News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Newberg-Dundee Bypass

Started by Bickendan, July 02, 2017, 05:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 24, 2017, 03:41:59 AM
Can't find it anymore but I found a video on the ribbon cutting ceremony a few days past and I'll the url if I can find it again. Had some serious parts, humor, and rambling about the transportation package with a little Grande Donde music.

Curious if it's still kicking around ODOT's public FTP server. I know the photos are. I'll have to dig through it a bit once I'm off work.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

bing101

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: bing101 on January 06, 2018, 12:15:43 PM
http://www.kgw.com/mobile/article/news/long-awaited-newberg-dundee-bypass-opens-saturday/283-505251048

Here is an update.

I traveled on the bypass this afternoon. I took over 1,200 photos on and around the bypass, so I'm still looking through them and seeing which ones are good enough to post. Once I do, I'll post them here and add my commentary. (I also took photos down 99W and 18 near Dayton to see if any portion along that road acknowledges the bypass or 18 cosigned with 99W. Spoiler alert: They don't.)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on January 07, 2018, 12:02:06 AM
http://www.kgw.com/mobile/article/news/long-awaited-newberg-dundee-bypass-opens-saturday/283-505251048

Here is an update.

I traveled on the bypass this afternoon. I took over 1,200 photos on and around the bypass, so I'm still looking through them and seeing which ones are good enough to post. Once I do, I'll post them here and add my commentary. (I also took photos down 99W and 18 near Dayton to see if any portion along that road acknowledges the bypass or 18 cosigned with 99W. Spoiler alert: They don't.)
I'm looking forward to see the pictures. 
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 07, 2018, 02:15:54 AM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on January 07, 2018, 12:02:06 AM

Here is an update.

I'm looking forward to see the pictures.

Thanks! I'm almost done selecting them, but I'm up to 58 and counting -- there was a lot to cover! Debating whether I should start a new thread like I did with the Play on the Bypass photos or spam this one. Maybe @Bickendan can make a suggestion on what to do. Edit: Never mind, I have a solution. More to come.

Hurricane Rex

So I've heard some people complain about how people go to slow (A few are saying 45mph), get into the wrong lane, and won't let you merge or don't pay attention when they use the bypass. As I have never driven on this before (despite me probably living the closest, stupid school), can anyone confirm or deny this?

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Also, here is the ribbon cutting ceremony video that I mentioned a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1wMTfSuY5M&t=5s

Running till I die.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 08, 2018, 11:55:48 AM
So I've heard some people complain about how people go to slow (A few are saying 45mph), get into the wrong lane, and won't let you merge or don't pay attention when they use the bypass. As I have never driven on this before (despite me probably living the closest, stupid school), can anyone confirm or deny this?

I drove the bypass on opening day. So far, everything seemed to be going smoothly. Didn't have any issues.

I think those people like to complain. So what if they're going 45 in a 55 zone. I'd much rather go a consistent 45 through rural farmland than go 35 through the outskirts of Newberg, 25 in downtown, and 30 just past downtown to get to the 50 zone just outside town -- only to hit the merge just outside of Dundee and wait 20-30 more minutes. Plus, you'd have to go through at least 10 more stoplights along the old way vs. the new way, further increasing time distance.

Also, I have no idea why people are complaining about "getting into the wrong lane" or "not letting people merge" since the bypass is only one lane each way for pretty much its entire length.

sparker

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 08, 2018, 11:58:41 AM
Also, here is the ribbon cutting ceremony video that I mentioned a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1wMTfSuY5M&t=5s

Guy on the lower right sure looks like he's enjoying himself!  :angry:  Maybe he's just listening to the speaker prattle on & on about something......or nothing!

JasonOfORoads

Okay, so instead of posting the 80 or so photos I decided best showed off the new bypass and made a blog post about it. Check it out at http://blog.beaverstateroads.net/2018/01/07/newberg-dundee-bypass-opening-day/. Here's a preview of the westbound photos:

A new sign gantry over 99W just north of the Springbrook Rd. intersection, put up sometime in 2017. The sign implies that OR-18 follows Springbrook and a slight portion of OR-219 before turning onto the bypass. Also, 99W still goes through Dundee, but ODOT omits it from the 99W southbound sign to encourage use of the bypass.

Another overhead gantry on OR-219 south for the upcoming turn onto the bypass proper.

Yet another overhead gantry stating the distance until the end of the bypass, 4 miles. Also, the bypass features ODOT's famous "SPEED" signs.

A reassurance shield for OR-18 near MP 59. This is the first ground-mounted reassurance marker for OR-18 I've seen – not even temporary markers are placed along the other streets, save for the overhead signs.

Approaching the viaduct portion of the bypass. A landing for the future eastbound lanes can be seen on the left.

The Chehalem Creek Bridge. Compare to how it looked in September.

Just past the Chehalem Creek bridge, near where the East Dundee Interchange will be. According to the December 2014 project update newsletter, the lighter pavement is the Dundee portion of the contract fulfilled by Hamilton Construction of Springfield, Oregon. The darker half is the Newberg portion, paved by Wildish Standard Paving of Eugene. Compare to how it looked in September, including a close-up of the pavement change.

