News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

These are what the former Kmart's in my area are now.

Saginaw use to have three Kmart's now Saginaw has zero Kmart's.
*There was a location in Fort Saginaw Mall on Holland Avenue (M-46) near it's interchange with I-75. That location along with the mall were demolished in 2009 and currently is a vacant lot.
*The location on Bay and Schust in Saginaw Township is a CubeSmart, the only Saginaw Kmart location that closed and is occupied again.
*The location on Gratiot and Center had a somewhat strange closing. It's believed that the store would have remained open but 4 years ago this month as a matter of fact the roof collapsed in the middle of the night after heavy snowfall. The store was deemed closed until further notice but has never re-opened. Here's an article about it http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/01/saginaw_township_k-mart_closed.html
*Bay City had one Kmart which closed in 2017, the building is still vacant and was a much older Kmart store. Another store across town in Essexville closed about 15 years ago along with the Hampton Square Mall in which Kmart was an anchor store.
*Flint has numerous vacant Kmart's most of which haven't been occupied since Kmart left.

There are two locations within 25-30 miles of here, one in Midland which hangs on I believe mostly due to the fact that it isn't in direct competition with Walmart or Meijer which are located on the other side of Midland. The other one is in Clio and that store is located next to the M-57/I-75 interchange (Exit 131 on I-75). Other than that Mt. Pleasant is losing it's store with this go around of closures and a couple are still in the Thumb area I believe. I know Sandusky lost it's Kmart last year and Bad Axe once had a Kmart but no longer does.

Flint1979

Also in the Detroit area Kroger has done a good job at reutilizing old Kmart stores. Kroger has demolished the Kmart's and rebuilt them. One Kmart store that I think is still open at 9 Mile and Harper in St. Clair Shores is slated to be demolished after it closes and will become a Kroger Marketplace. Kroger opened a new store in Southgate in September 2017 which was a former Kmart.

Hurricane Rex

The Tualatin, OR Kmart store was changed into a Cabela's which benefits me greatly but took a long time for the conversion.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 15, 2018, 01:49:39 AM
Also in the Detroit area Kroger has done a good job at reutilizing old Kmart stores. Kroger has demolished the Kmart's and rebuilt them. One Kmart store that I think is still open at 9 Mile and Harper in St. Clair Shores is slated to be demolished after it closes and will become a Kroger Marketplace. Kroger opened a new store in Southgate in September 2017 which was a former Kmart.
I wonder if that new Kroger will replace two nearby smaller Krogers (9 Mile and Greater Mack & 8 Mile and Harper). I could see the Rawsonville Rd Kmart become a Kroger as there are no grocery stores within 3-4 miles.

In my home area, there are several former Kmarts.
*The two in Traverse City (Acme Township and Cherryland Center) are vacant, since they both closed within the last year.
*Manistee, which closed in 2016, is vacant.
*The original Manistee location (which was originally Grant City and was replaced by the recently closed location in 1992) is now home to Peebles and Dunham's Sports.
*Kmart also relocated in Ludington, and both former locations are in use. The first one (which was also Grant City) is subdivided between Peebles, Dollar General, and Aaron's. The second location (which opened around the same time as the second Manistee location and closed during the 2002 bankruptcy) is now Lowe's.
*Muskegon had two. The one on Apple Ave at US-31 (which just closed) is being replaced in part by Planet Fitness. The one on Henry Ave between Norton and Seminole has been vacant since it closed during the 2002 bankruptcy.

The Grand Rapids area had six Kmarts at one point; now they have none.
*28th and Buchanan (closed mid to late 1990s; now Richwood Industries)
*28th and Lake Eastbrook (closed 2002 bankruptcy; now Burlington Coat Factory)
*Alpine and I-96 (closed 2000; now Marshalls)
*Chicago Dr and Cottonwood Dr (closed 1994/5; now At Home)
*68th and US-131 (closed 2016; vacant; opened not long before the Chicago Dr location closed)
*Plainfield and Jupiter (North Kent Mall; closed 2016; vacant)

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on January 15, 2018, 10:57:08 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 15, 2018, 01:49:39 AM
I wonder if that new Kroger will replace two nearby smaller Krogers (9 Mile and Greater Mack & 8 Mile and Harper). I could see the Rawsonville Rd Kmart become a Kroger as there are no grocery stores within 3-4 miles.

In my home area, there are several former Kmarts.
*The two in Traverse City (Acme Township and Cherryland Center) are vacant, since they both closed within the last year.
*Manistee, which closed in 2016, is vacant.
*The original Manistee location (which was originally Grant City and was replaced by the recently closed location in 1992) is now home to Peebles and Dunham's Sports.
*Kmart also relocated in Ludington, and both former locations are in use. The first one (which was also Grant City) is subdivided between Peebles, Dollar General, and Aaron's. The second location (which opened around the same time as the second Manistee location and closed during the 2002 bankruptcy) is now Lowe's.
*Muskegon had two. The one on Apple Ave at US-31 (which just closed) is being replaced in part by Planet Fitness. The one on Henry Ave between Norton and Seminole has been vacant since it closed during the 2002 bankruptcy.

