News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

The Exit 11-16 work is moving at warp speed by ARDOT standards. Most of the new concrete on the southbound side is already down and I expect traffic to be shunted over to it by March at the latest.

capt.ron

Quote from: Road Hog on December 29, 2017, 12:26:24 AM
The Exit 11-16 work is moving at warp speed by ARDOT standards. Most of the new concrete on the southbound side is already down and I expect traffic to be shunted over to it by March at the latest.
It definitely IS! The southbound lacks just a bit of concrete where they are going to put the center concrete divider and that's it. When the southbound side opens (like you said, by March is definitely likely unless we get hit with lots of precip), ARDOT will more than likely route all traffic to the new side just like they did in the southern part of Jacksonville and then rip out the northbound lanes (and the temp. north asphalt lanes). The projected completion is Fall, 2018 as per idrivearkansas.com and the signs posted at the beginning of the project areas.
Hopefully, Trump can get the infrastructure thing going and get more highways upgraded / repaired.

Road Hog

I think the 2-step process being used takes a lot less time. When I-30 to Benton was rebuilt, they used 3 steps – they built the center part first and then did each outside lane 1 at a time. It seemed to take forever.

US71

ARDOT has announced the Future I-57 Designation Event to be held Friday, February 23rd  11:30 a.m. at Harding University  American Heritage Building, Founders Room in Searcy, Arkansas.

If I'd known sooner, I would have tried to go, but those gatherings are usually intended for the "suits" and not the general public. I wonder if this means the "Future I-57" signs are ready to be posted?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on February 22, 2018, 03:12:33 PM
ARDOT has announced the Future I-57 Designation Event to be held Friday, February 23rd  11:30 a.m. at Harding University  American Heritage Building, Founders Room in Searcy, Arkansas.

If I'd known sooner, I would have tried to go, but those gatherings are usually intended for the "suits" and not the general public. I wonder if this means the "Future I-57" signs are ready to be posted?
'Bout damn time! :-D :bigass:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

capt.ron

I bet after the event, the signs will most likely be posted. As of now (2/22/2018) I have not seen any "future I-57" signs posted, and I travel between Searcy and NLR about weekly on the highway.

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on February 22, 2018, 04:29:10 PM
I bet after the event, the signs will most likely be posted. As of now (2/22/2018) I have not seen any "future I-57" signs posted, and I travel between Searcy and NLR about weekly on the highway.

I may have to go look this weekend, or next

The Ghostbuster

Have they decided what they are going to do with future 57 between Walnut Ridge, AR and Poplar Bluff, MO? Or are those decisions still years away from happening?

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 22, 2018, 04:46:15 PM
Have they decided what they are going to do with future 57 between Walnut Ridge, AR and Poplar Bluff, MO? Or are those decisions still years away from happening?
No one seems to know.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on February 22, 2018, 04:54:02 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 22, 2018, 04:46:15 PM
No one seems to know.
IMO, I'm sure Arkansas would be able to find funding for it (if it gets that far) but good luck getting anything out of Missouri in its current financial situation.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Tomahawkin

IMO, I hope they get started hardcore on this by the end of the year. Outside the ridge North of Jonesboro the land from Newport to 57s current terminus is relatively flat, and hopefully the corridor could be built in 5 years. That is going to make 57 an important route for commerce from Chicago to Dallas and points south to Mexico. This corridor will help the economy in NE. Arkansas and may bring in companies who could relocate from up north...

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 23, 2018, 07:34:08 PM
IMO, I hope they get started hardcore on this by the end of the year. Outside the ridge North of Jonesboro the land from Newport to 57s current terminus is relatively flat, and hopefully the corridor could be built in 5 years. That is going to make 57 an important route for commerce from Chicago to Dallas and points south to Mexico. This corridor will help the economy in NE. Arkansas and may bring in companies who could relocate from up north...

I'm not holding my breath.

Tomahawkin

I was being optimistic in a sense, having seen the 15 year sprawl, and development in Northwest Arkansas, along IH 49. But in realization, A majority of Northeast Arkansas and even the Memphis area still looks the same as it did 30 years ago even with the developments of Both future interstates 57 and 269.

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 23, 2018, 10:10:19 PM
I was being optimistic in a sense, having seen the 15 year sprawl, and development in Northwest Arkansas, along IH 49. But in realization, A majority of Northeast Arkansas and even the Memphis area still looks the same as it did 30 years ago even with the developments of Both future interstates 57 and 269.

I think the I-57 designation was more for political points. 

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 02:42:28 PM
At this point, the question is which MO-AR connection will get done first; I-49 or I-57.
(AR-MO?  Nah, I like "MO-AR" better; much funnier.)

Or, to paraphrase: Much MO-AR humor... (and my guess is 57 gets done before 49)

Tomahawkin

I would believe so. I don't think lH 49 gets completed before 2025 and IH 69 before 2030 respectively...

