News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Control Cities full Interstate list

Started by bassoon1986, November 26, 2017, 02:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Brandon on November 27, 2017, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 27, 2017, 09:18:57 AM
Indiana:
I-80 EB: South Bend/Detroit west of Toll Road/I-94 interchange, South Bend between Toll Road/I-94 interchange and IN 933, Toledo east of IN 933

South Bend never appears on any signs for a control city, just the mileage signs.  80's eastbound control is "Detroit" west of Exit 16, and "Ohio" east of there.

I-80 WB: South Bend east of IN 933, Chicago west of IN 933

Again, South Bend never is on the control signage.  It's all "Chicago".

I-90 EB: South Bend west of IN 933, Toledo east of IN 933
I-90 WB: South Bend east of IN 933, Chicago west of IN 933

Nope.  It's all "Chicago" and "Ohio" on the Toll Road.

I-94 EB: South Bend/Detroit west of Toll Road/I-94 interchange, Detroit east of Toll Road/I-94 interchange
I-94 WB: Chicago for entire length

It's only "Chicago" and "Detroit".

I thought we were doing what we think should be signed, not what is signed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PM
Massachusetts

I-84: Hartford (WB), TO I-90 (EB). NOTE: NYC used WB on I-90 Exit 9 signage
Update: NYC is also used on the new EB I-90 Exit 9 signage (not something that I would've done/recommended).  Boston is also used on some EB I-84 ramp signage.
I-93: Canton (SB), Cape Cod (SB) Quincy, Boston, Concord (NB)
Braintree is also used on some NB & SB signage.  Dedham & Providence, RI are also used on some SB signage.

I-95: Providence (SB), Boston, Waltham, Portsmouth (NB).  NOTE: Old signage uses South Shore/Cape Cod SB and NH-Maine NB
See my earlier reply (#24) to Roadgeekteen's post (Reply #21) on the previous page.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PMI-290: Auburn (WB), Worcester, Marlborough (EB)
One old sign at the MA 70 interchange lists Shrewsbury (along with Marlborough) as an EB I-290 city.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PMI-395: New London (SB), Worcester (NB)
Some older signs still list Norwich as a SB I-395 city.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PMI-495: Cape Cod (SB), Taunton (SB; newer signage), Worcester, Marlboro(ugh), Lowell, Lawrence, Portsmouth.  NOTE: NH-Maine used NB on older Mass Pike signage
While such has only recently appeared on new signage off I-90/Mass Pike, Taunton's been listed on other I-495 signage ever since the extension between I-95 & MA 24 opened circa 1982 (& took over most of MA 25 shortly thereafter).  Middleboro, Haverhill & Salisbury are also listed on signs.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PMUS 1 (NE Expwy): Boston (SB), Charlestown (NB)
Charlestown's hasn't been used as a US 1 control city for quite some time.  Revere, Saugus & Newburyport are also on some NB signage.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PMMA 2 (Expressway): Greenfield, Fitchburg, Leominster, Boston (EB)
Cambridge & Concord are used as well.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PMMA/US 3: Cape Cod (SB), Plymouth (SB), Quincy (SB), Boston, Burlington (SB), Nashua
Lowell (for US 3) & Braintree (for MA 3) are used as well.

MA 24: Tiverton/Newport (SB), Fall River, Brocton, Boston (NB)
That's Brockton BTW.  :) 

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PMMA 25: TO I-195/I-495 (WB), Cape Cod (EB)
While the TO 195-495 listings are indeed on WB MA 25 signage; such aren't control cities.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PMMA 128 (standalone portion): Boston (WB), Rockport (EB)
Gloucester appears on the majority of 128 NB (should be EB) signage.  Beverly (both directions) & Peabody (SB/WB) are also used.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 28, 2017, 02:37:53 PM
I thought we were doing what we think should be signed, not what is signed.

