News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

University of Phoenix Stadium to lose its name

Started by Pink Jazz, April 11, 2017, 07:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 24, 2017, 07:03:34 PM
Anything is better than naming your stadium after a bullshit degree mill set up to channel taxpayer funded student loan money into the pockets of its shareholders.

Here's a pro tip: if you see ads for a "university" during daytime TV, odds are almost 100% it's crap.

Manchester, NH just did this.  Verizon Wireless Arena is now SNHU Arena.  Guy who I work with is a alum of the school back from its days as New Hampshire College.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SP Cook

And the newest renamed stadium is the former Commonwealth Stadium home of the Kentucky Wildcats.  Now "Kroger Field".  $$ involved not immediatly released, supposedly some of the money will be given to various UK departments and the cooperative extension to teach "healthy eating".  Most will be used to construct a new baseball stadium, which will in tern have its naming rights up for sale. 

First naming rights deal in SEC football.

Kroger is now also the "official grocery store of move in day at UK" and the "official pharmacy of UK". 

I suspect most will still call the place Commonwealth Stadium.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 30, 2017, 11:49:03 PM
Manchester, NH just did this.  Verizon Wireless Arena is now SNHU Arena.  Guy who I work with is a alum of the school back from its days as New Hampshire College.

I'll accept that name if any of the SNHU Penmen teams make it home (Unlike the University of Phoenix, the Southern New Hampshire University has an intercollegiate athletics program at NCAA Division II). Since none has done so yet I'd refer to it as (Manchester NH) Civic Arena.
Quote from: SP Cook on May 01, 2017, 01:37:49 PM
And the newest renamed stadium is the former Commonwealth Stadium home of the Kentucky Wildcats.  Now "Kroger Field".  $$ involved not immediatly released, supposedly some of the money will be given to various UK departments and the cooperative extension to teach "healthy eating".  Most will be used to construct a new baseball stadium, which will in tern have its naming rights up for sale. 

Kroger is now also the "official grocery store of move in day at UK" and the "official pharmacy of UK". 

Include me as part of my naming policy, though I may never need to name it, the above one, or almost any sports venue in the USA.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Pink Jazz

What about Fry's Field then (Kroger's Arizona division)?  Of course most people outside Arizona probably know Fry's as an electronics chain, and few outside of Arizona have heard of the grocery store chain (even though there are two Fry's Electronics stores in Arizona).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 02, 2017, 01:12:07 AM

What about Fry's Field then (Kroger's Arizona division)?  Of course most people outside Arizona probably know Fry's as an electronics chain, and few outside of Arizona have heard of the grocery store chain (even though there are two Fry's Electronics stores in Arizona).

Anyone actually have any idea how many brand names Kroger actually goes by?  There are some "Smith's" locations in Arizona also which just so happen to be Kroger stores as well.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2017, 07:17:47 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 02, 2017, 01:12:07 AM

Anyone actually have any idea how many brand names Kroger actually goes by?  There are some "Smith's" locations in Arizona also which just so happen to be Kroger stores as well.

Jay C Foods is owned by Kroger and has several stores in Southern Indiana.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SP Cook

A ton.  Kroger, Baker's, City Market, Dillons, Fry's Gerbes, Jay C, King Soopers, Lily's, Owen's, Pay Less, QFC, Ralph's, Roundy's, Pick 'n Save, Mariano's, Metro Market, Copps, Scott's, Smith's.  Fred Meyer, Food 4 Less (as a franchise), Foods Co, and Ruler.  It also owns Fred Meyer, Barclay, Fox's and Littman jewelers, and the Kwik Shop, Loaf 'n Jug, Smith's Express, Tom Thumb, and Turkey Hill c-store chains.    It also recently bought Harris Teeter, which it is keeping as a seperate deal because it overlaps Kroger's southern footprnt a bit and is a union free company, unlike Kroger.  Time will tell.

Which I don't get.  If you add it all up the supermarket footprint is close to nationwide.   Missing mainly the northeast, the upper midwest and Florida (H-T has one store in Florida because the former owners vacationed there).  National ads cost way less than local ads, and only a reference to stock market documents reveals the common ownership.  If "Kroger" works as a name in 20 states from the south coast to Texas to the lower midwest, why be totally different names (not only different from Kroger but from one another) in California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, and Oregon? 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SP Cook on May 02, 2017, 09:24:07 AM

A ton.  Kroger, Baker's, City Market, Dillons, Fry's Gerbes, Jay C, King Soopers, Lily's, Owen's, Pay Less, QFC, Ralph's, Roundy's, Pick 'n Save, Mariano's, Metro Market, Copps, Scott's, Smith's.  Fred Meyer, Food 4 Less (as a franchise), Foods Co, and Ruler.  It also owns Fred Meyer, Barclay, Fox's and Littman jewelers, and the Kwik Shop, Loaf 'n Jug, Smith's Express, Tom Thumb, and Turkey Hill c-store chains.    It also recently bought Harris Teeter, which it is keeping as a seperate deal because it overlaps Kroger's southern footprnt a bit and is a union free company, unlike Kroger.  Time will tell.

Which I don't get.  If you add it all up the supermarket footprint is close to nationwide.   Missing mainly the northeast, the upper midwest and Florida (H-T has one store in Florida because the former owners vacationed there).  National ads cost way less than local ads, and only a reference to stock market documents reveals the common ownership.  If "Kroger" works as a name in 20 states from the south coast to Texas to the lower midwest, why be totally different names (not only different from Kroger but from one another) in California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, and Oregon?

Really the only answer I ever pinned down was with Ralph's out here in California which I know was it's own thing at one point before being a Kroger brand.  Safeway does the same thing with calling their stores as such most places but calling them Vons in parts of California in addition to Nevada.  I would imagine there is probably an interesting story of buy-outs and mergers throughout the entirety of Kroger...doesn't seem efficient to me to have all those names.

Pink Jazz

Remember that even though many retail stores operate nationwide, many have regional divisions for operational efficiency and to better cater to the regional market. Kroger's different brands all operate as regional divisions (although King Soopers and City Market are considered part of the same division, and Kroger-branded stores are under multiple divisions), but Kroger chose to retain their existing names.

kkt

If "Kroger" works as a name in 20 states from the south coast to Texas to the lower midwest, why be totally different names (not only different from Kroger but from one another) in California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, and Oregon? 

To preserve customers' illusion that they're patronizing a local or regional chain?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on May 02, 2017, 06:20:59 PM
If "Kroger" works as a name in 20 states from the south coast to Texas to the lower midwest, why be totally different names (not only different from Kroger but from one another) in California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, and Oregon? 

To preserve customers' illusion that they're patronizing a local or regional chain?

Must be since grocery retail seems to be the one segment clinging to that theory.  Really there is no benefit to the consumer since the increases in advertising something like that brings just gets passed into product. 

Pink Jazz

Another name idea: Cold Stone Park. Cold Stone Creamery is based in Scottsdale, and they have pretty good ice cream. I really like their ice cream cakes, especially their Strawberry Passion (a cake with strawberry ice cream and red velvet cake).

woodpusher

I read a good letter to the editor (don't remember whether it was Pittsburgh or Washington DC), suggesting "Taxpayers' Stadium," complete with a statue of the humble taxpayer in front of the stadium.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.