NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 26, 2018, 04:55:56 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on April 19, 2018, 08:52:05 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 16, 2018, 02:41:04 PM
So all the button copy in the area are gone including these?

Those are definitely gone.

I guess Staten Island is the first borough to be completely devoid of button copy.
There were a couple of frontage road signs along 440 that I think survived even the last round of replacement, but I haven't been back since the one interchange was converted to ugliness. I also think there's an entrance BGS or two along 278. Getting scarce though.

D-Dey65

There may have been a thread or post on the reconstruction of the Long Island Expressway/Grand Central Parkway interchange a while back;

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40°44'15.1%22N+73°50'43.5%22W/@40.7400517,-73.8489445,708m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d40.737514!4d-73.845404?hl=en

But so far, I haven't found anything on it.

UPDATE, June 3, 2018: I modified my link.

D-Dey65

Here's another LIE and Parkway interchange I'm looking at, specifically Cross Island Parkway.

I was originally looking at the older version of the interchange with Cross Island and NY 25A, so I could spot the east-to-north loop ramp that used to be there. Then I scrolled down to the Long Island Expressway to see if I could find any evidence of the gas station that used to be south of the south-to-east loop ramp.

https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=15&lat=40.758333&lon=-73.747222

It's barely visible. However, what I did find was what appears to be an embankment for a proposed ramp connecting that loop ramp to West Alley Road, and a lot of bike trails that I originally thought were on and off ramps. Evidently, some topography maps thought those were on and off ramps too.

_Simon

When I see this I imagine old people that don't understand the difference between "zoom" and "font size".

Alps

Quote from: _Simon on June 28, 2018, 11:36:04 PM
When I see this I imagine old people that don't understand the difference between "zoom" and "font size".

All those messages are set centrally, so someone responsible for making that sign made a booboo.

storm2k

Drove over the Verrazano today on my way to and from a party in Brooklyn. Can confirm that this is the last old button copy sign in the whole area. These signs have both been replaced, and they look like signs you'd see in Georgia, where the exit tab is part of the main sign with a line (ILDOT does that also in some places--at least they used to on a number of Chicago-area expressways that got signs replaced in the early 90s). The exits right off the bridge are 15 N-S-W. I thought NYSDOT had stopped using directional suffices and adopted A-B-C lettering to comply with MUTCD?

MikeCL

I saw this when I went to see the fireworks... it's been awhile since I been on the FDR

MikeCL

Quote from: Alps on June 28, 2018, 11:50:21 PM
Quote from: _Simon on June 28, 2018, 11:36:04 PM

All those messages are set centrally, so someone responsible for making that sign made a booboo.
I've seen that mistake as well my first thought was I have glasses and if I was at speed I'd never be able to read it

Alps

Quote from: MikeCL on July 09, 2018, 04:05:58 AM
I saw this when I went to see the fireworks... it's been awhile since I been on the FDR
Your photo was taken before 7:10 because otherwise I'd have been in it!

MikeCL

Quote from: Alps on July 09, 2018, 08:25:58 AM
Quote from: MikeCL on July 09, 2018, 04:05:58 AM
Your photo was taken before 7:10 because otherwise I'd have been in it!
Lol.. boy do I have videos of that.. i got down here around 4:50 and I had to wait in line for another 40 min before we could walk down to the drive.. by 7:30 they opened the gates and people tried to run to cross over the concrete barrier the cops stopped them dead in the tracks..

This was around 8:30 the video was time stamped

https://youtu.be/ltmF1u8yEuU

I won't be doing it again next year...

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: storm2k on July 09, 2018, 02:07:16 AM
Drove over the Verrazano today on my way to and from a party in Brooklyn. Can confirm that this is the last old button copy sign in the whole area. These signs have both been replaced, and they look like signs you'd see in Georgia, where the exit tab is part of the main sign with a line (ILDOT does that also in some places--at least they used to on a number of Chicago-area expressways that got signs replaced in the early 90s). The exits right off the bridge are 15 N-S-W. I thought NYSDOT had stopped using directional suffices and adopted A-B-C lettering to comply with MUTCD?

Interesting, I thought this was removed.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 09, 2018, 02:50:59 PM
Quote from: storm2k on July 09, 2018, 02:07:16 AM

Interesting, I thought this was removed.

It will probably be gone at some point soon. It's on closed off pavement as they finish the reconfiguration of the area for AET.

Alps

Quote from: MikeCL on July 09, 2018, 08:31:33 AM

Jesus, dude, you were standing about 5 feet behind me.

