News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Shrinking LaDotd...in Mileage

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, July 24, 2018, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Out of the update for the Louisiana State Highway system on the 'Travel Mapping' site, yesterday came this notice (from LaDotd) concerning their state highway system...

QuoteRight-Sizing the State Highway System – A Voluntary Road Transfer Program

The State presently owns over 27 percent of the public road mileage in Louisiana; the national average is approximately 19 percent. Only nine states own a higher percentage of public road miles than Louisiana and only ten states have larger state highway systems.

An opportunity exists to significantly reduce the size of the Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD), rectify inequities in the distribution of state highway miles among parishes, and empower local governments through the right-sizing of the state highway system. Under this model, state government would be weakened and reduced whereas local government would be strengthened and have far greater autonomy.

The Road Transfer Program has been established as the means to right-size the State Highway System to achieve the national average of 19 percent state ownership of public road mileage. DOTD has identified approximately 5000 miles of state roads that do not fit the state's role in the highway network. The Program involves transferring these roads, with the money, to local governments.

Participation in the Program is voluntary. Roads will be repaired prior to transfer and the receiving local governments will be credited for 40 years of routine and capital maintenance which can be applied to any highway capital project(s). The Program may be appealing to those parishes and municipalities that have the capacity for additional day-to-day road maintenance but lack the resources for capital improvements. Local governments interested in participating need to contact their DOTD District Administrator.
http://wwwsp.dotd.la.gov/Inside_LaDOTD/Divisions/Multimodal/Road_Transfer/Pages/default.aspx

If you click on the link above, look in the upper left corner of the webpage for the various districts for LaDotd. If you click on any of the districts, you'll then get a list of parish maps covered by said district. Those maps will show which state roads are supposed to stay, and which ones Louisiana wants to retire/give back to local governance.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cjk374

This has been in place for a few years now. I don't know  how many miles have been turned over to anyone who "has additional capacity for day-to-day road maintenance". (I didn't think this described and parish highway department)

This program could be the reason we now have LA 602-1 & LA 602-2 (showed up on BGSs in 2017 IIRC).

What I don't understand is....the road is turned over to the parish, but the state provides money to maintain it for the next 40 years. How does this help the state reduce expenditures for roads that "do not fit the state's role in the highway network"? From what I can tell, they have added a dead end dirt road to the state highway network since this program started. (Came across it accidentally once...gotta find itagain)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jasonh300

Quote from: cjk374 on July 25, 2018, 05:29:13 PM

This program could be the reason we now have LA 602-1 & LA 602-2 (showed up on BGSs in 2017 IIRC).

Where is LA-602?  Louisiana shouldn't have any state highways numbered in the 600s.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: cjk374 on July 25, 2018, 05:29:13 PM
This has been in place for a few years now. I don't know  how many miles have been turned over to anyone who "has additional capacity for day-to-day road maintenance". (I didn't think this described and parish highway department)

What I don't understand is....the road is turned over to the parish, but the state provides money to maintain it for the next 40 years. How does this help the state reduce expenditures for roads that "do not fit the state's role in the highway network"? From what I can tell, they have added a dead end dirt road to the state highway network since this program started. (Came across it accidentally once...gotta find itagain)

Some of the urban parishes are interested in acquiring the state roads in order to make improvements sooner than the state might have. LA 930 in Prairieville comes to mind.

I guess the thinking is that they would rather spend the 40 years of expenditures now as one lump sum rather than  in the future when roadwork is more expensive.

The dead end dirt road - are you referring to LA 1265 (spur to the coal mine in Natchitoches Parish)?

It appears that when the state deletes segments of roads, they are using the hyphenate method to designate the separate segments.

Where is LA-602?  Louisiana shouldn't have any state highways numbered in the 600s.

Two segments in Tensas Parish, one in Tallulah and other at Mound, connecting US 80 to I-20. There was a connecting segment south of I-20 that was deleted.

There are actually plenty of Louisiana state highways in the 600s.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: jasonh300 on July 25, 2018, 05:33:14 PM

Let's not forget about LA 611-1 (River Rd), LA 611-3 (Shrewsbury Rd), and LA 611-9 (Metairie Rd). Those always come to mind for me.

jasonh300

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on July 26, 2018, 02:12:41 AM
Quote from: jasonh300 on July 25, 2018, 05:33:14 PM

Let's not forget about LA 611-1 (River Rd), LA 611-3 (Shrewsbury Rd), and LA 611-9 (Metairie Rd). Those always come to mind for me.

Oh yeah. I forgot about those. They're some of the few remaining hyphenated routes in Louisiana. The whole 6## looked so odd to me that I thought there weren't any highways with numbers in the 600s.

iPhone

cjk374

LA 612: runs from US 71 just south of Bossier City to just end where Sligo Rd. continues to LA 157 at the Oakland community.

LA 615: runs between Haynesville & Shongaloo.

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on July 25, 2018, 08:03:51 PM

The dead end dirt road - are you referring to LA 1265 (spur to the coal mine in Natchitoches Parish)?

I thought I saw (at a very quick glimpse) it was LA 32xx, but I'm not sure. But Natchitoches Parish seems like the general area.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cenlaroads

Lafayette Parish has taken back a few segments from the state, with three new segmented routes that I am aware of:  89-1, 92-1, and 182-1.  I think that the other segments just have the original number, instead of 89-2, etc.

I believe that Iberia Parish has also taken most of LA 675 from New Iberia to Jefferson Island.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.