as river traffic, anything they put in will have to accommodate barges serving General Mills and the crapton of sailboats calling the former ship canal home. Furthermore, the marina and General Mills property extend under the Skyway, which currently sees 42K vehicles/day (busier than NY 198, which had a diet forced through as well). Pre-Skyway, NY 5 used Michigan Avenue to cross the river. I want to say that part of the former alignment (west of Ganson St) was taken over by General Mills and the Ship Canal bridge was removed in the 60s. Furthermore, there are a ton of freight/rail movements in that area which would frequently tie up traffic.

I get wanting to remove the elevated highway, but those 42K cars need to go somewhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

As a daily user of this bridge, literally at all times of the day, I don't see removal as a possibility. I also don't think putting the traffic into surface streets is necessarily the right way to go. Maybe a tunnel of some $ort is the option, or shifting everything to the east.

If you ask the amateurs at Reddit in r/buffalo, they seem to believe the only reason to remove it would be to implement Buffalo's version of the High Line. That's incredibly short slighted and silly.

Roadgeek Adam

This project would result in needing to rebuild exit 7 of I-190 southbound. If they wanted to go with an arterial boulevard with a drawbridge in the middle, I get it, but I don't think it will work as well as one would think.

My proposal of a new boulevard would include a NFTA extension of the Metro, but the problem is that it won't get us anywhere. Also, any new proposal should involve upgrading 5 through Woodlawn, resulting in the 40 mph speed limit going away.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

D-Dey65

I was going to post this message on the thread on bridge with unusually high clearances, but I gave up trying to find it, so I'll have to post my message here:

Does anybody see this LIRR bridge (no, it's not over Manhasset Bay):

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_Suffolk_CR_4_crosses_under_LIRR_Port_Jeff_Bridge.jpg

Would I have to send an e-mail to MTA about the clearence, or the Suffolk County Department of Public Works? Because I also wanted to ask the MTA about the height of this bridge for pedestrians:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BMT_Franklin_Line_over_Park_Place.JPG

The height for trucks and buses is already there, so I don't need to ask about that one.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Regarding the first bridge, I would say email the MTA as it is maintained by them. I used to drive under that bridge daily, amazing how high it is.

Alps

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on March 03, 2019, 12:30:39 AM
Regarding the first bridge, I would say email the MTA as it is maintained by them. I used to drive under that bridge daily, amazing how high it is.
Looks about 27'-31' tall based on the roadway lane.

Mergingtraffic

When did NY start using reflective button copy?  I saw old sign plans from 1979 or so showing a reflective button copy exit tab to be added on top of non-reflective button copy signs on the BRP.
CT phased it in around 1984 or so.

Pic is one of two button copy signs on Staten Island (the other is a non-reflective BAY ST sign coming of the VZB)

machias

NYS has used button copy since at least the original signs on the Thruway. I know button copy was phased out sometime between 1989 and 1992. Button copy signs were installed in 89 in the Utica area, but in 92 it was all reflective sheeting in the Syracuse area.

Michael

A few nights ago, I came across this sign on US 15 northbound at the NY border.  What's the point of making radar detectors illegal for just bigger vehicles?  I couldn't find anything about the law on Google.

SignBridge

The first button-copy I ever saw on Long Island (Region-10) was in the early 1960's on the L.I. Expwy when it was built as far east as Route 110 in Suffolk County. ..............The last button-copy sign project here was in 1984 when the entire length of Northern State Pkwy. in Nassau & Suffolk Counties was completely re-signed. And many of those have been replaced by now. New sign projects done on other Long Island Parkways in the late 1980's did not use button-copy.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Michael on March 28, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
A few nights ago, I came across this sign on US 15 northbound at the NY border.  What's the point of making radar detectors illegal for just bigger vehicles?  I couldn't find anything about the law on Google.

I noticed THIS sign on G.S.V. which was close to yours: https://goo.gl/maps/umm5qb5U6KM2

Now I hope that it happened to be the day the newer blue sign had gone up!  :-D

webny99

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 28, 2019, 10:10:24 PM
Quote from: Michael on March 28, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
I noticed THIS sign on G.S.V. which was close to yours: https://goo.gl/maps/umm5qb5U6KM2
Now I hope that it happened to be the day the newer blue sign had gone up!  :-D

Hey, thanks for posting that! I've been waiting for years for Street View to drive the new segment of I-99 -- I used to check every so often but hadn't in ages.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.