A close-up of the SE 8th St. overpass, which also passes over right-of-way set aside for the future eastbound lanes. Compare to how it looked in September.

A close-up of the "Expressway Ends"  sign.

Nearing the SE Parks Dr. overpass, also known as "Fulquartz Loading Road" . A police turnout is on the left. As with the 8th St. overpass, right-of-way has been set aside for future widening to 4 lanes. Compare to how it looked in September.

Curving towards the temporary end of the expressway over a couple of Hess Creek tributaries. When finished, the bypass will instead curve leftward towards the existing McMinnville Bypass portion of OR-18. Compare to how it looked in September.

The [OR-99W and railroad overpass] has had the finishing touches put on it, compared to a photo at this same spot in September. It's real purdy now.

Signs on the mounted gantry in Dundee. The rightmost sign is the only indication that OR-18 is cosigned with 99W. See it here in September when it was empty.

The end of the bypass. Two right turn lanes head south on OR-99W, merging shortly after the turn.

Hurricane Rex

Springbrook road is listed as hwy 39 in ODOT's 2016 TVT tables. No signage though.

Hwy 39 is SR 18 by the common tongue.

Running till I die.

Ace10

JasonOfORoads, I loved your photos and the blog you posted. I especially loved the photo of the cyclist riding on the shoulder. When the weather gets nicer, I want to ride down to McMinnville and on the new bypass.

From your photos it looks like you can only turn right at the southern end of the bypass onto OR 99W south. I figured that would've been a full interchange so people could still use the bypass southbound to get to Dundee, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Also, any idea what that light-up sign between the right turn signals says when lit? I figure it displays a "No Turn on Red" if pedestrians are crossing, but that's just a guess.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Ace10 on January 11, 2018, 05:19:53 PM
JasonOfORoads, I loved your photos and the blog you posted. I especially loved the photo of the cyclist riding on the shoulder. When the weather gets nicer, I want to ride down to McMinnville and on the new bypass.

From your photos it looks like you can only turn right at the southern end of the bypass onto OR 99W south. I figured that would've been a full interchange so people could still use the bypass southbound to get to Dundee, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Also, any idea what that light-up sign between the right turn signals says when lit? I figure it displays a "No Turn on Red" if pedestrians are crossing, but that's just a guess.
You can turn left (north) there as there is a 99W North picture Jason posted with Dundee as the control city. The light up signage I can't answer for you.

Also, Jason how often are you going to post to your blog because I'm excited to see future photos of yours?

Running till I die.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Ace10 on January 11, 2018, 05:19:53 PM

Thanks for the compliment! Rex answered the question about the turn lane, but here's evidence that I could turn onto 99W North. Also, I brightened up the light-up sign in Photoshop to see if I could make out any text inside:

It does indeed read "No Turn on Red". It would make sense if it was illuminated when pedestrians crossed. I don't remember it being on when I was stopped at the light, but I also wasn't paying attention.

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 11, 2018, 08:28:38 PM
You can turn left (north) there as there is a 99W North picture Jason posted with Dundee as the control city. The light up signage I can't answer for you.

Also, Jason how often are you going to post to your blog because I'm excited to see future photos of yours?

Thank you very much! I'll post as I'm able to -- life does get in the way, and I tend to get bogged down in research, but I do have a lot of photos in my archive that I could put up. For example, I took a little drive along US-26 from Gresham to Rhododendron back in October to find old highway alignments, which could easily get turned into a blog post. I've also been writing a post about the history of the Newberg-Dundee Bypass itself. There's just a lot of info to wade through. When I post something, I'll announce it in an appropriate thread or create a new one.

mrsman

So both Pacific Hwy and the bypass are signed as 99W?  This seems highly confusing.  Do they intend to take 99W off Pacific Hwy or to somehow introduce a banner route like Biz. 99W or Bypass 99W on one of the routes?

Ace10

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 11, 2018, 08:28:38 PM

Ah, sweet! If I had just looked one more picture up... Thanks for pointing that out. I would have hoped ODOT wouldn't have forced people to not use the bypass if they wanted to access Dundee from the north (without having to make a U-turn).

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on January 12, 2018, 12:13:06 AM
Thanks for the compliment! Rex answered the question about the turn lane, but here's evidence that I could turn onto 99W North. Also, I brightened up the light-up sign in Photoshop to see if I could make out any text inside:

It does indeed read "No Turn on Red". It would make sense if it was illuminated when pedestrians crossed. I don't remember it being on when I was stopped at the light, but I also wasn't paying attention.

Cool, that's what I figured. I don't imagine pedestrians would be on this stretch of highway too often, but it's good ODOT took them into consideration and gave them extra protection when crossing--if that's indeed when the sign illuminates.

Quote from: mrsman on January 12, 2018, 12:58:22 AM
So both Pacific Hwy and the bypass are signed as 99W?  This seems highly confusing.  Do they intend to take 99W off Pacific Hwy or to somehow introduce a banner route like Biz. 99W or Bypass 99W on one of the routes?