Revive 755

Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on February 24, 2018, 11:45:04 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 02:42:28 PM
At this point, the question is which MO-AR connection will get done first; I-49 or I-57.
(AR-MO?  Nah, I like "MO-AR" better; much funnier.)

Or, to paraphrase: Much MO-AR humor... (and my guess is 57 gets done before 49)

If only the part of the interstate crossing the border is being considered and not having the full corridor in Arkansas completed, I'd say I-49, as it is at least on MoDOT's radar as a project awaiting funding.  For I-57 I don't believe it has even been finalized where it would cross the border.

Road Hog

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 23, 2018, 10:10:19 PM
I'm surprised how Jonesboro has taken off in the last decade or two. Even without an interstate connection until a few years ago when I-555 was finally designated, and also without a four-lane connection to Little Rock until AR 226 was completed. Now that both are in place the Jonesboro area should grow even faster. It's really the only place in the whole eastern half of the state (that is, wholly east of 30/67) that's doing well. All the other growth has taken place in Central and NWA.

Tomahawkin

Having lived in Jonesboro for 10 years. That town is really Backwards! Its the county seat of a dry county. The only thing to do there is get bit by mosquitoes. I have to take back my statements about future economical and commerce in that area...

hotdogPi

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 25, 2018, 02:05:13 PM
Having lived in Jonesboro for 10 years. That town is really Backwards! Its the county seat of a dry county. The only thing to do there is get bit by mosquitoes. I have to take back my statements about future economical and commerce in that area...

As if a county being wet or dry is the only thing that matters? There's much more to the economy and commerce than just alcohol (I assume you don't mean "dry" literally).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled number: 14
Expected lowest untraveled number tomorrow: 25

Bobby5280

There is a price to be paid for a county having a "dry" no-alcohol-allowed policy. Many young people, particularly college educated professionals will not take jobs in such locations. Other young people will try like hell to escape such areas. In the end such communities are left with narrow demographics: religious fundamentalists, poor people and people only getting older. Most businesses depend on a work force of human beings.

Tomahawkin

Perfectly put. Its why College Students from Texas and Missouri go to Fayetteville as opposed to Jonesboro. That area being dry really halts any kind of economic progress an has for 2 decades plus. Sorry for this thread going off topic. It will get back to form once we see the routing of IH 57, hopefully in a few months

Rothman

How ridiculous it is that alcohol has such control over local economies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bobby5280

That's life in America. What people do for leisure during their free time is every bit as important to a local economy as going to work or going to church. Some people like having a beer at a sports bar while watching the big game with a bunch of friends. Young people like to go to night clubs or venues to see live bands perform. Beer and mixed drinks are a staple of those places. I have a lot of friends who go boating, camping and grilling out. Coolers filled with drinks including cold beer are common to that activity.

If someone chooses not to drink, either for health purposes or for religious views that's great. That's that person's choice. It's another thing for town fathers to force that choice on everyone living in the zip code. Unless the town is a bastion of unique forms of recreation the place is going to sound like crickets chirping on the weekend. Dead.

In the coming years and decades cities and towns will have to fight harder to attract and retain educated/skilled young workers and families. Oklahoma has had its own tradition of bible belt laws. Not long ago the state's voters chose to abolish certain liquor laws (liquor stores couldn't sell cold beer, grocery stores and convenience stores couldn't sell strong beer, etc). The new law is going into effect this November, which will put the state more on par with neighboring states.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 25, 2018, 08:58:31 PM
That's life in America. What people do for leisure during their free time is every bit as important to a local economy as going to work or going to church. Some people like having a beer at a sports bar while watching the big game with a bunch of friends. Young people like to go to night clubs or venues to see live bands perform. Beer and mixed drinks are a staple of those places. I have a lot of friends who go boating, camping and grilling out. Coolers filled with drinks including cold beer are common to that activity.

If someone chooses not to drink, either for health purposes or for religious views that's great. That's that person's choice. It's another thing for town fathers to force that choice on everyone living in the zip code. Unless the town is a bastion of unique forms of recreation the place is going to sound like crickets chirping on the weekend. Dead.

In the coming years and decades cities and towns will have to fight harder to attract and retain educated/skilled young workers and families. Oklahoma has had its own tradition of bible belt laws. Not long ago the state's voters chose to abolish certain liquor laws (liquor stores couldn't sell cold beer, grocery stores and convenience stores couldn't sell strong beer, etc). The new law is going into effect this November, which will put the state more on par with neighboring states.

Unfortunately, some people professing certain religious standards feel that they're not living up to their convictions unless they can control their environment as well -- hence the plethora of "blue laws" common until just the past few decades.  Remember, a large number of the original settlers/immigrants to this continent were folks who found 17th-century Britain too liberal for their tastes -- besides, the Crown looked unfavorably on the burning of those deemed to be witches (transferred to North America, where for a while it was "out of sight, out of mind!").

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.