News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bridges, almost

Started by wxfree, June 04, 2016, 12:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

I'm curious about how often something like this happens.  It's the only one I've ever seen.

This is near TX 17.  I've been by on the highway a few times and would have taken a detour if I'd known this was so nearby.  It's a bridge, or most of a bridge, that appears to be standing but is unusable because of washed out approaches.  The road just goes around and crosses the stream bed.  Historical imagery on Google Earth seems to show the bridge intact in 2003 and shows the current configuration in 2005.  The imagery is not clear enough to see if the channel got wider during that time.  The county apparently doesn't consider rebuilding to be a priority, probably since the channel is almost always dry.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.9413572,-103.7851555,103m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

edit: I meant for that to be zoomed further in, but Google decided that I chose the wrong level.  The link says "103m," which I assume means 103 meters, but it automatically goes to the 189m level.  That's rather annoying.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Max Rockatansky

Check out US 89 north of Flagstaff just to the east of the modern road.  There are plenty of little old 89 alignments with bridges in similar shape and washes used as roadway on Navajo land.

kphoger

I've encountered this sort of situation when a bridge was being rebuilt, but never as a permanent solution.  The most memorable for me was when they were building the Puente El Progreso.  My wife and I were on our honeymoon, and had rented a Chevrolet Chevy.  The detour to the other side went down into the gorge shortly before the missing bridge, crossed the flowing stream at grade, then headed up the other side.

[edited link]
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2016, 09:38:04 AM
I've encountered this sort of situation when a bridge was being rebuilt, but never as a permanent solution.  The most memorable for me was when they were building the Puente El Progreso.  My wife and I were on our honeymoon, and had rented a Chevrolet Chevy.  The detour to the other side went down into the gorge shortly before the missing bridge, crossed the flowing stream at grade, then headed up the other side.

I'm dying to know what a Chevrolet Chevy was.   :-D

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 04, 2016, 12:08:03 PM

I linked to the exact model.  It was an Opel Corsa B clone.

Chevrolet Chevy.

[Edited link.  Apparently it was an older model than I remember]
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2016, 12:09:29 PM

I linked to the exact model.  It was an Opel Corsa B clone.

Chevrolet Chevy.

[Edited link.  Apparently it was an older model than I remember]

Just weird that's how the hyperlink came out....that must have been one hell of a detour now that I had a chance to look at the photos.

kphoger

I think you might still be confused. The model name was actually "Chevy". It's not a mistake. The Opel Corsa was sold in Mexico under the name Chevrolet Chevy.

Anyway, keep in mind that the GSV images were from several years later. Our honeymoon was in 2006. And, that being the official detour, the road was somewhat graded, weeded, etc. Still quite the adventure, though. We took a picture or two, but those have been lost in the annals of time and expired photo hosting memberships.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2016, 10:51:30 PM
I think you might still be confused. The model name was actually "Chevy". It's not a mistake. The Opel Corsa was sold in Mexico under the name Chevrolet Chevy.

Anyway, keep in mind that the GSV images were from several years later. Our honeymoon was in 2006. And, that being the official detour, the road was somewhat graded, weeded, etc. Still quite the adventure, though. We took a picture or two, but those have been lost in the annals of time and expired photo hosting memberships.

Actually had no idea they called the Corsa that down in Mexico...that's probably one of the strangest named GM vehicles this side of calling a Chevy sedan the "SS."

Yeah I was thinking that the grade must have overgrown by now or deteriorated heavily.  Would have been neat to see; just watched a video on a similar grade on La Bajada Hill where someone took a 4x4 up and then back down what's left.

Otto Yamamoto

SS is for Super Sport, an appellation added to various Chevy models in the 60's that had performance enhancements.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on June 05, 2016, 02:32:25 AM
SS is for Super Sport, an appellation added to various Chevy models in the 60's that had performance enhancements.

Yes and now there is a car called that...a good one too that should had been called the Commodore or Caprice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_%28VF%29

Not the Super Sports Roadster "SSR" gets a pass for crappy naming either....  What's next, a sub-compact with four-wheel disc brakes and a factory body kit being called the "RS" instead of having an actual name?

Rothman

Check out the Dunn Memorial Bridge in Albany, NY.  Originally, the road was to be plowed through Rennselaer, but was aborted, causing a stump on the eastern side of the bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.