News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Toys 'R' Us to file bankruptcy

Started by LM117, September 18, 2017, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I don't play just outside of the store. I play in other places, like restaurants.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jeffandnicole

I went into my local Toys R Us yesterday, probably for the last time.  We had a $10 gift card laying around...that's been laying around for several years...so we finally decided to use it. 

I have to admit, it is a bittersweet moment.  While the store inside had been remodeled many years ago, I still remember exactly how you would walk in, where the Legos were, etc.  The 'Entrance' (with the backwards R) sign over the door is probably original to when the store opened, which I believe was in the late 70's or early 80's.  (Fortunately GSV was in the parking lot recently: https://goo.gl/maps/CDDGZigHH7M2 )

FWIW, we got a game.  Normally $11.99; 10% off; $11.50 total with tax.  $10 gift card.  $1.50 cash.  And we walked out for the last time.

dvferyance

So no more Geoffrey the giraffe? These iconic store closings are getting to be ridiculous soon will be hearing that Ford is going out of business.

DaBigE

Quote from: dvferyance on April 02, 2018, 09:25:31 PM
So no more Geoffrey the giraffe? These iconic store closings are getting to be ridiculous soon will be hearing that Ford is going out of business.

:rofl:

GM and Ford will merge before it ever comes to that. Dodge, on the other hand...they're like the hot potato no one wants to be caught holding.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kkt

Quote from: DaBigE on April 02, 2018, 11:41:20 PM

GM and Ford will merge before it ever comes to that. Dodge, on the other hand...they're like the hot potato no one wants to be caught holding.

Dodge isn't so bad.  It's Chrysler that's the hot potato.

LM117

Quote from: kkt on April 03, 2018, 12:43:56 AM

I still think it was a stupid move by Chrysler to make Ram it's own brand rather than keeping the trucks under the Dodge label. People still call the trucks "Dodge Ram"  instead of just "Ram" . They're not fooling anybody.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

DaBigE

Quote from: LM117 on April 03, 2018, 07:34:49 AM
Quote from: kkt on April 03, 2018, 12:43:56 AM

I still think it was a stupid move by Chrysler to make Ram it's own brand rather than keeping the trucks under the Dodge label. People still call the trucks "Dodge Ram"  instead of just "Ram" . They're not fooling anybody.

Just like Charter...doesn't matter if it's Spectrum or Spectrum Enterprise...everyone I've heard still knows them as Charter. With all the name shifting, at some point one has to wonder what you're trying to hide.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

vdeane

You hear more about Spectrum in New York, where it went straight to Spectrum from RoadRunner without the Charter branding.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Big John

And TimeWarner is now Spectrum with a merger.

vdeane

RoadRunner was Time Warner's branding for internet service.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LM117

Quote from: vdeane on April 03, 2018, 02:32:22 PM
RoadRunner was Time Warner's branding for internet service.

Yep. I used to have it in the mid-2000's when I lived in NC.

cjk374

We went to the Toys R Us in Monroe today. This store will close June 30th. As reported by others, the going out of business sale isn't much of a sale...40% off of many items. Baby supplies not included.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ftballfan

Drove past the Babies R Us in Ann Arbor today. They had a sign saying "Last 8 Days", which would make their last day April 29 (this store was in the first announced round of closings)

cjk374

I forgot to mention...the Monroe store has signs up on the front of the store on big yellow banners:  GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.

Inside the front foyer of the store on hot-pink pieces of paper: NOW HIRING.  :confused:  :eyebrow:

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on April 22, 2018, 11:03:31 AM
I forgot to mention...the Monroe store has signs up on the front of the store on big yellow banners:  GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.

Inside the front foyer of the store on hot-pink pieces of paper: NOW HIRING.  :confused:  :eyebrow:

Employees are bailing out so they need temps to do the work. Trane is moving out of town here, but they are still hiring temps
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on April 22, 2018, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on April 22, 2018, 11:03:31 AM

Employees are bailing out so they need temps to do the work. Trane is moving out of town here, but they are still hiring temps

I agree with you...but how difficult will it be for them to get any help with the banners outside? It can't help.

kkt

Someone who's unemployed might appreciate work, even for just a couple of months.

tchafe1978

If the inventory is being sold by liquidators it might be the liquidation company doing the hiring.

dvferyance

What I don't get is why are they only closing in the United States? That is were they were founded and were there headquarters are. It's like Ikea closing all their stores in Sweden and leaving everything else open. So where is the corporate office going to be after this? Canada? Australia? This makes me believe they will be back in a few years.

US71

Quote from: dvferyance on June 01, 2018, 07:02:09 PM
What I don't get is why are they only closing in the United States? That is were they were founded and were there headquarters are. It's like Ikea closing all their stores in Sweden and leaving everything else open. So where is the corporate office going to be after this? Canada? Australia? This makes me believe they will be back in a few years.

They are also closing in Canada and the UK.

I'm sure someone will buy the rights to the name.  Didn't I hear Kay Bee Toys was coming back?

HazMatt

Quote from: dvferyance on June 01, 2018, 07:02:09 PM

I assume each country has different rules on bankruptcy.  I read that the Canada stores were bought by another company.  UK/US didn't have any buyers.

adventurernumber1

It looks like Toys 'Я' Us is about dead now. I actually had no idea it was this close to complete death until I watched this video just now:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OPvx1nhSM&t=628s

I haven't quite been keeping up with the scoop on Toys 'Я' Us since they filed for bankruptcy back in the Fall, so that's why this news came as a surprise to me. I can't believe it's already all about over. It is sad to hear this indeed, as I remembered loving Toys 'Я' Us as a kid.

I do regret that I didn't keep up with this news, because even though I haven't regularly played with toys for at least a decade, I would have picked up a couple of soveniers from this childhood store before all the good stuff was all gone. It seems to be too late for that now, though, at this point.

Toys 'Я' Us will always live on in my memory, and they had a good run. In that video I watched, I think it said Toys 'Я' Us had been operating for about 70 years. They had a long, good run until the end (the last decade), and they brought happiness to a lot of people over the years, so that's good.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US71

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on June 24, 2018, 03:39:45 PM
It looks like Toys 'Я' Us is about dead now. I actually had no idea it was this close to complete death until I watched this video just now:

I heard on the news that the end of the month is when they will lock their doors for good.

vdeane

I've noticed that traffic is a LOT better than usual on Wolf Road heading home from work; wouldn't be surprised if this is why.  The video's point about holiday sales certainly explains why last December had far better traffic than December 2016.

LM117

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.