News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Double Interchanges

Started by mrpablue, May 26, 2018, 01:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpablue

I recently noticed that the I-10 / Texas SL375 stack east of El Paso also includes a full cloverleaf for the frontage roads. Is this a common thing in freeways with frontage roads, or is this interchange one of a kind?

wxfree

That's really neat.  I'd never noticed it.

It's just a four-level interchange because this layout actually saves a level because otherwise the frontage roads would need their own level to intersect.  This way each frontage road can share a level with its freeway.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

SSR_317

cpzilliacus

In a sense, every interchange on the "dual" part of the New Jersey Turnpike (Exit 6 in the south to Exit 14 in the north) has a double interchange on the Turnpike side.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jp the roadgeek

There's a few instances of dual interchanges in CT on I-84 and I-91 involving the HOV lanes.  There are ramps leading directly to and from the HOV lane at the same point as the interchanges in the regular roadway. Granted, they are mostly partial interchanges, with exits heading north and east from Hartford, and entrances heading south and west to Hartford. They have come in handy a few times, especially when it's near Christmastime and I'm heading to the mall and I have a passenger in my car.  Saves up to 20 minutes sitting in the bottleneck coming off the regular exit.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mrpablue

Roadsguy

The US 119/PA 43/PA 51 interchange is actually two separate interchanges at the same spot. You have the original diamond with PA 51, and the new semi-directional Y with PA 43 built on top of it.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Flint1979

We don't have anything like that in Michigan. In Detroit for the most part the Service Drive (that's what they are called in Detroit) either ends or curves into the other highway's service drive. Like for example, you're going eastbound on the Edsel Ford Service Drive (I-94 is the Edsel Ford Freeway which is where the service drive gets it's name) and you are approaching the I-75 interchange on the service drive, the service drive just curves and picks up as the SB Chrysler Service Drive (I-75 is the Chrysler Freeway in this area). The NB Chrysler Service Drive ends at Ferry Street and the WB Edsel Ford Service Drive picks up from exit 215C which is posted as both Woodward Avenue and Brush Street. For I-94 Harper Avenue at times acts as the service drive too.

Bickendan

Quote from: Roadsguy on June 01, 2018, 12:27:29 AM
The US 119/PA 43/PA 51 interchange is actually two separate interchanges at the same spot. You have the original diamond with PA 51, and the new semi-directional Y with PA 43 built on top of it.
Along that vein, I-210/CA 210/CA 57/Lone Hll Ave https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1198317,-117.8273837,1372m/data=!3m1!1e3

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.