I wouldn't think so. All the BGS's in the photos referring to the bypass read "TO OR 99W" which means the bypass carries traffic to 99W but doesn't carry 99W itself. Bypass 99W would be neat, but the separate route number (18) seems to serve that purpose already while also continuing west/south of McMinnville to the coast. It makes sense for through traffic to the coast to follow one route number (18) and if 18 is cosigned with 99W between the two bypass segments between Dundee and Dayton that would be awesome. I'm actually kind of surprised there's not a control city for Lincoln City or Oregon Coast at the north end of the bypass, considering there's one (for Seaside) at the north end of OR 217 for traffic heading onto US 26 westbound.

Hurricane Rex

Google maps says it's OR 99W but actually OR 18 is signed on the route (see jason's pictures). There are to 99W signs along it at the east end.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

JasonOfORoads

No, the bypass is not a bannered 99W, or even signed as 99W. 99W does appear on the BGSs, but only as part of "WEST OR-18 TO OR-99W", and only westbound (southerly). Eastbound, the BGS turning onto the bypass reads "EAST OR-18 TO OR-219" and the one on the bypass only shows OR-219. The bypass itself is signed as OR-18, as evidenced by the solitary OR-18 reassurance marker each way.

The long term plans* call for the southernmost part of the full bypass to connect directly with OR-18 just north of Dayton, hence the bypass being called OR-18. There will be an interchange that connects to 99W via a connector road, but the two highways won't directly connect until Rex Hill, just NE of Newberg on the county line -- and even then, full movements won't be allowed due to the angle of intersection.. 99W will stay on the old highway, probably because it will still serve a purpose as a historical local feeder for the "LaMcDunberg" area.

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall during that discussion, though. Curious what proposals were floated.

* You may need to rotate the map 90° clockwise to view it properly. #@%$! ODOT...

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 12, 2018, 01:37:16 AM
Google maps says it's OR 99W but actually OR 18 is signed on the route (see jason's pictures). There are to 99W signs along it at the east end.

LG-TP260

Google Maps is wrong? This is my surprised face:  :-|

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on January 12, 2018, 02:06:40 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 12, 2018, 01:37:16 AM

LG-TP260

Google Maps is wrong? This is my surprised face:  :-|
I can relate to that. It also doesn't have traffic levels yet on the route despite being a primary route.    Earth to Google:  :pan:

Running till I die.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Ace10 on January 12, 2018, 01:35:47 AM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on January 12, 2018, 12:13:06 AM

Cool, that's what I figured. I don't imagine pedestrians would be on this stretch of highway too often, but it's good ODOT took them into consideration and gave them extra protection when crossing--if that's indeed when the sign illuminates.

The bypass actually pops out just south of what would be considered the "main stretch" of downtown. There are office buildings, coffee shops, vineyard shops, brewpubs, and even a dispensary down there. One recurring theme I've read about in the bypass' planning documents is that Newberg, Dundee etc. want to makeover their downtown core. In fact, the Yamhill County Parkway Committee was formed in 1988 with the intent of advocating turning 99W and OR-18 into a "parkway", which would allow traffic and pedestrians to co-mingle more effectively. Given Yamhill County's wine tourism boom, I would not be surprised if this started soon.

Quote from: Ace10 on January 12, 2018, 01:35:47 AM
I'm actually kind of surprised there's not a control city for Lincoln City or Oregon Coast at the north end of the bypass, considering there's one (for Seaside) at the north end of OR 217 for traffic heading onto US 26 westbound.

I think there are just too many closer destinations going south/west. I think we'll probably see some sort of supplemental sign that says "Oregon Coast / Keep Left" once Phase 2 is built and opens near Rex Hill, but the primary control cities for the bypass will be Dundee and McMinnville.

bookem

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 08, 2018, 11:55:48 AM

I drove the bypass both directions on Sunday, and the only potential I see for getting in the wrong lane is heading eastbound where it meets 219 - there's no "To 99W" or anything else indicating you need to bear left to stay on the bypass (the left turn lane sign only lists Newberg, not Sherwood/Portland).

nexus73

The bypass should be 99W and the original route Business 99W.  That is too simple and logical for ODOT to comprehend apparently.  Never confuse the driver!  It is bad enough that we have so many nuts behind the wheel who are easily distracted without adding "Guess Where This Road Goes!" into the mix.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: nexus73 on January 12, 2018, 10:58:13 PM
The bypass should be 99W and the original route Business 99W.  That is too simple and logical for ODOT to comprehend apparently.  Never confuse the driver!  It is bad enough that we have so many nuts behind the wheel who are easily distracted without adding "Guess Where This Road Goes!" into the mix.

Rick
Agreed until it has a direct connection with OR 18. In that case it would be wierd to call it OR 99W so they are planning ahead (for once). Knowing them, it will be 30 years before that happens. At least phase 2 is in design.

Also a too Portland/I-5 sign would help.

Running till I die.

bookem

Considering 18 already served as a bypass of McMinnville long before work on the N-D bypass even began, it makes sense to sign it on the new bypass segments as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.