News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeek disappointments

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, August 27, 2018, 08:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

What disappoints me is restaurants with ridiculously slow service that rob us of time to see roadly things.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on September 01, 2018, 09:56:51 PM
Here's a years old one that I just remembered today. I was stationed at Fort Campbell right before the Gulf War and would see ads on the roofs of barns asking motorists to see Rock City. Four years later, I finally did happen to be going through Chatanooga with some friends and we stopped there. I was underwhelmed.

I probably would've liked it better if I was a kid, but Rock City didn't do it for me.
As I recall, Ruby Falls was no better.

Henry

Here's one disappointment of mine:

When I was a kid, I would see lots of proposed highways in the road atlas, but then as I became a teen, I found out that most of those proposals no longer appeared in the newer atlases because they were cancelled in one way or another (usually either by lack of funds or vehement opposition). The fact that Rand McNally stopped showing proposed highways around that time didn't help matters either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Quote from: Henry on September 05, 2018, 09:12:34 AM

When I was a kid, I would see lots of proposed highways in the road atlas, but then as I became a teen, I found out that most of those proposals no longer appeared in the newer atlases because they were cancelled in one way or another (usually either by lack of funds or vehement opposition). The fact that Rand McNally stopped showing proposed highways around that time didn't help matters either.
Then again, it was laughable how long Rand McNally showed the Nashua, NH bypass as being under construction.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

I felt a lot like you, but it wasn't their removal of these roads from newer atlases that got me down, and my disappointment came before I was a teenager. It was simply the removal of them from real life that bummed me out so much.

This is one of many reasons I stopped believing in the future... or at least what we used to think of as "the future."

mapman1071

That The Grand Avenue Expressway US 60 I-10 to AZ Loop 101 & The Paradise Parkway AZ50 AZ51 to AZ Loop 101 Were Cancelled 5 Years after the 1985 MAG/ADOT Freeway Plan/Tax was Passed in 1984.

freebrickproductions

Generally the replacement/removal of older signage and older signals is a disappointment for me.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

OracleUsr

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 29, 2018, 07:53:05 AM
Quote from: OracleUsr on August 28, 2018, 06:47:50 PM
When Dana and I were returning from Wilmington via I-40 back in April, I had my camera prepped for the "Barstow, Calif. 2654 mi" sign just past the beginning of I-40...no such luck.

I was on I-95 one time in SC and thought I saw a text STOP AHEAD sign and turned around at the next exit, returned to Hardeeville and back to the exit in question...it was a two-way traffic sign.

They just installed a new one around the corner from me a few years ago.  I wonder how they could still even be making them!

In SC, they had a special kind that boldfaced the word STOP quite prominently.  I saw a similar one just outside the Carowinds parking lot some time ago, but it's a symbol sign now.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

sparker

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 05, 2018, 09:50:09 AM

I felt a lot like you, but it wasn't their removal of these roads from newer atlases that got me down, and my disappointment came before I was a teenager. It was simply the removal of them from real life that bummed me out so much.

This is one of many reasons I stopped believing in the future... or at least what we used to think of as "the future."

Rand McNally started showing approximations of future Interstate corridors starting with the 1960 road atlas, either by affixing Interstate numbers to existing roads (where either the future corridor actually followed that alignment or, alternately, no specific corridor location had been determined) or showing, with their triple-open dotted line indicator, the basic location of new-terrain facilities.  They continued to do so until such time as most of the routes had been built and were in use; the fact that they ceased to show extensive future routing was simply because by the early '80's most of the routes within the system at the time had already been built.  With a few exceptions, even the 1968 additions had been constructed by that time. 

But McNally was inconsistent regarding removal of routes that had been deleted for various reasons (mostly, at least in select urban areas); while the Boston loops (such as I-695) were also deleted from the MA and Boston maps early on. the NYC routes, particularly I-78 through Brooklyn, were shown on the McNally regional metro atlas pages at least throughout the '80's.  But starting with about 1965, anyone who picked up a newspaper could clearly see that the urban Interstate map, as comprehensive and all-encompassing as it was circa 1962, wasn't to come even close to the alignments indicated as "future" on the urban inserts of the day.  It wasn't so much disappointment regarding the fact that these routes wouldn't be forthcoming as it was disillusionment with the planners who laid down those corridors for not taking the local citizenry into account.   To tell the truth, the early McNally atlas inserts did clearly delineate most of the urban "loops" and routings that were part of the original Yellow Book; looking at them in retrospect is an exercise in "hubris fulfillment" -- even to a 10-year-old kid it was clear that there was much overreaching taking place.  The following couple of decades showed just how much! 

jon daly

Oooh. I have some old maps. Now I want to get an old road atlas.

I  did find a post where Beltway linked a digitized version of the Yellow Book, but I think it only showed the national map and various urban maps.