MikeCL

Quote from: Alps on July 09, 2018, 09:23:11 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on July 09, 2018, 08:31:33 AM

Jesus, dude, you were standing about 5 feet behind me.
Haha small world :D man I'm so glad my wife pulled me away just as we were stepping on the concrete divider the show ended and it was a flood of people back the other way.. I forgot the street over but I did not know it was traffic on that one.. I never heard so many horns honk at once.

Mergingtraffic

Glad to see the lone remaining button copy I-495 sign still hangs

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

MikeCL

As soon as I saw it I was trying to bring out my camera fast I thought about you guys here

storm2k

Was in upper Manhattan yesterday, and saw this great sign. It looks like NYCDOT tried to replicate one of the PA's GWB symbol signs coming off the Macombs Dam Bridge (for comparison, here is a proper one a bit further back). Very interesting take on the signs. Also note the HRD shields. Wonder what the redesigned HRD shields will look like.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 20, 2018, 01:28:26 PM
Was in upper Manhattan yesterday, and saw this great sign. It looks like NYCDOT tried to replicate one of the PA's GWB symbol signs coming off the Macombs Dam Bridge (for comparison, here is a proper one a bit further back). Very interesting take on the signs. Also note the HRD shields. Wonder what the redesigned HRD shields will look like.
Cool replication!  Though not authentic, still a great sign.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DRMan

In the interests of "branding", Gov. Cuomo has again decided to ignore the MUTCD.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/24/cuomo-spent-253k-on-colored-pylons-that-may-violate-standards/

QuoteAbout 3,500 orange pylons affixed to the center of the roadways inside the Brooklyn-Battery and Queens-Midtown tunnels were replaced as part of a $588 million reconstruction project to fix flood-related damage from 2012's Hurricane Sandy.

The new, plastic poles are blue with bands of reflective gold tape, to match the state's official colors – and the colored tiles that Cuomo used to decorate the tunnels' walls and ceiling, which sources have said added $20 million to $30 million to the total cost.

Alps

Quote from: DRMan on July 26, 2018, 01:01:42 PM
In the interests of "branding", Gov. Cuomo has again decided to ignore the MUTCD.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/24/cuomo-spent-253k-on-colored-pylons-that-may-violate-standards/

QuoteAbout 3,500 orange pylons affixed to the center of the roadways inside the Brooklyn-Battery and Queens-Midtown tunnels were replaced as part of a $588 million reconstruction project to fix flood-related damage from 2012’s Hurricane Sandy.

The new, plastic poles are blue with bands of reflective gold tape, to match the state’s official colors — and the colored tiles that Cuomo used to decorate the tunnels’ walls and ceiling, which sources have said added $20 million to $30 million to the total cost.

Let alone the color of the pole not being orange - the reflective tape needs to match the color of the lane line.

AMLNet49

Quote from: DRMan on July 26, 2018, 01:01:42 PM

QuoteAbout 3,500 orange pylons affixed to the center of the roadways inside the Brooklyn-Battery and Queens-Midtown tunnels were replaced as part of a $588 million reconstruction project to fix flood-related damage from 2012's Hurricane Sandy.

The new, plastic poles are blue with bands of reflective gold tape, to match the state's official colors – and the colored tiles that Cuomo used to decorate the tunnels' walls and ceiling, which sources have said added $20 million to $30 million to the total cost.

I think theres a big difference between this and the stupid signs that they had to remove. Making the pylons match the state's branding isn't a terrible idea because it makes the tunnel look nicer and less industrial. The signs upstate that did nothing and had no purpose dont serve to impress visitors (who often take the battery tunnel into manhattan from JFK) and really served no purpose whatsoever.

MikeCL

Not sure where to put this one but I'm guessing these are from the 60's?

ixnay

Quote from: MikeCL on August 05, 2018, 03:38:45 PM

Where is that assembly of button copy?  I thought it was on U.S. 46 but GSV isn't helping.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

MikeCL

Quote from: ixnay on August 05, 2018, 05:49:03 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on August 05, 2018, 03:38:45 PM

Where is that assembly of button copy?  I thought it was on U.S. 46 but GSV isn't helping.

ixnay

You have this sign which I've never seen work

https://goo.gl/maps/Pkq5Acbddv82

and the picture from which I took it on North Bergen blvd U.S. 9

https://goo.gl/maps/a3qHG3kxHiT2

ixnay

I found it.  It's after Caspars Lane, but before you go over Main St.  The trick to me was finding that used car lot.  Thanks.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.