News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Most grades of gasoline in one pump

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, March 19, 2018, 10:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

At most stations I have seen here in Louisiana, there are 3 grades of gasoline and full-tax diesel at most pumps (some stations don't sell diesel at all). Those that sell non-taxable diesel, it is sold at a separate pump...some being a small above-ground tank with a pump on top, possibly a manual pump.

I don't know of any stations in LA that sell more than 3 grades of gasoline.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

abefroman329

Quote from: cjk374 on March 27, 2018, 08:25:05 AM
I don't know of any stations in LA that sell more than 3 grades of gasoline.

I could count the number of times I've seen 4 on one hand.  Wherever possible, I like to fill up at Costco, which only has two.

02 Park Ave

How available is premium non-ethanol?
C-o-H

abefroman329

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 27, 2018, 10:35:33 AM

It's one of the two Costco sells.

Brandon

Then, at the other end of the spectrum, you have some older Casey's General Stores that sell one grade of gasoline (87) with on-road diesel fuel.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on March 27, 2018, 11:35:54 AM
Then, at the other end of the spectrum, you have some older Casey's General Stores that sell one grade of gasoline (87) with on-road diesel fuel.

I have one of those type setups near me: An old truck stop; a few bays for working on trucks, and single older-fashioned 87 octane pump in which I believe only one of the pumps actually works.  If you want to use a credit card, you go inside and they swipe it. https://goo.gl/maps/FmVCFwPh4K92 

briantroutman

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 26, 2018, 03:08:08 PM
I've also heard that you have to run the tank dry and fill it up with E85 in order to actually save money over unleaded, I'm not sure if it's the same with E15.

From what I've read, fuels sold as "E85"  in the U.S. can legally fall within a rather broad range of ethanol content–ranging from about 50% up to 85%. So if your tank is already a third full of E10 and you add two-thirds of E85 that actually contains 85% ethanol, you'd be driving around with a greater ethanol concentration (roughly E62) in your tank than if you had run it down to empty and filled it up with a 51% blend that was labeled as E85.

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 27, 2018, 11:48:38 AM
Quote from: Brandon on March 27, 2018, 11:35:54 AM

I have one of those type setups near me: An old truck stop; a few bays for working on trucks, and single older-fashioned 87 octane pump in which I believe only one of the pumps actually works.  If you want to use a credit card, you go inside and they swipe it. https://goo.gl/maps/FmVCFwPh4K92

I have not seen one of those in decades.  I remember when they were commonplace.

seicer

I've seen those pump types in West Virginia fairly recently - along with the pumps where you have to rotate a dial to unhook the pump!

abefroman329

Quote from: seicer on March 27, 2018, 01:30:41 PM
I've seen those pump types in West Virginia fairly recently - along with the pumps where you have to rotate a dial to unhook the pump!

I have never seen a pump where you have to rotate a dial to unhook the pump.

briantroutman

I was going to post this over a year ago but never got around to it...

During the period I was in Tampa, I drove down to Sarasota one Sunday afternoon and noticed this Chevron station on a fairly quiet street. The signage was all modern, although the unit was an small neighborhood-type service station–the type that was prevalent 50+ years ago and has been disappearing for decades. But perhaps more surprising were the pumps with mechanical dials in front.

Excepting small stations way out in forgotten rural corners, the few remaining mechanical dial pumps I remember seeing around my hometown and in my travels disappeared in the mid '90s.

seicer

That looks to be a very clean setup - and nicely taken care of.

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on March 27, 2018, 01:58:11 PM
But perhaps more surprising were the pumps with mechanical dials in front.

Excepting small stations way out in forgotten rural corners, the few remaining mechanical dial pumps I remember seeing around my hometown and in my travels disappeared in the mid '90s.
At some marinas, there still active mechanical dial gas pumps out there.  I saw one off the Chesapeake Bay (near around/Earleville, MD) several years ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

seicer

There are some in use in West Virginia. I've not come across any others elsewhere.

tchafe1978

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7315288,-90.4817739,3a,37.5y,198.1h,94.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWevNGZ8hYY6pdD1QxE_gJQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Platteville, WI has this neat old station, B&B Service. It has the old time mechanical pumps, and they sell only 100% gas, no ethanol blends. Neat little station that's been around forever. And I believe they only take cash.

Rothman

Medora, ND has an old gas station with the old dials near the entrance to the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 27, 2018, 03:16:38 PM

At some marinas, there still active mechanical dial gas pumps out there.  I saw one off the Chesapeake Bay (near around/Earleville, MD) several years ago.

I wonder if that's because owners of boats that are rented just charge a flat fee for fuel regardless of how much the renter actually uses.  Or maybe you can't install pumps with digital readouts at marinas.  Or maybe boat owners just aren't that anal about being charged correctly.

Rushmeister

I regularly buy 91 octane E0 at a Countrymark station (Lebanon, Indiana). 

Love that stuff. I wish there more stations that carried it.
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

hbelkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 27, 2018, 03:16:38 PM

Quote from: seicer on March 27, 2018, 03:45:38 PM
There are some in use in West Virginia. I've not come across any others elsewhere.

Still quite a few in my area of Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Road Hog

Quote from: Rushmeister on March 28, 2018, 12:32:18 PM
I regularly buy 91 octane E0 at a Countrymark station (Lebanon, Indiana). 

Love that stuff. I wish there more stations that carried it.
More and more stations in Texas offer ethanol-free gas, but it's about 30¢ per gallon more expensive and I haven't seen a significant improvement in mileage, so I stopped using it in my car. I do use it for my lawn mower, though.

cjk374

I have yet to see ethanol-free gas in any octane level higher than 87. If the octane was higher than that, you would see better gas milage.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.