Best song about being a touring musician?

Started by abefroman329, May 25, 2018, 01:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best song about being a touring musician?

"The Load Out/Stay" - Jackson Browne
3 (15%)
"Turn the Page" - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
8 (40%)
"Travelin' Band" - CCR
1 (5%)
The wrong answer
8 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 20

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 29, 2018, 10:00:17 AM
Do Aerosmith have any songs that mention Boston or Mass?

"No Surprize" (sic) from Night In The Ruts is somewhat autobiographical. I can't recall the lyrics offhand, but it's possible.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

spooky

Quote from: hbelkins on May 29, 2018, 11:03:55 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 29, 2018, 10:00:17 AM
Do Aerosmith have any songs that mention Boston or Mass?

"No Surprize" (sic) from Night In The Ruts is somewhat autobiographical. I can't recall the lyrics offhand, but it's possible.

"No Surprize" mentions NYC and Max's Kansas City, a well known NYC club from the '70s.

kkt

jwolfer

There are some good songs about being a band on the road..

A few I like that have. Not been mentioned

"Come Monday" by Jimmy Buffet
"Guitartown" one version by Steve Earle
"What's your name" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Baby girl" by Sugarland

Z981

abefroman329

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman on May 29, 2018, 04:19:29 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on May 29, 2018, 03:35:32 PM

"Baby girl" by Sugarland

Z981

Come Monday is not about a band (or even a performer) being on the road.
Headed out to San Francisco for the labor day weekend show. I for my hush puppies bon I guess I never was meant for glitter rock and roll.." is how the song starts. Not about a band per se  but it is Jimmy Buffet and the coral reefer band..   I take as a song about being on the road or at least an aspect of it

Z981

jwolfer

abefroman329

roadman

Quote from: jwolfer on May 29, 2018, 04:50:30 PM

"Baby girl" by Sugarland

Z981

Headed out to San Francisco for the labor day weekend show. I for my hush puppies bon I guess I never was meant for glitter rock and roll.." is how the song starts. Not about a band per se  but it is Jimmy Buffet and the coral reefer band..   I take as a song about being on the road or at least an aspect of it

Z981

You are 100% on target.  My bad for somehow never making the association, even though I know the song very well (It was my sister's absolute favorite Jimmy Buffett song).  Have deleted my original post.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman on May 29, 2018, 05:12:45 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on May 29, 2018, 04:50:30 PM

"Baby girl" by Sugarland

Z981

Z981

You are 100% on target.  My bad for somehow never making the association, even though I know the song very well (It was my sister's absolute favorite Jimmy Buffett song).  Have deleted my original post.
I think I read or heard an interview he had split with his wife and then went on tour.. they eventually reconciled so really it's more about the ups and downs of marriage/relationship.  And a musician on tour has plenty of opportunity to be unfailthful..

Z981

lepidopteran

And then there's "Homeward Bound" by Simon and Garfunkel

bugo

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 29, 2018, 04:44:08 PM

This song is just gross.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is gross. Their music makes me feel dirty. It reminds me of an outdoor picnic with greasy fried chicken wrapped in tinfoil. Some country music makes me feel the same way.

abefroman329

Quote from: bugo on May 30, 2018, 12:56:46 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 29, 2018, 04:44:08 PM

This song is just gross.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is gross. Their music makes me feel dirty. It reminds me of an outdoor picnic with greasy fried chicken wrapped in tinfoil. Some country music makes me feel the same way.

Yeah, but...no, you're right.

Scott5114

I know you're supposed to write what you know, but...damn, these songs always feel like navel-gazing. Like TV shows about actors or (worse) TV writers. Most of the audience isn't going to relate to it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 30, 2018, 08:29:12 AM
Most of the audience isn't going to relate to it.
I think a lot of people can relate to the idea of being away from friends and loved ones for weeks or months at a time.

Henry

"B-B-B-Bennie and the Jetssssssss!" (Elton John)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rushmeister

...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 30, 2018, 09:14:30 AM
I think a lot of people can relate to the idea of being away from friends and loved ones for weeks or months at a time.

Maybe? I don't get in bar fights, please unruly crowds, have to stay in a tour bus, stay in hotels and tear out the walls, feel the eyes upon me as I'm shaking off the cold, or any of that stuff when I travel, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 30, 2018, 10:20:30 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 30, 2018, 09:14:30 AM

Maybe? I don't get in bar fights, please unruly crowds, have to stay in a tour bus, stay in hotels and tear out the walls, feel the eyes upon me as I'm shaking off the cold, or any of that stuff when I travel, though.

I don't play a musical instrument for crowds, but I do train groups of people (ranging from 3 to 50 individuals) in software they didn't know they were switching to in the middle of the month. Yeah, you do feel a little bit that eyes are upon you, especially the first time you meet them. That you're strung out a bit after taking 50 flights in 3 months, making deadlines you don't want to keep, sleeping in a different bed each week, driving an unfamiliar car, and why isn't anyone paying attention to me among the dozen other things they have to prioritize right this minute? It's the same 'ol cliche...is that a hotel A/C or a fan?

Don't really relate to smoking the day's last cigarette, though.

Damned if my job isn't fun at times, though.

sparker

The Load-Out/Stay isn't even the best song about the life of a road musician on that Jackson Browne album; the song Running on Empty (also the name of the album -- duh!) is at least equally on point if not more.  Arguably Browne's best work (definitely his best album!). 

jakeroot

I wasn't going to pop into this thread, but it did make me think. Wouldn't Led Zeppelin's Ramble On sort of fit the bill? The song refers to [the band? Robert Plant?] going "round the world" to find a girl.

TheHighwayMan3561

Chicago "Together Again"  from Chicago X.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sparker

One could make a point that the genre deserved a bit of a send-up; for that, I nominate Joe Walsh's classic 1978 "novelty" song "Life's Been Good".  That song has been covered, karaoke-style, by myself and various passengers in just about every car I've driven over the past 30-some-odd years.  Pretty much on point if, in retrospect, a bit clichéd -- but fun anyway!

"I can't complain....but some times I still do!" is one of the underrated lines from the piece!

dcharlie

How about...

Rush Limelight

Journey Faithfully

LaVitaEBella

I would like to add "We are the Road Crew" by Motorhead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.