ESPN Has Lost 7 Million Subscribers The Past Two Years

Started by Stephane Dumas, November 30, 2015, 10:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

Relative to M&M, it looks like Golic's show is just going to be the continuation of M&M and they have already shown they have plenty of others on staff that can be plugged into the Greenburg role.  The issue for that show is ESPN plans to move it to ESPNU, which a lot less people get, after football season.  Meanwhile, Greenburg's show is reported to be considered for a delay from its January launch.  Apparently ESPN's empty suits just agreed to Greenburg's desire for a show without really seeing if he could produce something watchable for three or four hours per day.  Apparently he cannot.  Now they are saying the show may not launch until late spring.  I will continue to point out that FS1's replica of the show "First Things" is a great alternative, but likewise much too focused on the NBA.

Other than live games, the only ESPN products I watch is the ATH/PTI block, always recorded so the politics and NBA obsessions can be FFed.  I will watch Feinbaum on the SECN just for fun now and then.  I will watch their college wraparound shows sometimes.  I cannot watch any version of SC anymore, they just have no interest in actually giving the scores of the day's sports in rough order of their notability and popularity.

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on October 04, 2017, 10:08:37 AM
ESPN gets F1 broadcast rights starting next year. Not sure how I feel about this...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a12778328/formula-1-espn-broadcasting-rights/

Sounds like we'll lose Diffey, Hobbs, Matchett, and Buxton. That's a shame. They're not perfect, but they do good work.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 29, 2017, 06:35:58 PM
ESPN gets F1 broadcast rights starting next year. Not sure how I feel about this...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a12778328/formula-1-espn-broadcasting-rights/

Sounds like we'll lose Diffey, Hobbs, Matchett, and Buxton. That's a shame. They're not perfect, but they do good work.

If they can get Bob Varsha and Derek Daly, it will be better than okay. But they're looking like darkhorses right now. Buxton does a great job in the pits, Hobbs has driver's experience in many disciplines, Matchett knows the technical / team side of things, so they'll be missed.

I'm not a fan of the bland "world feed" commentary that I've heard on YouTube videos. It sounds so...pre-recorded and a bit contrived.

Takumi

Isn't the English-language world feed commentary the UK announcing team?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on October 30, 2017, 07:49:14 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 29, 2017, 06:35:58 PM

If they can get Bob Varsha and Derek Daly, it will be better than okay. But they're looking like darkhorses right now. Buxton does a great job in the pits, Hobbs has driver's experience in many disciplines, Matchett knows the technical / team side of things, so they'll be missed.

I'm not a fan of the bland "world feed" commentary that I've heard on YouTube videos. It sounds so...pre-recorded and a bit contrived.

It was nice hearing Varsha again for the Singapore race, but I think he's more or less locked in at FOX Sports for now. I recall when F1 moved to NBC he said the reason he didn't move was that he was under contract with FOX to cover more than just F1, whereas Hobbs and Matchett were not.

I looked on Twitter last night and Hobbs has more or less said he figures he'll be retiring from TV work. Not retiring completely as he does own that Honda dealership in Wisconsin.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Yeah, I remember that about Bob as well, yet the only thing I've ever seen him cover since F1 left Fox is a car auction.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

slorydn1

Quote from: Takumi on October 30, 2017, 10:22:46 AM
Yeah, I remember that about Bob as well, yet the only thing I've ever seen him cover since F1 left Fox is a car auction.

And the 24 Hours of Lemans, too!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Takumi

I wouldn't know, since Fox's coverage of that is, uh, strange.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 30, 2017, 09:21:03 AM

I looked on Twitter last night and Hobbs has more or less said he figures he'll be retiring from TV work. Not retiring completely as he does own that Honda dealership in Wisconsin.

Funny, I remember when David Hobbs had a car dealership in Columbus (during the 1980s).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bing101

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/14/how-the-disney-fox-deal-affects-local-sports-coverage/

Note the OC Register talks abot how the Fox/Disney deal affects Fox sports West in the Los Angeles area and how it affects the contracts of LA area teams.

SP Cook

Quote from: bing101 on December 17, 2017, 01:22:08 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/14/how-the-disney-fox-deal-affects-local-sports-coverage/

Note the OC Register talks abot how the Fox/Disney deal affects Fox sports West in the Los Angeles area and how it affects the contracts of LA area teams.

After all the name changes, people who are not hard core sports TV geeks will have a new lingo to learn.  ESPN, for the about 70% of the country where Fox and then ESPN owned the local RSN, could mean:

- The "regular" ESPN channels ("mothership", 2, U and News) that show national broadcasts of games.
- ESPN on ABC, which is how ABC brands almost all of its sports programming.
- ESPN3, which is not really TV, but supplemental, mostly small time, games on the internet.
- Watch ESPN, which is an internet based mix of all of the above.
- ESPN Radio, which is ESPN's syndicated package of talk shows and the radio coverage of several major events.  This is often confusing because ESPN's news shows and "bottom line" genterally insists that things on other networks are on ESPN Radio, with no mention of the TV coverage.
- The other ESPN Radio, which is 100s of staions that have branded themselves as "ESPN Radio" and carry the above, plus locally produced materal that really has nothing to do with ESPN.
- ESPN regional, such as ESPN West or ESPN Ohio, which will carry the local teams locally, plus (generally) filler material.

bing101

Roadgeekteen

And now ESPN is create fake drama about the Patriots :banghead:.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

triplemultiplex

ESPN has been in the tank for the Pats for decades.
The Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox, Lebron network.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 08, 2018, 10:09:56 AM

Seeing as they are HQed in central Connecticut . . . .

<rolleyes>

Mike

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2018, 03:24:38 PM

<rolleyes>

Mike
Then what about Lebron?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 08, 2018, 09:01:51 PM

<rolleyes>

Mike
Then what about Lebron?

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

spooky

ESPN is most definitely not "for" the Pats. They caused the deflategate controversy with their inaccurate reporting, and seem to be targeting the Patriots again with some unconfirmed rumors this past weekend regarding the relationships between the QB, head coach and owner.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

KeithE4Phx

<rolleyes>

Mike
Then what about Lebron?

ESPN is all about marketing stars, as is the NBA for that matter, but ESPN does it for all sports it coves.

See:  Brett Favre (Green Bay), Peyton Manning (Indianapolis), Tim Tebow (Univ. of Florida), for example.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on January 09, 2018, 09:50:55 PM

<rolleyes>

Mike
Then what about Lebron?

ESPN is all about marketing stars, as is the NBA for that matter, but ESPN does it for all sports it coves.

See:  Brett Favre (Green Bay), Peyton Manning (Indianapolis), Tim Tebow (Univ. of Florida), for example.
Those stars are kind of outdated. It is not 2009 anymore.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: spooky on January 09, 2018, 02:04:43 PM

ESPN is most definitely not "for" the Pats. They caused the deflategate controversy with their inaccurate reporting, and seem to be targeting the Patriots again with some unconfirmed rumors this past weekend regarding the relationships between the QB, head coach and owner.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SSOWorld

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2018, 03:22:33 PM

<rolleyes>

Mike
Then what about Lebron?

They still worship LeBron and Tiger though.  Any golf tournament featuring the latter is elevated to a top story and the focus is on him, not the leader/winner of the tournament.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 15, 2018, 10:27:04 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2018, 03:22:33 PM

<rolleyes>

Mike
Then what about Lebron?

They still worship LeBron and Tiger though.  Any golf tournament featuring the latter is elevated to a top story and the focus is on him, not the leader/winner of the tournament.
Not Lebron, but Favre and Manning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.