News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite subject

Started by webny99, January 13, 2018, 02:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 16, 2018, 05:44:59 AM
Lunch

iPhone
Not a subject. If you can say that, I can say passing time as a subject.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2018, 10:44:27 PM
Lunch

iPhone

Perhaps Arkansas Roadgeek's school offers cooking classes?  ;)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: kkt on February 21, 2018, 01:58:48 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2018, 10:44:27 PM
Lunch

iPhone

Perhaps Arkansas Roadgeek's school offers cooking classes?  ;)
Heh. I wish!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

slorydn1

History-those who forget it are doomed to repeat it.

Unfortunately that didn't help me out much in the real world. Math and science are the keys to a lucrative future, but I just couldn't care less about that when I was in school. Don't be like that, bone up on the math and sciences.

As they say in boot camp, embrace the suck-it will be worth it in the end.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

MNHighwayMan

My favorite subject: Captain Morgan or Bacardi?

renegade

Quote from: slorydn1 on February 22, 2018, 04:24:11 AM
History-those who don't study it and learn from it are doomed to repeat it.
I modified this line for you.  I hope you don't mind,  but I believe this to be true.

As you can probably tell, American and world history were my favorite subjects, along with roadgeeking.   :awesomeface:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

slorydn1

Quote from: renegade on February 22, 2018, 01:12:55 PM
I modified this line for you.  I hope you don't mind,  but I believe this to be true.

As you can probably tell, American and world history were my favorite subjects, along with roadgeeking.   :happy:

No, I don't mind. Either way it's the same result.

My sophomore (high school) term paper for World History was the Battle of Jutland (1916), I was hardcore into naval history back then. My junior year I had over a 100% average in US History (my teacher always had bonus questions on the tests that didn't count against you if you got them wrong). My term paper in that class was the history of Schaumburg IL.

None of that did me any good in real life.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

oscar

In college, while I majored in economics, my fondest memories (aside from the poker games many evenings) are from one of my de facto minors, philosophy.  (My school didn't officially recognize minors, though you could go for a double major and be recognized as getting your degree in both.) One of the more interesting experiences was taking a challenging graduate-level course in ethics. The final exam was a closed-book three-hour take-home exam. I obeyed those unenforceable limits, and got a decent grade, though I suspect there was a more generous curve for undergrads. But since the course started with an exploration of ethical nihilism (we don't need no stinkin' ethics!), it's always possible some students got stuck on that and cheated.

I took four years of Spanish in junior high and high school, but never got the hang of conversing in that language (could do OK reading and writing it). But it took a college roommate to introduce me to Spanish cuss words, a useful skill you're not going to get in a public classroom. Learning about the pronunciation of vowels in Spanish (much simpler rules than in English) was also useful, and oddly enough helped me pronounce Hawaiian words as well.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kkt

Quote from: slorydn1 on February 22, 2018, 07:34:51 PM

As you can probably tell, American and world history were my favorite subjects, along with roadgeeking.   :happy:

My sophomore (high school) term paper for World History was the Battle of Jutland (1916), I was hardcore into naval history back then. My junior year I had over a 100% average in US History (my teacher always had bonus questions on the tests that didn't count against you if you got them wrong). My term paper in that class was the history of Schaumburg IL.

So which side did you decide lost?  The British because they lost more ships and men, or the Germans because they went back to port and never went to sea again for the duration of the war?

texaskdog

In community college it was geography.  At the university it was Speech-Communication. 

slorydn1

Quote from: kkt on February 22, 2018, 09:21:57 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on February 22, 2018, 07:34:51 PM

So which side did you decide lost?  The British because they lost more ships and men, or the Germans because they went back to port and never went to sea again for the duration of the war?

Tactically the British lost, for the reasons you stated. There were many lost opportunities on the British side, especially the point where the Royal Navy had crossed the T of the German High Seas fleet battle line. Admiral Jellicoe was so worried about the possibility of getting torpedoed by German destroyers and light cruisers that he let his opportunity to wipe out the German fleet and possibly end the war a lot sooner slip away.

Strategically, one could go either way as to who won. As you said the High Seas Fleet was never really a threat anymore after that battle. As you may remember, the Germans had been running various operations with their battle cruisers in the North Sea throughout 1915-1916 designed to lure elements of the Grand Fleet out to be slaughtered by the German battleships. The Battle of Dogger Bank was one such operation. Jutland was supposed to be another. The Germans never thought that the entire Grand Fleet would be at sea when this happened and it blew up into a knock down drag out fight between the 2 fleets. Admiral Scheer knew he was lucky to escape Jutland with minimal losses and would never risk the possibility of losing his fleet again. So on one hand the British lost their opportunity to wipe out the High Seas Fleet, but on the other hand the Germans lack of use of it after Jutland was almost as good for the British as having wiped it out would have been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.