The Grand Rapids area had six Kmarts at one point; now they have none.
*28th and Buchanan (closed mid to late 1990s; now Richwood Industries)
*28th and Lake Eastbrook (closed 2002 bankruptcy; now Burlington Coat Factory)
*Alpine and I-96 (closed 2000; now Marshalls)
*Chicago Dr and Cottonwood Dr (closed 1994/5; now At Home)
*68th and US-131 (closed 2016; vacant; opened not long before the Chicago Dr location closed)
*Plainfield and Jupiter (North Kent Mall; closed 2016; vacant)
Yep the one at 9 Mile and Greater Mack will be closing when the new store at 9 Mile and Harper opens. Not sure about the one at 8 Mile and Harper. Kroger does have the two Dearborn locations across the street from each other though and one at 13 Mile and Little Mack as well as 13 Mile and Gratiot. I know the one at 9 Mile and Greater Mack though will be closing for sure and it would make sense for the one at 8 Mile and Harper to close as well. I'm surprised they haven't combined the two Dearborn stores and the two stores on 13 Mile. Kroger closed a store in Saginaw in November at Gratiot and Center but added onto the one on State Street in Green Acres Plaza, now I learn the Green Acres store will no longer be open 24 hours starting next month.

Flint1979

One I forgot but it hasn't been a Kmart in at least 25 years is the one on State Street in Saginaw. It became Horizons Conference Center years ago and is still there. That Kmart though was relocated to the one where the roof collapsed on Gratiot four years ago.

As far as I'm concerned Kmart doesn't even exist anymore to me. The one in Midland is the closest one and it seems odd that they'd close that one but I wouldn't be surprised if it did close.

inkyatari

I literally just got a message on Facebook from the Joliet, IL Sears store, and they said the reason they're closing the Orland Square Mall (Orland Park, IL) Sears is because the chain sold the spot to AMC theaters.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

thenetwork

Quote from: inkyatari on January 15, 2018, 03:21:34 PM
I literally just got a message on Facebook from the Joliet, IL Sears store, and they said the reason they're closing the Orland Square Mall (Orland Park, IL) Sears is because the chain sold the spot to AMC theaters.

There aren't as many modern movie theaters anymore that I know of that are attached to, or are inside malls, anymore.   Mainly because those that were in the malls in the 60s-80s had 1, 2, or 3 screens, and the mega-multiplexes that sprouted up in the 90s and beyond figured it was cheaper to build stand-alone theaters near malls, but not in them.

I think not having theaters within their complexes anymore put a damper on the amount of foot traffic, leading to dying malls to some extent.   But I have seen a few malls (like the aforementioned Orland Square) trying to bring back movie chains as "anchor stores" because, unlike the Sears, Macy's and JCPs of the world, most multiplex theaters aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Flint1979

Quote from: thenetwork on January 15, 2018, 08:36:15 PM

There aren't as many modern movie theaters anymore that I know of that are attached to, or are inside malls, anymore.   Mainly because those that were in the malls in the 60s-80s had 1, 2, or 3 screens, and the mega-multiplexes that sprouted up in the 90s and beyond figured it was cheaper to build stand-alone theaters near malls, but not in them.

I think not having theaters within their complexes anymore put a damper on the amount of foot traffic, leading to dying malls to some extent.   But I have seen a few malls (like the aforementioned Orland Square) trying to bring back movie chains as "anchor stores" because, unlike the Sears, Macy's and JCPs of the world, most multiplex theaters aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
The Bay City Mall, or I should say Bay City Town Center has a 10 screen movie theater right inside the mall. It was built with the mall though. This same mall removed it's food court to add a PetSmart to the mall. This mall has also lost two anchors (Sears and Target). When GGP owned this mall they listed it as one of their least profitable malls.

inkyatari

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 15, 2018, 09:10:36 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on January 15, 2018, 08:36:15 PM

The Bay City Mall, or I should say Bay City Town Center has a 10 screen movie theater right inside the mall. It was built with the mall though. This same mall removed it's food court to add a PetSmart to the mall. This mall has also lost two anchors (Sears and Target). When GGP owned this mall they listed it as one of their least profitable malls.

In the last 5 years Cinemark opened a huge new theater complex in the Louis Joliet Mall (Joliet, IL,) right next to the food court.  Pretty damn good location.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

cl94

A lot of the movie theaters in New York are still in malls or near them. All of the big theaters in Albany are in malls and both of the major malls have them. Crossgates Mall had 30 screens for a while between the old (80s, now closed) and new (well, 90s) theaters. Big theater in Syracuse is at the big mall, as is one of the big ones in Buffalo. Funny thing is, except for the Crossgates one, most of these are relatively new builds.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

Back in the eightees, Kmart was the place to go to develop the old film before digital technology came by.  They had a great photo lab and great prices, however, we had to limit ourselves to the amount of photos we take on road trips as just to even cover every road sign on the NJ Turnpike would have used over 10 rolls of 36 at least to capture it all.

