News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pan American Highway

Started by roadman65, September 05, 2018, 06:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

When I traveled to Texas, I used I-35 to go from Laredo to San Antonio as well as between OK and Denton along with I-35W into Fort Worth.  I noticed no shields for the highway that is supposed to be the longest motor road in the world.  In fact OK, KS, and MO also do not sign it on their parts of I-35 as well.  I am guessing its an implied route only and though real not so real in signing especially in the US.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MantyMadTown

Yeah there are so many routes linking Canada, Mexico, and the United States it's hard to define a single route as the Pan-American Highway. I think all of the major routes linking the three countries have separate names, like I-15 and the roads linking Las Vegas and Tuscon as part of the CANAMEX Corridor and the future I-69 as the NAFTA Superhighway.
Forget the I-41 haters

roadman65

I am surprised that I-5 is not it.  I-35, is way off for trade.  I-25 could be one as it would line better with some of the major mid Canada cities.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Road Hog

I-69 could be it, but not the entire route as proposed. It'll be the route that most closely connects the population centers of Eastern Canada with Mexico directly under a single shield, but that wandering boondoggle between Memphis and Shreveport is a dealbreaker. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Isn't I-25 part of the Canusa Highway or something?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MantyMadTown

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 06, 2018, 12:49:59 AM
Isn't I-25 part of the Canusa Highway or something?

It looks like it follows I-25 until you get to Cheyenne. Then it follows US 85 until you reach the Canadian border.
Forget the I-41 haters

NE2

There has never been an official PAH through the US.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadsguy

I think it'd be pretty cool to see the Pan-American Highway fully signed on BGSes and trailblazers like any other route.

But you'd need to actually get the states to agree on where it goes and actually sign it.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

MCRoads

It's not the longest motorable road, there is a 100 mile stretch that has never, and probably will never get paved (due to local opposition including drug lords with guns, and Mother Nature).
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

MantyMadTown

Quote from: MCRoads on September 13, 2018, 09:07:17 PM
It's not the longest motorable road, there is a 100 mile stretch that has never, and probably will never get paved (due to local opposition including drug lords with guns, and Mother Nature).

Yeah it's called the Darién Gap. There's no point in building a road through there because doing so would destroy swampland and rainforest, not to mention destroying the livelihood of the indigenous people living there. Building a road there would also spread tropical diseases to North America which they haven't seen in decades.
Forget the I-41 haters

Rothman

One road would destroy the livelihoods of indigenous peoples?  Someone has seen Medicine Man too many times. :D

I am more persuaded by the terrain and crime as real deterrents.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Rothman on September 13, 2018, 11:03:56 PM
One road would destroy the livelihoods of indigenous peoples?  Someone has seen Medicine Man too many times. :D

I am more persuaded by the terrain and crime as real deterrents.

That's just what I read on Wikipedia. I'm guessing it's because of the environment being destroyed that would displace all the people living there that wouldn't be able to find another place to live.
Forget the I-41 haters

Beltway

Wikipedia is only as good as its most recent editor, and I am not persuaded by the local human impact reasons.

The gap is about 65 miles, and half of that is swampland and half of that is very mountainous rain forest.  The main problem is that construction would be extremely expensive, and the traffic needs are not high enough to warrant the cost.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

english si

Quote from: roadman65 on September 05, 2018, 07:06:24 PMI am surprised that I-5 is not it.
Err, have a look beyond the US borders...

At the Mexican end, it is aimed down the massive cul-de-sac of the Baja California peninsular. At the Canadian end, it's the wrong side of the Rockies.
Quote from: NE2 on September 07, 2018, 01:21:08 AMThere has never been an official PAH through the US.
Operative word being 'an', given the whole Interstate network is officially part of it.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: english si on September 14, 2018, 07:04:27 AM
Quote from: NE2 on September 07, 2018, 01:21:08 AMThere has never been an official PAH through the US.
Operative word being 'an', given the whole Interstate network is officially part of it.

Yeah that just sounds like a sad excuse to not designate an actual highway for it.
Forget the I-41 haters

english si

^^ Indeed!

Not that Canada put in any effort...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.