I Street Bridge (Sacramento & West Sacramento) closure/replacement

Started by TheStranger, September 25, 2017, 02:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Just saw this on the city of Sacramento's website:

https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Public-Works/Engineering-Services/Projects/Current-Projects/I-Street-Bridge-Replacement

IIRC before the Tower Bridge was built in the mid-1930s, this bridge actually also carried US 40 and US 99W between Sacramento and West Sacramento.  It will remain in use once the replacement road bridge is built a mile north, but for rail only.

As part of the project, historic Route 24 (and later Route 70/99) Jibboom Street would be removed from I Street north to Railyards Boulevard.

No timetable yet on when the new bridge would be built though
Chris Sampang

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on September 25, 2017, 09:46:59 AM
This is not SR 275.

You're right, that was the Tower Bridge.  Earlier morning and I wasn't paying attention, deleted my previous comment.

Anyways, I actually had a picture of the I Street bridge in my photo log for old Sacramento.  Really it is surprising that the bridge has remained open to automobile traffic as long as it has.  With all the open land around the rail yards it makes more sense for a more modern structure to be built in its place. 

IMG_4592 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Really that whole section of the Sacramento River north of Old Sac to I-5 could use some work.  There are some historic structures along the river front that could use some rehab, maybe a pedestrian path is what is needed to push for something like that? 

jrouse

Yes, this project has been in the works for a long time.  The bridge is actually owned by the railroad, not the city.

The roadway on that bridge is very narrow.  I won't miss it.

sparker

What was "fun" about that bridge was that, in pre I-5 days, the junction of CA 16 and CA 99 & 70 (the latter on Jibboom Street and formerly SSR 24) was right at the east end of the bridge; the traffic level using both the bridge and that intersection, at least in the mid-60's, was high enough that the eastbound backup went over the bridge and down the west approach into West Sacramento.  Since the bridge couldn't be opened if there were any vehicles on the swing span (automotive or rail [on the lower deck]), over-height vessels would simple have to wait until things cleared out -- effectively meaning that during commute times (this was the major route from Sacramento to Woodland and northerly points on old US 99W) the bridge just couldn't be opened.  I've been on that bridge when a train passed underneath; it always seemed like the old structure would just shake itself apart!  But it was built to handle the weight of SP's largest articulated steam locomotives (the 4-8-8-2 AC-class cab-forwards), so despite the vibrations to the contrary, the structure will likely continue to be used as a rail facility for some time to come.  But for cross-river car & truck traffic, it's the end of an era! 

kkt

Any idea when the old bridge will be closed?  If time permits, I'd like to drive across it once more.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bing101

http://www.kcra.com/article/wanted-architects-to-redesign-aging-west-sacramento-bridge/15919228

Note the article is mentioning that the New I street bridge in Sacramento is estimated to open in 2022.  Note the Original I street bridge opened in 1911.

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

ClassicHasClass

Max Rockatansky

At least the current bridge will still be around.  It's not a looker but definitely unique enough that it is worth seeing if you are into bridge collecting.

Concrete Bob

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.