I still have their old print folder envelopes for my old rail photos from the day plus the big envelope you dropped off in the box at the store.  It is sad they are almost gone, but Walmart and Target gave em more that they can handle.  Plus investing into Sears after they got government bailout was not a good move either, but nothing lasts forever.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ftballfan

Sears stock hit an all time low yesterday, getting as low as 2.75 per share before closing at 2.78, down 11% from open. I think the remainder of stores could be on the chopping block in the near future.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2018, 07:51:09 PM
Back in the eightees, Kmart was the place to go to develop the old film before digital technology came by.  They had a great photo lab and great prices, however, we had to limit ourselves to the amount of photos we take on road trips as just to even cover every road sign on the NJ Turnpike would have used over 10 rolls of 36 at least to capture it all.

I still have their old print folder envelopes for my old rail photos from the day plus the big envelope you dropped off in the box at the store.  It is sad they are almost gone, but Walmart and Target gave em more that they can handle.  Plus investing into Sears after they got government bailout was not a good move either, but nothing lasts forever.

Around here, a local store called Drug Emporium (long gone now) was very popular for developing film because on Wednesday you got double prints for free.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on January 26, 2018, 09:22:29 AM
Sears stock hit an all time low yesterday, getting as low as 2.75 per share before closing at 2.78, down 11% from open. I think the remainder of stores could be on the chopping block in the near future.
I was in Fashion Square Mall in Saginaw for about 5 minutes yesterday around 6pm and the mall was as dead as I've ever seen it. There was maybe 2 other people walking around the inside of the mall in the part I was and Sears was completely dead for business but still remains open. I'm wondering if the Saginaw Sears will be closing, Fashion Square has never lost an anchor other than Wichmann's years ago and that became the food court.

Flint1979

I was in Midland, Michigan last night and decided to go into Kmart just so I could say I've been in a Kmart recently. I walked around the store and was just looking around at stuff, it's a typical Kmart and there was only one other customer that I spotted while in there at about 8:00pm.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 26, 2018, 09:32:56 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2018, 07:51:09 PM

Around here, a local store called Drug Emporium (long gone now) was very popular for developing film because on Wednesday you got double prints for free.
I remember we had one if FL on OBT at FL 528.  They sold coke and coke products for a quarter in their vending machines which made them break even in sales.  This was a Thank You for shopping with us hence sacrificing the profit.  Walmart tried it out with 50 cents later on and 40 cents for Sams Choice  which is Walmart's brand name in store vending machines, but since then they got rid of the machines.
[/quote]

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2018, 11:47:17 AM
I was in Midland, Michigan last night and decided to go into Kmart just so I could say I've been in a Kmart recently. I walked around the store and was just looking around at stuff, it's a typical Kmart and there was only one other customer that I spotted while in there at about 8:00pm.
I bet the nearest Walmart had lines at the check out.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on February 02, 2018, 12:18:49 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2018, 11:47:17 AM
I bet the nearest Walmart had lines at the check out.
I'm not sure I didn't go into the Walmart in Midland last night. I was in Target a little while after I was in Kmart and Target was indeed busier but not real busy. Kmart is in a different part of Midland than Target, Meijer and Walmart, it's probably about 4 miles but Target, Meijer and Walmart are all in the same area. Target is in the Midland Mall and Meijer and Walmart are on the same street just north of the mall. That is the only Kmart within a 50 mile radius of Midland.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

thenetwork

Funny that the day Sears announced another round of closings on Tuesday, once again the eerily empty Sears at the mall in my town survives yet another round.  But Herberger's -- part of the Bon-Ton chain -- is the store that is going out of business.  Well, actually ALL the Bon-Ton stores are closing by the end of summer.

Brandon

Quote from: LM117 on April 19, 2018, 07:06:14 PM
More stores have been given the ol' heave-ho.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-closing-stores-letter-to-workers-2018-4

There are some rather successful malls and shopping areas on that list.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ftballfan

Quote from: Brandon on April 20, 2018, 05:28:55 AM

I'm guessing some of the better malls have tenants lined up to replace Sears. The Woodland Mall (Grand Rapids) Sears closed last year and is in the middle of becoming Von Maur.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on April 20, 2018, 12:49:03 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 20, 2018, 05:28:55 AM

I'm guessing some of the better malls have tenants lined up to replace Sears. The Woodland Mall (Grand Rapids) Sears closed last year and is in the middle of becoming Von Maur.
They just demolished the Sears store about a month ago. I figured something was getting built there.

briantroutman

Quote from: thenetwork on April 19, 2018, 08:40:54 PM
Sears announced another round of closings on Tuesday...ALL the Bon-Ton stores are closing by the end of summer.

Somewhere upthread, I mentioned that my hometown mall (Lycoming - east of Williamsport, PA) lost its Sears at the end of 2017, capping a year in which the mall's Macy's and JCPenney also closed their doors. Following the impending closure of all Bon-Ton stores, Lycoming will be completely without either anchors or department stores–unless you want to count a junky (even by Burlington standards) Burlington.

Add these anchor losses to what I estimate is about a 40% vacancy rate among interior storefronts and the apparent conversion of the former Macy's into some kind of a storage facility, and I can't imagine this mall lasting much longer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.