News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Saving/starring locations on Google Maps

Started by index, April 07, 2018, 12:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

Does anyone else do this? I often will save interesting and unique road finds on Google Maps so I have them for later reference, plus, to kind of "collect" locations. A pretty hefty chunk of my saved locations are truss bridges and interesting signals.

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jakeroot

My preferred (read: dumb) method is to screenshot the location (usually in Street View) on my computer. I scan through my screenshots folder from time to time, looking at my old screenshots when I'm bored. The location is in the top left of the map, almost always with an address that I can then type in.

Is what you've presented above a "WYSIWYG" type of thing (static image of the US with starred locations that you've photoshopped onto the image)? Or is that an interactive map? If the latter, I'd like to know what website you're using, because I've been looking for something like this. As far as I know, Google does not have a save functionality built-in.

index

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 12:59:41 AM
My preferred (read: dumb) method is to screenshot the location (usually in Street View) on my computer. I scan through my screenshots folder from time to time, looking at my old screenshots when I'm bored. The location is in the top left of the map, almost always with an address that I can then type in.

Is what you've presented above a "WYSIWYG" type of thing (static image of the US with starred locations that you've photoshopped onto the image)? Or is that an interactive map? If the latter, I'd like to know what website you're using, because I've been looking for something like this. As far as I know, Google does not have a save functionality built-in.

It's built into Google Maps, actually. I haven't actually seen others use this feature very much so I assume it isn't that often used.

\
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jakeroot

Quote from: index on April 07, 2018, 01:09:34 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 12:59:41 AM

It's built into Google Maps, actually. I haven't actually seen others use this feature very much so I assume it isn't that often used.

So it is. I can't believe I didn't notice that giant "Save" button before. I feel like an idiot more now than ever before.

I will definitely be saving this feature for future use. :cool:

froggie

I have a few addresses saved into mine, but primarily for travel time purposes and nothing that's "roadgeek" related.

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on April 07, 2018, 07:53:51 AM
I have a few addresses saved into mine, but primarily for time travel purposes and nothing that's "roadgeek" related.

(quote slightly changed)

This is what I read initially.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

J N Winkler

I have a sign catalogue that I use to track interesting custom sign designs and which falls into two parts.  One part is a HTML file with a StreetView link for each sign, all links being grouped by state.  The other part is a collection of StreetView screenshots, also grouped by state, with each link having a corresponding screenshot.

I collect both links and screenshots in case Google withdraws StreetView imagery or existing imagery becomes inaccessible as a result of road relocation.  I keep the information locally, on my computer and plugged into my usual backup strategy, because the ability to save locations is an API function that Google can withdraw at its discretion at any time.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

adventurernumber1

Thank you for telling me how to use this feature! Until now, I was not aware of it. I will definitely be using this in the future, so I will for certain be able to later access the neat finds I myself come across on Google Maps.  :nod:  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

SSOWorld

You can label items now - that way one can actually attach a name visible only to the user and will match the address and be used for find, directions (*cringe*), etc.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jakeroot

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 10, 2018, 08:45:13 PM
Thank you for telling me how to use this feature! Until now, I was not aware of it. I will definitely be using this in the future, so I will for certain be able to later access the neat finds I myself come across on Google Maps.  :nod:  :thumbsup:

I've already saved about five locations, from old signs to unique traffic signals. I will be using this feature a lot.

freebrickproductions

I hadn't seen that feature before, but then again, I really haven't seen the need to use it. When I want to save a location, I tend to make actual maps, though they generally aren't roadgeek related (such as these):
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5813422,-87.9740971,562312m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!6m1!1s1XzSjoD4qIAmQg-ua7GYbCQK60S0

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1805607,-86.2966495,79618m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!6m1!1s1gnWFSrZC0Y28oc4g3zyvqVz3WJgeHoJ1

I also tend to make maps like the above for when I'm planning stops for a trip. Very useful, I've learned!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

I have been making use of this feature for about 7 years now. Frankly, it's a bit of a live-saver...it's wonderful for saving the locations of what sites I need to visit for work, stay for the night, good places to eat, want to drive, to photograph, and to play. Though after a while, sometimes I have to clear out the places I haven't been for a while, due to clutter. I don't trust myself to remember it all, and it switches between my phone and PCs all the same.

The feature which lets you add your own label is a great addition in the past year or so, but how well it shows up on the map varies. Sometimes, the marker is visible at all zoom levels, other times you have to zoom in very close, or perform a search for the label. I save sites with interesting bridges, signs, or whatever else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.