DJ Particle

The fact that there are still sequential-numbered (or unnumbered) interchanges out there

....damn NIMBYs

I still hold out hope that if I ever go back to P-town, I'll see spanking new "Exit 109" tabs on the signs for the Highland Rd. exit.   :-D

Though...in MN, after the St. Croix Crossing (MN-36/WI-64) was completed, the signs for the interchange with MN-95 didn't have tabs, despite opening AFTER the decision to start numbering new exit signs.  I am disappoint!

froggie

Quote from: jon dalyI  did find a post where Beltway linked a digitized version of the Yellow Book, but I think it only showed the national map and various urban maps.

There are other sources of such...

bandit957

One of the biggest disappointments of my young life occurred when I was about 4, circa 1977 or 1978. Back then, there was a road called Lourdes Lane on the border between Newport and Woodlawn. My parents used to drive down this road on the way to a certain shopping center and for other destinations. I truly enjoyed this road. I loved everything about it. It was literally my favorite road.

But one day, I was in the car, and my mom was driving to that shopping center, and we discovered the road had been completely torn down. Gone. Demolished. Gone into thin air.

It turns out it was torn down to make way for I-471. But this episode fueled my interest in roads in a big way. Indeed it did.

I wish there were photos of this road, but I've never found any.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Beltway

Quote from: bandit957 on September 06, 2018, 07:40:00 PM
One of the biggest disappointments of my young life occurred when I was about 4, circa 1977 or 1978. Back then, there was a road called Lourdes Lane on the border between Newport and Woodlawn. My parents used to drive down this road on the way to a certain shopping center and for other destinations. I truly enjoyed this road. I loved everything about it. It was literally my favorite road.
But one day, I was in the car, and my mom was driving to that shopping center, and we discovered the road had been completely torn down. Gone. Demolished. Gone into thin air.
It turns out it was torn down to make way for I-471. But this episode fueled my interest in roads in a big way. Indeed it did.

City-busting freeways.  A term coined by Helen Leavitt, author of _Superhighway-Superhoax_, 1971.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jon daly

Quote from: froggie on September 06, 2018, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: jon dalyI  did find a post where Beltway linked a digitized version of the Yellow Book, but I think it only showed the national map and various urban maps.

There are other sources of such...

I like the following. It looks like something from a Civil Defense film:

http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/yellowbook/additions-1957.jpg

Henry

Here's another interesting find:

http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/yellowbook/numbering-1957.jpg

Among the differences I noticed:

I-12 is nonexistent
I-24 runs from Nashville to Chattanooga
I-72 is nonexistent
I-78 and I-82 run on what is now I-80 from Cleveland to Hackensack, with a gap running through much of PA
I-80 is routed from Cleveland to Harrisburg, on what is now the eastern I-76, splitting into two branches: I-80N (to New York, along today's I-78) and I-80S (to Philadelphia, continuing along I-76)
I-80N (today's western I-84) is numbered I-82, with an I-82N branch to Pocatello (later I-15W, now the western I-86)
The corridor that would later inherit the I-82 number is nonexistent
Both I-80S (today's western I-76) and I-70 end in Denver
I-84 continues to follow the US 6 corridor from Scranton to west of Erie
I-88 is nonexistent
I-90N branches from I-90, running from Buffalo to Niagara Falls along today's I-190
I-92 runs from Benton Harbor to Detroit, along today's I-94
I-94 runs from Benton Harbor to Detroit via Grand Rapids and Lansing, along today's I-196 and I-96, with an I-94N branch to Muskegon (later I-196, now I-96)
I-27 is nonexistent
I-29 runs from Kansas City to Sioux Falls, and I-31 runs from Fargo to Pembina, with no link between Sioux Falls and Fargo
I-67 runs from South Bend to Kalamazoo
I-69 ends at the IN Toll Road instead of continuing into MI
I-75 ends in Tampa
I-77 runs from Detroit to Port Huron
The corridor that would later inherit the I-77 number is nonexistent
I-79 runs from Akron to Cleveland
The corridor that would later inherit the I-79 number is nonexistent
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jon daly

I-24 is one whose absence I noticed OTTOMH because it went right by Fort Campbell on its way from Nashville to southern Illinois when I was stationed there.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on August 28, 2018, 09:35:39 PM
Yes, I've found that a number of roadgeeks are indeed disappointments.

I left the meet early, but I was told that you were disappointed when you found out who Tom From Ohio was.

Nexus 5X

formulanone

Quote from: bugo on September 08, 2018, 05:26:13 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 28, 2018, 09:35:39 PM
Yes, I've found that a number of roadgeeks are indeed disappointments.

I left the meet early, but I was told that you were disappointed when you found out who Tom From Ohio was.

I guess we can't all be ten feet tall or contain reflective buttons.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.