News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highest milepost on a US highway

Started by OCGuy81, November 26, 2017, 07:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

The highest mileage for an interstate in a single state is Interstate 10 in Texas (880) followed by Interstate 5 in California (796).

What is the highest milepost on a US highway in any given state?

Maybe 83 or 87 in Texas? 95 in Nevada? 2 in Montana?

SectorZ

893 for US 83 in Texas appears to be the most?

US 101 in California has 808 miles, and curious if it was over 900 miles when it used to start in San Diego.

oscar

Quote from: SectorZ on November 26, 2017, 07:17:27 PM
893 for US 83 in Texas appears to be the most?

US 101 in California has 808 miles, and curious if it was over 900 miles when it used to start in San Diego.

Of course, there are no physical mileposts in California, only postmiles that reset to zero most every time a highway crosses a county line. US 101's highest numbered exit (based on total mileage from the beginning of the route) is exit 794 to US 199, about fifteen miles south of the Oregon border.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Mapmikey

Texas works on a grid system, so it is a little weird.

US 190 has a post at mile 878 - https://goo.gl/maps/pWMf1ekCnvP2.  This is the US route that gets the furthest east in Texas.

US 281 in Brownsville is only 838.

Bickendan

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 26, 2017, 08:15:00 PM

US 190 has a post at mile 878 - https://goo.gl/maps/pWMf1ekCnvP2.  This is the US route that gets the furthest east in Texas.

But, since US 190 is just about 600 miles long in Texas, I wonder if the initial 280 miles are on I-10 from the NM/TX border.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Bickendan on November 27, 2017, 06:23:46 PM

But, since US 190 is just about 600 miles long in Texas, I wonder if the initial 280 miles are on I-10 from the NM/TX border.

Reference markers are strictly grid based, beginning at either the north or west end, then adding 2 every 2 miles.  If US 190 started at US 59 instead of I-10 its last marker would still be in the 800s.

Here is a 746 marker on the very short TX 327 https://goo.gl/maps/7hXCNTNscEk

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 26, 2017, 07:06:14 PM
95 in Nevada?

Like California, Nevada uses county-based postmiles to mark distances along its highways (though they call them "mileposts" unlike California) and do not include statewide mileage along non-Interstates. Also, US-95 tends to spend roughly an equal amount of time in each county it passes through, so you probably wouldn't get one over maybe 150.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

wxfree

Texas reference markers are used on non-Interstate highways.  They increase by 2 every two miles, but they are not mileposts.  The first marker on US 190 is 276, which is how many miles that location is from the longitude of west end of the state.  The highest marker is 994 near the south end of US 67.  That marker is 753 miles from the north end of the highway in the state, which is at marker 212, which is how many miles south that location is from the latitude of the north end of the state.  212 plus 753 does not add up to 994.  This is because extra markers are added at some county lines, with two added to the previous marker regardless of how far away it is.  The extra marker is not used if the previous or next one is considered to be close enough to the county line.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

roadfro

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 27, 2017, 08:23:04 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 26, 2017, 07:06:14 PM
95 in Nevada?

Like California, Nevada uses county-based postmiles to mark distances along its highways (though they call them "mileposts" unlike California) and do not include statewide mileage along non-Interstates. Also, US-95 tends to spend roughly an equal amount of time in each county it passes through, so you probably wouldn't get one over maybe 150.

The highest county-based milepost you'll find on US 95 in Nevada is 132, which is in Clark County just short of the Nye County line. (US 95 makes it up to 107 in Nye County, 99 in Esmeralda County and 92 in Mineral County; every county north of that is below 80.)

If US 95 maintained statewide mileposting (even through the overlaps), it would reach approximately MP 666 near the Oregon border at McDermitt.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Meanwhile, the closest thing Oklahoma has to mileposts resets after most junctions, so I doubt we have much above 20 or 30.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: wxfree on November 28, 2017, 10:11:45 PM

Texas reference markers are used on non-Interstate highways.  They increase by 2 every two miles, but they are not mileposts.  The first marker on US 190 is 276, which is how many miles that location is from the longitude of west end of the state.  The highest marker is 994 near the south end of US 67.  That marker is 753 miles from the north end of the highway in the state, which is at marker 212, which is how many miles south that location is from the latitude of the north end of the state.  212 plus 753 does not add up to 994.  This is because extra markers are added at some county lines, with two added to the previous marker regardless of how far away it is.  The extra marker is not used if the previous or next one is considered to be close enough to the county line.

