News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Are there any freeways that are dangerous to travel due to crime?

Started by tribar, August 04, 2017, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

I saw a post in another thread about how very few freeways are dangerous to travel solely due to crime. What would be some of the few exceptions? I'm mainly referring to US freeways but feel free to post non US ones as well.

ET21

Any Chicago freeway, people will randomly shoot at you. Not even joking, there's probably a story about it once a week and could happen at any time.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

1995hoo

I seem to recall 25 or 30 years ago AAA warned people to avoid I-295 in Florida after a string of incidents involving rocks being thrown at cars from overpasses.

There was a period in the late 1980s when what is now DC-295 had a bad reputation because of someone shooting at motorists from the side of the road.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

plain

There have been a few shootings on I-95 in Richmond this year as well. Sickening
Newark born, Richmond bred

Max Rockatansky

I-10 in Phoenix had an issue with a sniper a couple years back shooting at people from overpasses.

Rothman

Springfield, MA had a problem with kids throwing rocks or shooting at I-91 about 15 years ago.  Springfield is still a pit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

Route 168 in Virginia Beach looks like one. I just got off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and was trying to follow U.S. 60 to I-64, and I ended up on 168 for some reason and I didn't like it.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2017, 01:45:41 PM
I seem to recall 25 or 30 years ago AAA warned people to avoid I-295 in Florida after a string of incidents involving rocks being thrown at cars from overpasses.

There was a period in the late 1980s when what is now DC-295 had a bad reputation because of someone shooting at motorists from the side of the road.
Yes it was i295.. The West Beltway but back then there was no East Beltway.

There was a problem with kids throwing stuff off overpasses onto cars..
One guy crashed off the road into to a swampy wooded area adjacent to the road.. They found his car and remains something like 12 years later when doing road construction

LGMS428

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ET21 on August 04, 2017, 12:39:45 PM
Any Chicago freeway, people will randomly shoot at you. Not even joking, there's probably a story about it once a week and could happen at any time.
Why haven't I heard about this?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

realjd

Quote from: epzik8 on August 04, 2017, 05:38:37 PM
Route 168 in Virginia Beach looks like one. I just got off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and was trying to follow U.S. 60 to I-64, and I ended up on 168 for some reason and I didn't like it.

That doesn't make it dangerous to drive down. It may be a bad or sketchy part of town but you're not going to have problems driving down a major highway.

Buffaboy

Quote from: Rothman on August 04, 2017, 03:51:12 PM
Springfield, MA had a problem with kids throwing rocks or shooting at I-91 about 15 years ago.  Springfield is still a pit.

I have an aunt and uncle there, for some reason they don't mind that place.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

7/8

Maybe the 407 if you consider the high toll rates a crime! :bigass:
Or how about Circle Drive in Saskatoon with a 90 km/h limit and photo enforcement, I consider that a crime :-D

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 04, 2017, 08:59:05 PM
Quote from: ET21 on August 04, 2017, 12:39:45 PM
Why haven't I heard about this?

Because you're in Boston, I wouldn't expect you to know?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bing101

I-580 , I-880, I-80 in the Bay Area been mentioned for having crimes on freeways at some point.

All Los Angeles Freeway been mentioned at some point for having crimes due to car chases in the area.

sparker

Quote from: bing101 on August 05, 2017, 12:36:17 PM
I-580 , I-880, I-80 in the Bay Area been mentioned for having crimes on freeways at some point.

The East Bay has had more than its share of incidents -- mostly car-to-car shootings -- in the past couple of years; I-80 from Richmond up to the CA 4 interchange seems to crop up as a site for this repeatedly, as does CA 4 itself along the stretch through Pittsburg and Antioch in Contra Costa County.  Also, I-880 near the Oakland Coliseum "hosted" several incidents of what could best be described as "coordinated road rage" where either drivers or motorcycle riders would harangue other drivers on that freeway.  They had enough sense (or planning) to dissipate before Oakland police or the CHP could arrive on the scene.

mhking

Every time I go home, my parents implore me NOT to drive into Chicago at night -- especially on the Ryan or the Ike -- for fear of getting shot. Then again, as a journalist, I've driven my share of dangerous streets around the nation over the years.

bing101

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on August 05, 2017, 12:34:47 AM
Any black neighborhood. Because black people are criminals.

I thought freeways were supposed to have eradicated those neighborhoods.  :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

I think that any freeway's danger level for crime is a transient situation. I learned about it all too well where I grew up. My first elementary school I went to in town was renamed for a teacher who died after someone lobbed a boulder off an overpass onto her passing vehicle on I-93 in Andover. This was early 80's. Things like that are why you've got those large fences on almost every overpass.

US 89

Quote from: SectorZ on August 06, 2017, 06:21:13 PM
I think that any freeway's danger level for crime is a transient situation. I learned about it all too well where I grew up. My first elementary school I went to in town was renamed for a teacher who died after someone lobbed a boulder off an overpass onto her passing vehicle on I-93 in Andover. This was early 80's. Things like that are why you've got those large fences on almost every overpass.

I think the fences are more to discourage people from falling or jumping off the bridges, although they do serve that purpose.

myosh_tino

Quote from: sparker on August 05, 2017, 02:25:02 PM
Also, I-880 near the Oakland Coliseum "hosted" several incidents of what could best be described as "coordinated road rage" where either drivers or motorcycle riders would harangue other drivers on that freeway.  They had enough sense (or planning) to dissipate before Oakland police or the CHP could arrive on the scene.

I haven't heard of the "coordinated road rage" on I-880 near the Oakland Coliseum but I have seen several incidents of "sideshows" where a large group will shut down all lanes of traffic so some morons can spin their tires and do doughnuts in the middle of the freeway.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

SectorZ

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 06, 2017, 06:30:03 PM

I think the fences are more to discourage people from falling or jumping off the bridges, although they do serve that purpose.

Although I was very young when it happened, I know in Massachusetts the impetus for putting fencing up was to protect against missiles being rained down on passing vehicles. Then again jumpers can qualify as such. Maybe the ideals behind them vary from state to state.

roadman

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 06, 2017, 06:30:03 PM

The DOT vernacular in most states for those is "anti-missile fences".  And, yes, they were adopted to prevent idiots from dropping objects onto the road, not to discourage people from jumping off the bridges.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.