I'm very stressed out about signal related stuff

Started by traffic light guy, January 04, 2018, 03:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: index on March 29, 2018, 02:51:01 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 29, 2018, 01:48:37 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 29, 2018, 01:13:42 PM
I personally think yellow looks better on signals, but that's just me.

I'm really torn. I'm used to seeing yellow signals in Vancouver (where everything is yellow -- housing, lens, front and rear of the backplate), and I like them. They stand out from the environment, which I suppose is the point. On the other hand, I'm very used to seeing all black signals in most Washington cities, which I think fit in better with the environment, especially in this darker and rainier part of the country.

Yellow signals are cool and yellow backplates are cool, but I can't stand them combined with each other personally. Looks really ugly in my opinion. However, I love the black signals and yellow backplates and the dark green signals and yellow backplates. On the topic of British Columbia, I also thoroughly like their overuse of Clearview on everything. There's something about it that other transportation departments don't do that I like.

I've also edited in FWHA on to the numbers on BC's shield, and it actually looks worse. Whatever font they're using on it now (helvetica, arial?) is a pretty good fit, despite being nonstandard. BC seems to be pretty good at making non-FHWA fonts look good on signage.

I can't seem to figure out what's going on in BC, as far as signal housing color. All backplates are yellow, and a retroreflective yellow strip is always included. But some signal housings are black. I've even seen blue and red. But the Province seems to allow any color, with black or yellow being the preference. Assuming a yellow backplate is non-negotiable, I also prefer black housings. Not a giant fan of green signals. They're common in WA, but they all seem dark enough that they might as well be black, but...no.

On Clearview; yes, BC does kind of do their own thing. They completely switched over in 2006. Nothing is off-limits for Clearview, and I believe each width has been used at some point (5W being the most common, and 1 being the least common AFAIK).

On the shields; Helvetica is the font used for all shields except for the "1" on the TCH logo (see two shields side-by-side here). Not sure how that was decided, but I do appreciate the Helvetica. I'm normally not a fan of Helvetica, but it works well in this situation. I'm not aware of any other jurisdictions using Helvetica. Neighbouring Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba use Clearview for their shields. Pretty sure the rest of the provinces use Highway Gothic.

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 29, 2018, 04:42:18 PM
I'm not really a fan of the yellow reflective strip around the edges of an otherwise all-black signal. Here's an example.

Neither am I. That's by far the most popular look around Washington these days, with a few holdouts (Bellevue being the most notable, with Tacoma also being slow to adopt). Here's an example from my area (near identical to what I see in your link, though): https://goo.gl/QhS5Uu

adventurernumber1

Traffic signals that look like this have been prevalent in my area since about early 2015 or so, when they also started phasing in the Flashing Yellow Arrows (FYA). Here is an example close to me.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 30, 2018, 09:18:47 PM
Traffic signals that look like this have been prevalent in my area since about early 2015 or so, when they also started phasing in the Flashing Yellow Arrows (FYA). Here is an example close to me.
That intersection is Doghouse Central!

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

adventurernumber1

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 30, 2018, 09:29:10 PM
That intersection is Doghouse Central!

iPhone

True, but I was referring to traffic signals that are black but now have the yellow outlining around them. There are many places locally, though, that have both the FYA and the yellow outlines.  :-P
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

jakeroot

They appear to be PEEK's, my new-found favorite signal manufacturer.

adventurernumber1

Here is an example of this in my area with the FYA.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2018, 09:56:47 PM

Oh okay, that's cool! Even though I don't have as much knowledge on them, from the way they look, I love them as well.  :nod:

jakeroot

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 30, 2018, 10:49:18 PM

Oh okay, that's cool! Even though I don't have as much knowledge on them, from the way they look, I love them as well.  :nod:

Not until this thread did I give a shit either. I never really paid any attention to the signals themselves, but now it's my favorite driving hobby! Thanks to this thread, mostly.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2018, 11:46:36 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 30, 2018, 10:49:18 PM

Not until this thread did I give a shit either. I never really paid any attention to the signals themselves, but now it's my favorite driving hobby! Thanks to this thread, mostly.

Same here. Given Oklahoma's schizophrenia when it comes to anything transportation-related, I'm having fun constructing theories for why a given intersection might use one signal type and not another. I'm noticing that OkDOT tends to heavily favor the Eagle Durasigs, but I've seen McCains and Peeks on state highways. There's lots of mastarms in Norman with one signal type for the through movements and then a four-section McCain for the left turn signals–obviously whenever Norman switched to the FYA, they bought in bulk...

I am not entirely sure what determines who is responsible for signal specifications and installation around here–unlike in Missouri, mastarm signage on state highways follows city standards, and signal housings are such a mishmesh that I'm tempted to say the cities maintain those too. And yet the backplates were replaced on the state highways, and only the state highways, with new ones with wind vents and reflective borders. (Norman uses reflective borders on new installs, but never with vents.) It conjures up an image of an ODOT dump truck dropping all the old backplates on the lawn of Norman City Hall...

One observation of mine that hasn't been explicitly noted by our signal expert here: Eagle Durasigs tend to have thin yellow boxes on the signal faces, surrounding each lens and visor. McCains and Peeks don't have them.

I guess Eagle Durasigs are my favorite now–jakeroot is a Peek man–are we to have some sort of ritual fight to determine whose preferred signal type is better? Or will a 65-page thread on the subject suffice?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 01, 2018, 03:02:43 AM
One observation of mine that hasn't been explicitly noted by our signal expert here: Eagle Durasigs tend to have thin yellow boxes on the signal faces, surrounding each lens and visor. McCains and Peeks don't have them.
That's due to the way Durasigs (and by extension, Alusigs, their aluminum counterparts) are built, and really only occurs on those signals with different colors for the doors/visors and the bodies.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 01, 2018, 01:40:40 PM
That's due to the way Durasigs (and by extension, Alusigs, their aluminum counterparts) are built, and really only occurs on those signals with different colors for the doors/visors and the bodies.

There's very few signal types that I haven't seen in my area at least once. But I'm pretty sure those signal heads with the thin yellow box is one that I have never seen. I seem to recall either Minnesota or Wisconsin being heavy users of them (with black backplates).

I guess Eagle Durasigs are my favorite now–jakeroot is a Peek man–are we to have some sort of ritual fight to determine whose preferred signal type is better? Or will a 65-page thread on the subject suffice?

Fight to the death is the only reasonable option, since a 65 page thread is also suicide, just slower.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on April 01, 2018, 07:26:55 PM
Fight to the death is the only reasonable option, since a 65 page thread is also suicide, just slower.

What if I have no preference for model? (Colors, though–all black with black backplates is clearly the best color scheme.)

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 01, 2018, 08:34:07 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 01, 2018, 07:26:55 PM

What if I have no preference for model? (Colors, though–all black with black backplates is clearly the best color scheme.)

Then it will be assumed that you are a McCain fan, and you will be sacrificed early on for displaying such heresy.

Jokes aside, black-on-black is also my favorite.

traffic light guy

I have an empty feeling, due to the fact that other people on flickr have images of signals that I don't have. Out of all the collections on flickr, I may be the least favorite among the signalgeek community

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on December 26, 2018, 10:11:44 PM
I have an empty feeling, due to the fact that other people on flickr have images of signals that I don't have. Out of all the collections on flickr, I may be the least favorite among the signalgeek community

Nahh, no one likes a show off.

Roadgeekteen

Don't worry about it, your collection is not just defined by what is in it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Amtrakprod

I probably have less than you, only a railroad crossing Safetran Type 1 E bell and a McCain Pedestrian Signal

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.