Songs that annoy you/send you into a rage?

Started by CapeCodder, February 08, 2018, 03:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on February 26, 2018, 03:59:31 PM
I think I posted this before, but there's a few stations here in the Chicago area that are/were owned by Bonneville Broadcasting, which is owned by mormon investors. Anyway, they have weird censorship on their stations.  In the song "Rock Star" by Nickleback, the lyric "everyone has a drug dealer on speed dial," they censor out the word "drug."  Another long gone station censored the Panic! at the Disco song "I Write Sins not Tragedies.  IN the line "I chime in, haven't you people ever heard of, closing the god damn door?" they censor the word "god"

It's all weird to me.

According to my dad, when Kodachrome by Paul Simon was first released as a single, WLS would censor out "crap."

Speaking of "who the fuck are you," another one that seems to have slipped through mostly uncensored is "don't give me that do-goody-good bullshit" from Money by Pink Floyd.  I think I've only heard that line censored south of the Mason-Dixon Line, though.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2018, 08:19:04 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2018, 04:28:47 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2018, 03:19:49 PM
"Imagine" by John Lennon.

There are not words in the English language to describe how much I loathe that song.
You are just a bundle of joy. :D

The words and the music combine to make that one of the most depressing tunes I've ever heard.

John Lennon did not write upbeat songs.  The Ballad of John and Yoko was the closest he got, and you'd have to ignore many of the lyrics.

formulanone

I think I posted this before, but there's a few stations here in the Chicago area that are/were owned by Bonneville Broadcasting, which is owned by mormon investors. Anyway, they have weird censorship on their stations.  In the song "Rock Star" by Nickleback, the lyric "everyone has a drug dealer on speed dial," they censor out the word "drug."  Another long gone station censored the Panic! at the Disco song "I Write Sins not Tragedies.  IN the line "I chime in, haven't you people ever heard of, closing the god damn door?" they censor the word "god"

It's all weird to me.

And here I thought Nickleback songs just existed as a public service to make sure the tuning device in your radio still operated as designed.

texaskdog

Anything Sheryl Crow.  Terrible voice, stupid sound, stupid lyrics.

And Taylor Swift...I don't care that you have ex boyfriends.

And Justin Bieber, you're not Mexican.

cjk374

Quote from: texaskdog on March 26, 2018, 04:13:27 PM

Take back what you said about Cheryl!!  :biggrin: (agreement about the other 2 knotheads though  :pan: ) She is hot & has great tunes!  :love:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

roadman65

I hate Club Novae's version of the Bill Wither's Classic song Lean on Me with their rapping over the song it self.

BTW, I know someone tried to correct me in previous posts and say that their version is not rap, however to me if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, then it must be duck.  Many Hip Hop, R & B, and Rap all have the same modus operandi, and until they prove different they are not and not that I got anything against R & B or the like, just that rap annoys me as its go no melody and does nothing for me personally.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

adventurernumber1

I have a new song to add to my "hate" list:

"I Like Me Better" by Lauv

I heard this for the first time in the radio in the car earlier today. Usually I stick to those two local radio stations that play mostly older stuff (one is Classic Rock, and one has a variety of older music), but I was in someone else's car today, so I did not have that luxury this time.  :-D

It was definitely a few minutes of torture for me.  X-(  :-/
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 26, 2018, 03:25:32 PM

It's all weird to me.

According to my dad, when Kodachrome by Paul Simon was first released as a single, WLS would censor out "crap."

Speaking of "who the fuck are you," another one that seems to have slipped through mostly uncensored is "don't give me that do-goody-good bullshit" from Money by Pink Floyd.  I think I've only heard that line censored south of the Mason-Dixon Line, though.

I think the most hilarious radio censorship I've heard is from that awful Kid Rock song (but aren't they all) with the line "we were smoking funny things". A local station was blanking out "smoke", making the line "we were ______ing funny things", which has a whole other set of implications the original line doesn't have! Later on, the station seems to have caught on and left the original lyrics intact.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 27, 2018, 07:09:34 AM

It's all weird to me.

I think the most hilarious radio censorship I've heard is from that awful Kid Rock song (but aren't they all) with the line "we were smoking funny things". A local station was blanking out "smoke", making the line "we were ______ing funny things", which has a whole other set of implications the original line doesn't have! Later on, the station seems to have caught on and left the original lyrics intact.

The worst part of that song is the fact that he rhymes "things" with "things."