This is about what actually is signed.  Otherwise, it'd be in the Fictional section.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

lepidopteran

Quote from: epzik8 on November 26, 2017, 06:52:30 PM
Maryland has:
I-495 Baltimore, Bethesda, Northern Virginia, Silver Spring
You also have Richmond on the inner loop in places.  Plus there's at least one "Andrews AFB" on a pull-through BGS, and I think there's one before the US-1 on-ramp as well.  This is actually outdated, as the military base is now known as "Joint Base Andrews".

nexus73

Back in WW2, a joke sign that got put up in overseas locations was "Los Angeles City Limits".  In that same vein I think every highway in the lower 48 should have LA as a control city.  After all, all roads lead to Rome, er, LA!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Takumi

Quote from: lepidopteran on November 28, 2017, 10:15:29 PM
Maryland has:
You also have Richmond on the inner loop in places.  Plus there's at least one "Andrews AFB" on a pull-through BGS, and I think there's one before the US-1 on-ramp as well.  This is actually outdated, as the military base is now known as "Joint Base Andrews".
I seem to remember Richmond on I-97 once or twice as well.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

oscar

In Hawaii, Aiea is a control city on at least one of the Interstates (I haven't nailed down how many or which ones). I mention that only because:

-- The H-3 item in AASHTO's control city list misspells Aiea as "Aica", and also Kaneohe as "Kancohe". Never mind that there is no "c" in the Hawaiian alphabet.

-- Aiea is among the shortest control city names (though there are at least four other four-letter control cities, and at least Rye is shorter), and definitely has the fewest consonants.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Maryland has:

There are also two instances of Alexandria as a control city on Maryland's Inner Loop on the diagrammatic advance signs for the "Local"/"Thru" split for the Wilson Bridge–the "Local" lanes have a control city of Alexandria and the "Thru" lanes have a control city of Richmond.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

Maryland has:

For the Beltway, starting at the I-95/I-395 interchange in Springfield:

Outer Loop:  Baltimore (the sign from I-95 NB also lists New York),  Alexandria/Baltimore (at the local/express split), Baltimore, College Park/Baltimore, Silver Spring, Silver Spring/Bethesda, Bethesda/Northern Virginia, Northern Virginia, Tysons Corner/Richmond, Alexandria/Richmond

Inner Loop: Tysons Corner, Tysons Corner/Rockville, Rockville/Baltimore, Bethesda/Baltimore, Silver Spring/Baltimore, College Park/Baltimore, Andrews AFB/Richmond, Alexandria/Richmond (At the local/express split)

As you can see, there is a lot of double control cities, which IMO is a good thing.  The primary controls are Baltimore and Richmond and the others act as secondary controls or are signed when neither Baltimore nor Richmond would make sense.  (Although, there is the confusion at the BW Pkwy where the control for both the Beltway and the Parkway are both Baltimore.) Washington DC is occasionally signed as a secondary control on roads leading to the Beltway, but never on the pull-through signs of the Beltway itself, to lead to the most direct way to reach Washington DC by limited access highway.  This is needed because of the many unbuilt planned freeways within the Beltway. (I-270 traffic to DC is directed to Northern Virginia and the GW Pkwy, I-95 traffic from Baltimore to DC is directed toward Richmond and the BW Pkwy.)

IMO, MD should not use Northern Virginia as a control.  These should be replaced with Tysons Corner, which is much more specific.  Then, Tysons Corner would be a third primary control for the Beltway and should be the main control signed on every sign of the outerloop beginning at I-95 in College Park. IMO, every pull-through sign on the Beltway (and roads leading to the Beltway) should have either Baltimore, Richmond, or Tysons Corner as a control, with secondary controls like Alexandria, Bethesda (but not Rockville), Silver Spring, College Park, and Joint Base Andrews.

1995hoo

I doubt Maryland wants to advertise Tysons Corner. They'd rather shoppers stay in Maryland and spend their money there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: MCRoads on November 27, 2017, 11:28:25 AM
I'll play along.

Oklahoma:

I-40 Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Little Rock
I-44 Wichita Falls, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Joplin, St Luis
I-35 Dallas, Oklahoma City, Wichita, Kansas City

Corrections: Fort Smith is used instead of Little Rock, Lawton is used between Wichita Falls and OKC, and neither St. Louis nor Kansas City are signed in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

paulthemapguy

Just wanted to say that I like this thread.  It's a challenge thread in disguise, in a way, but it's a challenge that gets something done through getting people to collaborate.  Perhaps we could compile these lists into a comprehensive guide on a website (probably AAroads for obvious reasons)?  Our combined efforts in trying to complete a collection of information could be formed into a wiki of some sort.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.