News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Radar detectors illegal in Virginia

Started by LM117, May 13, 2018, 07:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: kkt on May 29, 2018, 12:21:43 PM
I don't want newbies to feel that everyone on the board is of a certain political view or that other views would be unwelcome.

I for one have never thought that, not even when I was a newbie.

As a new member, the fact that political discussion is discouraged should lead you to wonder why that might be the case. And the only plausible reason is that things have the potential to get ugly (and probably have gotten ugly in the past). Which means there are forum members with vastly different political views - or why would there even be a reason to include that in the guidelines?

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on May 29, 2018, 12:43:27 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 29, 2018, 12:21:43 PM
I don't want newbies to feel that everyone on the board is of a certain political view or that other views would be unwelcome.

I for one have never thought that, not even when I was a newbie.

As a new member, the fact that political discussion is discouraged should lead you to wonder why that might be the case. And the only plausible reason is that things have the potential to get ugly (and probably have gotten ugly in the past). Which means there are forum members with vastly different political views - or why would there even be a reason to include that in the guidelines?

That's a good point.

The average political viewpoint of all the members here is probably slightly left of center. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it isn't even relevant. The problem, which 1 stated above, is that the vast majority of personal attacks on this forum come from one specific user, and most of them are against conservatives. New right-leaning members might take this to mean that this is a forum for liberals and that they aren't welcome, which is exactly what we don't want.

abefroman329

I definitely cheered for NE2 when he took a dig at a poster who said there were too many Arabs living in Detroit. Beyond that, he's white noise.

Beltway

Quote from: webny99 on May 29, 2018, 08:11:25 PM
If every liberal was cheering for NE2 every time he took a dig at a conservative, I'd feel differently.
But I found out fairly quickly that NE2 was the exception than the rule... and even then, I found out about his snarky meanness before I found out about his liberal values  :eyebrow:

Jawcide - when you go to a beach known to be shark infested, go out in a raft, and start ladling chum overboard.

Some posters in online forums have a tendency to chum the waters, and then seem surprised at some of the attention that it attracts.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

US71

We've again strayed far from the original topic. Discussion closed

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.