Now that I think about it, another, similar example is Semi-Charmed Life, where "I took the hit that I was given and I bumped again, and I bumped again" turning into "I took the __ that I was given and I _____ again, and I ______ again."  It turned into Jimmy Kimmel's Unnecessary Censorship bit, or whatever it was called, where he would censor out innocent words to turn the surrounding phrase or sentence into something dirty-sounding.

Henry

The word "ass" has both been censored and left in. For example, I've heard it edited out on radio stations that play the No Scrubs song by TLC (though not all of them do that), but in Andy Grammer's Honey, I'm Good, the line "you got that ass" is left alone.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abefroman329

Quote from: Henry on March 27, 2018, 10:10:44 AM
The word "ass" has both been censored and left in. For example, I've heard it edited out on radio stations that play the No Scrubs song by TLC (though not all of them do that), but in Andy Grammer's Honey, I'm Good, the line "you got that ass" is left alone.

I thought the rule of thumb was that it was censored if it was sexualized (i.e. "you're being an ass" would be acceptable but "nice ass" would not).  This sounds like the opposite.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 27, 2018, 10:22:06 AM
Quote from: Henry on March 27, 2018, 10:10:44 AM

I thought the rule of thumb was that it was censored if it was sexualized (i.e. "you're being an ass" would be acceptable but "nice ass" would not).  This sounds like the opposite.
The only time I've heard it censored is when it's referring to anal sex.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

texaskdog

Quote from: cjk374 on March 26, 2018, 07:32:01 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 26, 2018, 04:13:27 PM

Take back what you said about Cheryl!!  :biggrin: (agreement about the other 2 knotheads though  :pan: ) She is hot & has great tunes!  :love:

Oh yes, unattractive too

roadman

It's all weird to me.

In the early 1970s, there was a TV show called the Midnight Special (yes, it aired at 12:00 am) that featured live music.  Even though it broadcast outside of the 'kid and family friendly' hours, it was still notorious for requiring artists to censor their songs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman on March 27, 2018, 12:19:58 PM

It's all weird to me.

In the early 1970s, there was a TV show called the Midnight Special (yes, it aired at 12:00 am) that featured live music.  Even though it broadcast outside of the 'kid and family friendly' hours, it was still notorious for requiring artists to censor their songs.

AFAIK broadcast television is the only area the FCC actually regulates for content.  Basic cable could show whatever the hell they wanted, they just don't want to lose sponsors.  That's why Comedy Central used to (still does?) show uncensored movies in the middle of the night.

roadman65

Talking about censorship, if a song like "And Then I Got High" even with the J O removed from the song was allowed to be played at all simple words like "ass" are nothing.

If anyone wants to know about the song I am talking about it was back in 02 or 03 and sung by a group called The Bahama Boys or something with Bahama in the title.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on March 28, 2018, 04:25:42 PM
Talking about censorship, if a song like "And Then I Got High" even with the J O removed from the song was allowed to be played at all simple words like "ass" are nothing.

If anyone wants to know about the song I am talking about it was back in 02 or 03 and sung by a group called The Bahama Boys or something with Bahama in the title.

I know the song you're talking about, and it was intended to be an anti-marijuana song, which may have helped.

roadman65

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 04:41:40 PM

I know the song you're talking about, and it was intended to be an anti-marijuana song, which may have helped.
Sounds to me like a pro marijuana song.  However, JJ Cale's Cocaine (later covered by Clapton) is also an anti drug song as well despite the name Cocaine being said multiple times throughout the song.  So it could be.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

I think this is what you're talking about:
https://youtu.be/KeLHtrBzSP0
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2018, 10:30:25 PM

Sounds to me like a pro marijuana song.  However, JJ Cale's Cocaine (later covered by Clapton) is also an anti drug song as well despite the name Cocaine being said multiple times throughout the song. So it could be.

Yes - the song "Cocaine" (Eric Clapton's version is the one in which I am most familiar with) is indeed an anti-cocaine song. IIRC, it is in fact about how cocaine can really mess you up (and indeed it can).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2018, 10:30:25 PM

Sounds to me like a pro marijuana song.  However, JJ Cale's Cocaine (later covered by Clapton) is also an anti drug song as well despite the name Cocaine being said multiple times throughout the song.  So it could be.

Here's the final verse of the song:

"I messed up my entire life because I got high
I lost my kids and wife because I got high
Now I'm sleeping on the sidewalk and I know why
Because I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high"

signalman

The artist was Afroman, nothing with Bahama

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.