So I assume this is basically how the mileposts work in Texas?

The distance from between MP-2 and MP-8 depends on which road you're on:  6 miles on the northern one, 8½ miles on the southern one.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 02:24:00 PM
Quote from: wxfree on November 28, 2017, 10:11:45 PM

So I assume this is basically how the mileposts work in Texas?

The distance from between MP-2 and MP-8 depends on which road you're on:  6 miles on the northern one, 8½ miles on the southern one.

Really?  That's wacky.  You should be able to zero your trip meter at a milepost and have it increase at one mile over the road per mile on the milepost.

kphoger

Sorry, I didn't grammatically phrase it as a question.  I was asking if that's the way it works.  That's what I got out of wxfree's post, but I wanted to make sure I understood correctly.  Also, I think there's a difference in assumptions going on.  Your assumption is that the mileposts are for the driver's reference.  It sounds like the Texas government's assumption is that the mileposts are for the DOT's reference.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

Texas' own description of it:  http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/trm/reference_marker_installation_procedures.htm

Go to Section 7, sub section 2, then scroll down to see all kinds of craziness.

Incidentally the OP question has never actually been resolved.  Technically, US 90 in Texas sees I-10's highest mile markers as they are concurrent across the Louisiana border.

If that is considered cheating, US 2 has a 667 marker in Montana.

NE2

The Alaska Highway apparently reaches 1422. (Note the capitalization of the thread title.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 04, 2017, 07:41:26 PM
If that is considered cheating, US 2 has a 667 marker in Montana.

But, at least as of the end of May 2015, no 666 mile marker.  :-D

I don't know if they deliberately didn't post one or if it simply hadn't been replaced yet since the last time it was stolen.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Quote from: NE2 on December 04, 2017, 08:29:44 PM
The Alaska Highway apparently reaches 1422. (Note the capitalization of the thread title.)

But it's not a "US highway", only a highway in the US. (In the 1960s, Alaska actually got AASHTO approval to make it part of US 97, but that was conditional on Yukon Territory renumbering its part of the highway, at which the territorial government balked.) 

Mile 1422 is marked by a prominent monument in Delta Junction. It is preceded by a conventional milepost 1421.

The numbers run so high because mile 0 is in British Columbia. Also, they doesn't reflect all the shortenings done by Canadian authorities as they straightened out their parts of the Alaska Highway.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NE2

Quote from: oscar on December 04, 2017, 09:07:46 PM
But it's not a "US highway", only a highway in the US.
(Whoosh) A US highway is a highway in the US. A US Highway is part of a special system.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bulldog1979

Quote from: oscar on December 04, 2017, 09:07:46 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 04, 2017, 08:29:44 PM

But it's not a "US highway", only a highway in the US.

I think he's referring to the difference between a "U.S. Highway", which is a segment of the "United States Numbered Highway System" that was created in 1926, and a "U.S. highway", which is just a highway in the U.S. In this case, the capitalization matters, just as there is a distinction between an "Interstate Highway" and an "interstate highway".

wxfree

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 04:24:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't grammatically phrase it as a question.  I was asking if that's the way it works.  That's what I got out of wxfree's post, but I wanted to make sure I understood correctly.  Also, I think there's a difference in assumptions going on.  Your assumption is that the mileposts are for the driver's reference.  It sounds like the Texas government's assumption is that the mileposts are for the DOT's reference.

The full description is linked to above.  I've summarized it before, although the summary is still fairly long  It's here:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9913.msg234614#msg234614

The difference in numbers accurately reflects the mileage between the points, except at county lines.  Another exception is bypasses.  Marker numbers along bypasses are given a suffix of A to show that they do not reflect accurate mileage.  The markers and numbers before and after the bypass are left in place.  However many fit in between those two are placed along the bypass and are just spaced evenly.  Since the bypass is usually longer than the original, the markers end up more than two miles apart.  The original markers along the business route are usually left in place and show accurate mileage.

I would agree that the markers are for TxDOT's reference, although drivers can make approximate assumptions based on them if they know how they work.  I do for long distances along a single highway.  They're small and hard to see at night, though.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.